Sunday, April 28, 2019

Tales from Northern Michigan #5


Tales from Northern Michigan is a new feature that will appear irregularly here on the blog. The point of it is to share cool stuff from one of my favorite areas- northern Michigan. As many of you are aware Michigan actually has an Upper and Lower Peninsula, linked by the Mackinac Bridge, and I'll be showcasing the area that we in lower Michigan affectionately call "Up North." It could be anything from music to wildlife to bookstores- you never know what you'll find Up North, so who knows what will turn up here? 

So without further ado, here's a look at the beauty of northern Michigan. 

This video is amazing and shows the ice bridge to Mackinac Island. Keep in mind the only way to the island once the straits freeze is by snowmobile, plane or ferry (if the ferry's running). So they mark the safe route over the ice (in other words, the ice that is thick enough) with Christmas trees so the snowmobilers stay on course. I guess it gets pretty scary sometimes! 

This video shows them in transit over the ice and when they reach the island it's kind of amazing to think they just snowmobiled over ALL that frozen water.   
  

Here's time lapse photography of the aurora borealis or northern lights.  


Night time ice skating, as seen from above with lights!


Here's a snowmobile fire on ice bridge.


And here are the ice caves that form on Lake Michigan when it gets really cold. And yes, these are real. 



20 comments:

  1. OH WOW it looks like such a gorgeous place *all the heart eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, how did I not know that you can see the lights from there! I've only seen them once while I was in Alaska but truly a sight to behold! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them a few times and they are amazing... I'd like to see them further north

      Delete
  3. Wow, wow, wow! 😱

    I have a friend who lives on South Bass Island on Lake Erie and I know they travel by boat in warm weather, but now I'm wondering if they get iced in too. I'll have to pay more attention next winter. I know he has followed an ice cutter in his boat a couple of times, so I was thinking they never get totally iced in, but now I wonder. ⛄

    Those Northern Lights are spectacular. We get them sometimes, but they are pretty puny. Ha ha. ❄❄❄

    Thanks for sharing! 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to me how icy the Lakes actually get! I mean that land bridge (er, ice bridge) is amazing!

      Delete
  4. Ice caves make me think about Ice Spiders! I seem to be obsessed with the thought of them at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual...these photos are amazing...have you been in an ice cave? It seems scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not! AT least, not the ones on Lake Michigan...

      Delete
  6. So pretty! I have only been to Michigan once and it was summer. It seems like a nice place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, all that! Plan to see the Aurora Borealis someday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, these views and vids are incredible! I've never visited Michigan and admit I know practically nothing about the area so I'm looking forward to learning from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our state is so lovely, I don't think I appreciate it enough. Thanks for sharing these videos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool! Though I think I'd rather visit Mackinac Island in the summer when it's a bit warmer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait!!! You can see the Auroras from where you live? Have you seen them? It's like a bucket list thing of mine. You almost make me like snow a little with these awesome clips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ice bridge and ice caves...nope nope nope. For whatever reason all that ice gives me the creeps. I'm so glad I live where we hardly ever get snow. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to know how they know it's think enough. There must be some type of reader that tells them. I haven't been on a frozen lake in my life. Looks kinda cool.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete