Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Golden City Vol. 4 Goldy

Golden City Vol. 4: Goldy

Golden City Volume 4 picks up right after volume 3 with Banks having crash landed on a frozen lake after escaping from the polar prison he'd been sent to. Assassins are hot on his trail though, and even though he's rescued by a woman on a snowmobile, his respite is short lived when the killers catch up to him. He's soon on the run again, this time with his benefactor in tow, and the pace barely lets up as Banks continues his improbable flight. 

The orphans make a welcome reappearance as well and Banks is reunited with the kids as he plans to clear his name. Mifa has gone missing and Banks goes to find her- I like how he bonds with the younger one, consoling her as she fears Mifa's gone- and this one is fast paced too, with Banks and his new companion wasting no time getting back to where the orphans are. The story flies from there with the Jackal reappearing- turns out he sold Mifa to a high end brothel called Lake Palace- and Banks setting out to rescue her. It's a breathless pace just like volumes one and two. 

There are some surprises as well in this one, with a shocking reappearance and a reminder of the catastrophic effect that climate change has had. The art is stellar as always, and I especially loved the boat towers that are all that remain of a submerged town- this world is vividly realized. The only issue I have is that the relationship between Banks and his new companion takes a back seat to the action- I'd like to see a bit more about the connection that clearly exists between them. Is she his long- lost childhood love? And the last page- beautiful- this series keeps getting better and better.   

8 comments:

  1. I've never read it but it sounds like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really digging the cover for this one! A shocking reappearance? I love those! By the way... are you caught up on WCA? BEACUSE.

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a book I'd normally read but lately I'm finding that when I do read out of my usual genres, I end up liking the book. I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to go on a search for these! I love the artwork and the stories sound super good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, up to 4 already! Glad the series is good for you!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete