Sunday, April 14, 2019

Tales From Northern Michigan #3


Tales from Northern Michigan is a new feature that will appear irregularly here on the blog. The point of it is to share cool stuff from one of my favorite areas- northern Michigan. As many of you are aware Michigan actually has an Upper and Lower Peninsula, linked by the Mackinac Bridge, and I'll be showcasing the area that we in lower Michigan affectionately call "Up North." It could be anything from music to wildlife to bookstores- you never know what you'll find Up North, so who knows what will turn up here? 

So without further ado, here's a look at the beauty of northern Michigan. 

First up is a look at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, otherwise known as simply the sand dunes. This video by drone captures an eagle eye view, including the extremely strenuous climb at the 12 second mark, sun- dappled forests, and the magnificent Lake Michigan overlook.   

Oh and if you don't want to watch the whole video, just the first minute alone really captures the beauty. 
  

Just a quick note on the previous video- as I mentioned, there's an extremely strenuous climb you can see at 12 seconds in, and also towards the end of the video. The Park Service recommends against climbing there, but in reality people seem to like the challenge or something. I think it actually hastens erosion of the dunes at that point, but the Park Service seems to tolerate it there so that people don't do it at half a dozen places? Just my guess. 

Also, every year there are numerous instances of people having to be rescued when they just can't make it. It's a 450 foot drop, after all, and anyone with a heart condition or not in prime shape is strongly encouraged NOT to do it. 

Some pics of my own. 






Here's an awesome video from a couple who spent the day hiking the dunes back to Lake Michigan. I've done this trek a few times, and let me tell you- it helps to be in shape and have lots of water!!


And here's a look at Mackinac Island, one of the cooler places in Michigan. No cars are allowed on the island so it's all bikes or horses, folks. Many people tour by carriage, or bike along the perimeter of the island or though the interior- there are roads, just no cars (other than emergency vehicles). You can see the famous Arch Rock at the 1:25 mark and the amazing Grand Hotel at 3:35.


And... this is fun. Suttons Bay was the scene of a Guinness World Record attempt- to have the most kayaks in one place. I guess the record has ping- ponged back and forth between here and a place in NY? 


And to close this out- here's a look at the Christmas tree lighting on Mackinac Island! 

32 comments:

  1. Definitely think I would avoid that climb but it really is beautiful so I can totally see the temptation as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done that climb (I hate what it does to the dunes) but the official dune climb, which is on the other side of the dunes, and the hike back to Lake Michigan are awesome. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are some serious sand dunes.
    I liked the Xmas video too :-)
    Enjoying the peak at Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Idk why but I especially like the forests in the video. Wow, that does look like a strenuous climb. The arch rock is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! The forests are actually part of the lakeshore, so there's no development- it's like another world. And Arch rock is amazing. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, Sleeping Bear Dunes looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow I didn't know of these dunes! So pretty! You took great picks Greg! Looking forward to more "Tales from Northern Michigan" posts! I'm dying to visit Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember going to Mackinac Island when I was little. All I really remember is lots of walking and fudge? Is that a thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a thing. Fudge and lots of walking :)

      Delete
  7. The dunes are spectacular! In the first longshot I thought the people were birds! It's mind boggling how big the area is. 😱

    Mackinac Island looks like my kind of place. I'd love to visit there someday. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mackinac Island is amazing. Hope you like horses :)

      And yes the dunes are breathtaking!

      Delete
  8. Didn't you get snow this weekend??

    All of that looks beautiful! The tourist department should hire you lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful area! And that is one heck of a drop. No way would I attempt that trek.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all your pics of the dunes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dunes are beautiful, and the views of Lake Michigan are stunning! Looks like an amazing place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am tired just from watching the video. More power to 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't watch the videos at work so I came back and WOW they are amazing! First, those jerks RUNNING past the British hikers... is it wrong that I hope they fell just a little? I really cannot imagine doing that all the way there and then all the way BACK, nope, I'd be trying to find an Uber hahah. My brother and I climbed up one, and it was pretty big, but just ONE and that was hard enough- and that was when we were both in the best shape of our lives and we struggled so... yeah. I looooove the lakes though- all the gloriousness of the ocean without the pesky salt. It's all just so LOVELY! And okay, I agree that the island is MUCH better sans snowmobiles! It's really gorgeous. What happens to the people who live there? Where do they keep cars?! I have so many questions on how this works in practical life. Because that amazing looking bridge must serve SOME purpose, yeah? Anyway, LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful location. Everything just looks so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How absolutely beautiful, and I will just have to enjoy your pics, because I'll be one of those people who need to be rescued.(lol) You know I love my trivia, so I'm impressed with those kayaks in one place. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, they all look beautiful! Mackinac Island looks really neat--plus, I say the more horses the better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know I grew up in Michigan, and I always loved when we went up north to Bert Lake and Mackinac Island. I love that area of Michigan! It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dunes look great and the water is lovely. I loved your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh it's stunning! My cousin got married on Mackinac Island. I wasn't able to attend but it was the prettiest location I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the dunes! I always wish I could go and just sit there without being surrounded by a million people though. I wonder if it is less busy in the fall? Have you been there then?

    That hike back up is no joke! We watched a woman take a newborn baby down once, and were very concerned! My stepmom who is outspoken even to strangers kept telling them not to do it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful state. Mackinac Island is one of my bucket list places, after reading about it in a book a couple of years ago. Fingers crossed I get there someday.

    Thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, so beautiful. I love the video. Why do people do that and then need to be rescued. Idiots.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete