Amy at A Novel Start
nominated me for the award- thank you Amy! Even though I'm a guy I guess I still qualify, so I'll go with it! Just don't call me sister... :)
I've done a few of these and they are fun- a way to share a little about yourself with the blogging community, and get to know others as well. I'll pass it on, but of course my nominees can disregard if they don't want to do it. On to the questions!
1) What's your favorite book and why?
My favorite might be Planet of Exile
by Ursula K. LeGuin. A slim book, it's the story of a lost colony on a distant planet where the seasons last a generation. Kinda sounds like Game of thrones doesn't it (the seasons part). In fact, there are a lot of similarities between Game of Thrones and Planet of Exile actually. But it's a favorite because I read it as a kid and it had a big impact on me.
Another influential book for me was A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I read it many times as a kid, and the first few books of that series were big favorites of mine growing up. It's a different read now that I'm older, but it still has a place due to nostalgia but also by the fact that it is so influential. It was written in 1912.
2) Who's your favorite author?
This is a toughie. I might have to say JRR Tolkien here, for the incredible world he created in Middle Earth.
3) When and why did you start book blogging?
My first posts went up in August of 2012 although I started in earnest in June 2013.
4) If you could see any book turned into a movie or TV series, which book/ series would it be?
The Slated series comes to mind- a YA series about a girl who is mindwiped and begins to retrieve her memories even as she is watched by everyone, including her won family.
5) Name one book that makes you really nostalgic and why
The Sword of Shannara
comes to mind- yes it's a blatant ripoff of Lord of the Rings to some extent, but I didn't know that when I was a kid and I read that book so many times. It was a huge influence on me, and I still think a good read for kids getting in high fantasy.
6) Name three books everyone simply must read.
This is so subjective and should probably be classics or something, but I'll just list three books I like.
Star Man's Son
by Andre Norton. This is probably the first (or one of the first) post apocalyptic novels and holds up well today. My thoughts here
The Lord of the Rings- I enjoyed it as a kid, but I appreciate it so much more as an adult. The breadth and depth of the world, the appendices, the background of the world- it's just fascinating.
I just think the Pooh tales are so whimsical and comforting, and of course perfect for kids (and not bad for the adults reading it to them, either). So this would be my third...
7) Name three books/ series you really wish you could be a part of.
I would love to be part of the Lord of the Rings. To visit the Shire, Rivendell, to hear the elves singing in the woods.
Also the Game of Thrones world (the books, not the show).
The Star Wars universe.
8) Name three book BFF's.
I liked Regan from Fangirl.
Aragorn from LotR. Between the Prancing Pony and Rivendell, he hangs out at all the cool places.
Maybe Madeline from Big Little Lies- loved her character.
9) What do you love the most about reading?
I think visiting other worlds, being able to escape from the reality of the real world for a few hours. I always gravitated towards fantasy/ SF for that reason, to get that sense of wonder, and even though I read more mysteries lately fantasy fiction is still my first love reading- wise.
10) What's your top bookish pet peeve?
Right now, honestly- probably the love triangle in YA books. They seem almost omnipresent. I get that sometimes they may work, but they just seem like a check off item at this point.
BLOGS I NOMINATE:
Life, The Universe and Cats
Bingeing On Books
Little Miss Reader
The Local Muse
Reviews and Cake
Once Upon A Littlefield
A Nurse and a Book
1) Do you have a favorite book to share?
2) If you could go back in time, what era would you goto?
3) If you've read Divergent, which faction are you? If not, skip this one.
4) What is your favorite game?
5) What fairy tale setting would you visit if you could?
6) Do you have a favorite movie?
7) TV or movies?
8) Do you share your blog with family or do you keep it on the down low?
9) What is your favorite food?
10) If you had an all expenses paid visit to anywhere in the world, where would you go, and why?