Monday, March 5, 2018

Top Ten Favorite Book Quotes

  

 Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by 
That Artsy Reader Girl. Each week a new Top Ten list will be posted. Everyone is welcome to join. Link back to The Broke and the Bookish so everyone can check out other bloggers' lists. It's a fun way to get to know fellow bloggers.

This week is Top Ten Book Quotes. And if you're wondering why so many of mine are from Big Little Lies, it's because that book is a quote machine.    


A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"
"That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him."

Big Little Lies

"They say it's good to let your grudges go, but I don't know, I'm quite fond of my grudge. I tend it like a little pet."

The Cats of Tanglewood Forest

"I still don't see..."
Anything, she was going to say. But it wasn't true. The slope was now filled with small, dancing lights, flickering like fireflies. Only these weren't magical bugs- they were magical people. Tiny glowing people with dragonfly wings who swooped and spun through the air, leaving behind a trail of laughter and snatches of song.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)

Theth dominated the desert sky, hanging close enough for her to imagine that she could reach out and brush its rings with her fingertips. Without the haze of city lights, shimmering colors shone down unhindered- the glow of neighboring moons, the murky purple gauze of the galactic cloud, and all in between, nothing but stars, stars, stars. 

Conan: The Usurper

"Somebody knocked over the lamp, and somebody howled in the dark, and when we got the light on again, the old miser who owned the map was dead with a dirk in his heart, and the map was gone, and the night-watch was clattering down the street with their pikes to investigate the clamor. We scattered, and each went his own way."

A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)

"And so, in silence, we walked the surface of a dying world, but in the breast of one of us at least had been born that which is ever oldest, but ever new. "


Eight Hundred Grapes

"Maybe that was just childhood? You hurry up, pick the opposite path, try to make childhood end. Then, as an adult, you have no idea why you were running away. What, exactly, you needed so desperately to get away from."

Fangirl

"Look, I just need to talk to you," he said. "It won't take long."
"So talk," Wren said. 
"Yeah," Reagan said, leaning against the doorjamb. "Talk."
Nick looked like he was waiting for Cath to bail him out, but she wasn't in the mood. She thought about walking away and leaving him here to deal with Reagan and Wren, who were difficult and unpleasant a lot of the time even if they liked you. 

The Ginger Star (The Book of Skaith, #1)

"Presently Stark saw the first of the Three Ladies, magnificent star- clusters - the ornament of Skaith's night skies - that made it impossible to come by a decent darkness. He glowered at the Lady, admiring her beauty but thinking she and her sisters could make things very difficult for him." 

and

"It was night, with the Three Ladies shining through gaps in scudding cloud-wrack. They were in an unfamiliar quarter of the sky now, but still  beautiful. Old friends. Stark had grown quite fond of them." 

Big Little Lies

"Stick with the nice boys, Chloe!" said Madeline after a moment. "Like Daddy. Bad boys don't bring you coffee in bed, I'll tell you that for free."
"What are you babbling on about, woman?" sighed Chloe. She'd picked this phrase up from her father and imitated his weary tone perfectly. 


Big Little Lies

"Everyone was drunk. It was actually a great night until it all went to shit."

72 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with spotlighting one book more than once. When its quotable, its memorable. :) I feel like lots of classic lit novels are memorable in this way, though I probably shouldn't say that since I rarely read the genre.

    Thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! And I don't read a lot of classic lit either...

      Delete
  2. I love the first one! And the grudge pet one is cracking me up lol. The stars one sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stars one is awesome, and I love the grudge one too- seriously that book cracks me up!

      Delete
  3. Some books just have more quotes that resonate with you than others. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quotes you picked Greg! Glad to see Fangirl in there. It's due for a re-read honestly. Such a good book.

    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very fond of my grudges too and I don't like letting them go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for stopping by my website! I like the quotes you chose ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not read Big Little Lies. I think I'll go and check it out.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liane Moriarty just cracked me up with the last quote, and all her quotes really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed so much during Big Little Lies!

      Delete
  9. I love the Eight Hundred Grapes quote. So true :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh nice quotes! All totally new to me ones too!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Love that line about holding a grudge from Big Little Lies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Ned Stark quote - and the last one!

    My TTT: https://basedonthebook.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-favourite-book-quotes.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quotes! I'm laughing at the great night until we all went to shit! LOL. Been there. But this one... man, hit the nail on the head "Maybe that was just childhood? You hurry up, pick the opposite path, try to make childhood end. Then, as an adult, you have no idea why you were running away. What, exactly, you needed so desperately to get away from." Seriously, wtf was I in such a hurry for? Adulting is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that A Game of Thrones quote! I really need to continue the series this year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those quotes from Big Little Lies make me excited to read the book. I especially like the one about grudges and pets. Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the last quote. As is life lol. I really need to read big little lies

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I love the first one from Big Little Lies about grudges! It's hilarious and totally relatable. XD

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list! I especially like the first two quotes you've listed. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like the first 'big little lies' quote, didn't really care for the others on the list but we all have our likes and dislikes and that's okay.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can see why you'd choose so many quotes from Big Little Lies! I've been intending to read it eventually - if the whole book is that witty, I'm going to have to bump it up my TBR.

    Here are my ten favourite quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a great list! I haven't heard of Big Little Lies but the quotes have gotten me interested in it

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just saw the same GOT quote in another TTT! and I loved it. Never read the books though.
    I might need to get Big Little Lies!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great quotes Greg - I really love those first two though.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  24. Some fabulous quotes. I love Big Little Lies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great quotes, I haven't heard of any of those.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OK, definitely a reminder I need to read Big Little Lies already, because thise quotes are great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh, these are some really fantastic quotes. The George R.R. Martin one is a particular favorite of mine. That Eight Hundred Grapes one is just too real--maybe I should pick up that book. And that's a gorgeous paragraph from Becky Chambers. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great quotes :D I do like the GoT one

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't read any of the books in your post. I loved the quotes you shared... They make me want to read the books!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-favorite-quotes.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. Big Little Lies is AMAZING for quotes. I love that book! Although you missed my favorite one - "Oh Calamity!" :) I need to read Fangirl - it's on my list for this year!

    Great list as always. Here's my list this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting fact - when I'm on windows with Firefox I can post a comment via my Wordpress account. When I'm on a mac with Safari, it won't take. I have to use Google. Weird.

      Delete
  31. That quote from Big Little Lies about grudges is one of my favorites - ha! What a fun list, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The first quote from Big Little Lies is excellent! It describes me unfortunately. Fangirl is also excellent especially about Reagan and Wren being difficult and unpleasant even if they liked you. I'm not very good at paying attention to quotable moments in my books. I should though and add them to my reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great quotes. Love all of the ones from Big Little Lies, especially the one about holding grudges, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nawh, it's perfectly acceptable to have more than one quote from a book - some have 20!

    I love the first quote from Big Little Lies - that one made me laugh.

    Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm loving that Game of Thrones quotes. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Game of Thrones is the one I like!!
    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-book-quotes.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great list! That GoT quote is always one of my favorites. And you werent kidding about how quotable Big Little Lies is!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love that Game of Thrones quote! The Fangirl one is awesome, too. That’s one of my favorite books.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Seeing the Fangirl quote just made my heart happy :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love these! I actually now want to read the GoT books even more, because that quote is kind of epic. Also, Big Little Lies sounds So fun, I definitely need to get that one asap. And WOW, how true the Eight Hundred Grapes one is, why did any of us want to be adults, exactly? Such lies hah. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Greg, you made Big Little Lies sound appealing, which is a great feat because I do not read adult literature much. That cat book sounds so cute I cannot even stand it. And, you pretty much picked one of my favorites within Fangirl, even though I did not remember it. I just love Reagan and Wren kicking Nick's butt. The idea of them ganging up on him brings me joy (can you tell that I disliked Nick?).

    ReplyDelete
  42. I can see why Big Little Lies is a quote machine. All of those are really good!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the one about grudges that is so me! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I guess you loved Big Little Lies!

    That quote from Long Way certainly portrays Chamber's style of writing.💜

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love all the quotes from Big Little Lies, but the first one especially! What a great collection, Greg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I still need to read Big Little Lies. It's ok to share multiple quotes from a book. I shared my favorite Harry Potter quotes lol.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I can understand why one book is more quotable for you. One such book for me is The Fault in Our Stars. I just love that book and all of its quotes.
    Nice list! I loved all of your quotes :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  48. Big Little Lies has so many great lines. That book is so funny! I think I am the only one who didn't like the tv show. It didn't capture the humor of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm intrigued by the title, A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. I'm gonna have to go get that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I really like that first quote from Game of Thrones. It's very insightful. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. The quotes from Big Little Lies....LOVE!! I'm off to go check out what that book is about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. These are some great passages from books. I need to read Big Little Lies - I think that book stayed way too long untouched on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I LOVE this quote: "They say it's good to let your grudges go, but I don't know, I'm quite fond of my grudge. I tend it like a little pet."

    ReplyDelete
  54. The quote from a Long Way is such a beautiful imagery. BUT I'll have to go with the Big Little Lies one! Nothing like a good grudge in a book especially when it has been carefully tend to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. I'm on the list at my library for the audio of Big Little Lies at my library and I can't wait to get it! Especially after reading the quotes. Eight Hundred Grapes is on my list too and I love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I totally agree with the Game of thrones quote, as I tell my students more or less the same thing about being courageous and brave all the time...that it's ok if you're nervous or not 100% sure because you can't show bravery if you are 100% confident. (from Michelle @ Sherbet Lemon Reviews - couldn't get this comment to link to my wordpress XD)

    ReplyDelete
  57. I've just started on Big Little Lies! I'm really looking forward to it! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete