Sunday, April 21, 2019

Tales From Northern Michigan #4


Tales from Northern Michigan is a new feature that will appear irregularly here on the blog. The point of it is to share cool stuff from one of my favorite areas- northern Michigan. As many of you are aware Michigan actually has an Upper and Lower Peninsula, linked by the Mackinac Bridge, and I'll be showcasing the area that we in lower Michigan affectionately call "Up North." It could be anything from music to wildlife to bookstores- you never know what you'll find Up North, so who knows what will turn up here? 

So without further ado, here's a look at the beauty of northern Michigan. 

Here is South Manitou Island from an overhead perspective, shot by drone. Stunning images! I love the shipwreck just offshore. South Manitou can only be reached by ferry and is a backpacker's paradise.  
  

Here are some pics I thought I'd share. 


This is at a lighthouse park on the tip of the Old Mission Peninsula- one of my favorite places. 


Same place- the water level rises and falls dramatically, sometimes from year to year- this pic is a few years old. Last year when I was out there this was all underwater. 


Leelanau Books in Leland MI- also knows as Fishtown.  


The back area of Leelanau Books. 


Leelanau Books is just ahead and to the right- and behind is the harbor. 


Inside Leelanau Books. 


Dockside in Fishtown. 


Sleeping Bear Dunes


This rock pile is way out at the lighthouse point mentioned above- and is now underwater. 

Elk Rapids is a neat little town just north of Traverse City. 


Ginger Snaps in Elk Rapids.  


Here's a nice look at the Sleeping Bear Dunes area, which I'll be revisiting occasionally throughout this series. 


And this is an amazing look at stars among the dunes, complete w/ timelapse. 

29 comments:

  1. Wow gorgeous pictures and I love the video! So cool, all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water is beautiful. 💦

    I love lighthouses. 💡

    Can you dive that wreck? 🚢

    Thanks for sharing. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can! It's not far from shore. :)

      Delete
  3. I really want to visit Michigan one day. The world is so big with so little time!!

    Elle Inked @ Keep on Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to! There are so many beautiful places... :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pictures! I'd love to visit a lighthouse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much to look at and study! I love the way Fishtown looks! It’s charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishtown is pretty awesome. And it's tiny too- I mean you almost blink and you're through- but it does have some quaint little shops and restaurants and so on. :)

      Delete
  6. That harbor/beach area could rival quite a few of Brazil's beaches! I can't help but notice how clean everything is. People in Brazil (at least the ones I've met in these types of areas) don't seem to know what a trash can is :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha well we have some of that too! But it is pretty clean though- and Michigan has some amazing beaches!

      Delete
  7. I love this feature Greg. I pass them on to my hubby so we can plan a trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you guys get a chance sometime.

      Delete
  8. That looks like a tropical island from the sky! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures! Especially that flower lined street.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous that you're so close to such pretty beaches!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great look at Michigan. The book store looks lovely and those gorgeous dunes - no wonder that park ranger looked so happy lol - I am soooooo going to have to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, that opening shot looks like it was taken in the Caribbean. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How gorgeous! I have not been to Michigan yet but feel like I need to get there at some point Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow the video of South Manitou Island is amazing! I love lighthouses! Last fall I did a roadtrip vacation up the West Coast and stopped at every lighthouse on the way, up into Washington. It was a lot of fun and beautiful scenery. That Island looks very tropical. I'd love to visit the Leelanau Bookstore! Love all the white wood siding and bookshelves. Great post, Greg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That shipwreck *is* cool! The bookstore looks so nice, and I love that whole little area it's in, all the pictures. So cute! And that last video is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The area where the bookstore is looks so quaint! I’d love to wander around there and take it all in. Including the bookstore, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your posts on Michigan! We visit Leelanau books every summer. :) And I have never been to Ginger Snaps, that is going on the list! We are actually headed up north in a few weeks, but to the Mackinac area for some early hiking. I think we are going to try out the dark park! My husband has been trying to get me to go backpacking on one of the Manitous but I'm too chicken for the three hour boat ride.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved your pictures. I've never been there so it's nice to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Totally gorgeous! Who knew this was in Michigan?! ❤️ Thanks for sharing Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to sit and relax behind Leelanau Books.

    ReplyDelete