Monday, April 16, 2018

Hawkeye Vol. 1 Anchor Points

Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 1: Anchor Points

So this was pretty good. I picked this up on the recommendation of L at Do you Dog-Ear? and I'm glad I did. It was fun and colorful and just what I needed. I haven't been reading as many comics or graphic novels lately and have been looking to get back into them, so this was a breath of fresh air and a chance to start a new series. And this was a pretty good starting point. 

Kate Bishop is Hawkeye- no not the Hawkeye from the movies, but the younger version, who's been sharing the spotlight with him lately- and she's moved to Los Angeles to find her dad. Or something. To be honest, I'm not entirely clear what's going on in her personal life, or why her dad is missing or not, but I can probably look it up and figure it out. The important thing is she's on the West Coast and doing some PI'ing. She opens up her private investigations business (although she can't afford the registration fee) and immediately starts getting mixed up in weird stuff. Her first case involves a girl who's being stalked, and when the girl disappears things get even weirder, with a mysterious cult soon coming to light. 

After that she gets an assist from Jessica Jones in a missing persons case, a case that has some disturbing connections to her own mission to find her dad. Writer Kelly Thompson brings some sass and snark to the character, and I liked her. I know nothing about her history or background, other than Jessica Jones is a mentor of sorts, and she used to hang around with the other Hawkeye- Clint Barton. She has no powers, she's just good with a bow, like him. I don't really know there are two Hawkeyes, but I just went with it. 

This is a pretty good comic, at least so far. I liked the setting, with the beachfront scenery and the chill vibe, and it's fun to see Kate trying to get her PI business off the ground. She makes some friends who turn out to be pretty helpful, and there's a lot of good humor as well. The only issue I really have (other than the lack of backstory) is the art . I like the cover- I think it's really effective- but the interior art leaves a lot to be desired. It's just not that good compared to a lot of comics. I kinda hate to nitpick the visuals but the characters look funny and fight scenes are all over the map. The scenery and framing shots aren't bad. I'd have to give it a C for the art and a B for story? 

29 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty interesting. I'm going to see if I can locate a copy at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are liking this so far! Great thoughtful review for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems interesting. Sorry you didn't love the art, and I find that a lot of comics that don't have great backstory. LOL Sounds like a good one to get from the library.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a good library read. And the art is kinda iffy, but it's not bad

      Delete
  4. Doesn't sound too bad but darn on the art not being as good inside as the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah if the art was like the cover this would be killer!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, well this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this one is a freebie on Prime so I might check it out.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo this sounds like the start to a good series! Thanks for your review Greg, I'll see if my husband already has it and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued by a female Hawkeye, but the lack of background story would leave me kind of lost in the story. Hawkeye isn't a character I'm overly familiar with, so I know absolutely nothing about Kate Bishop. I wonder if this is supposed to be a spin-off from another series or something. Maybe her character was already introduced somewhere else? Hopefully the illustrations get better in the next volume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt kind of lost but just had to go with it! A little recapping might have been nice. :) I didn't know anything about Kate either.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read many comics or graphic novels either so I just picked Bitch Planet . Let's see how it goes! Gad you enjoyed this one! I think settings are hard to do well in comics so kudos to the team!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comic looks interesting to read. I'll probably check it out later :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't seen this one before but will have to give it a look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you mostly enjoyed this! I was hoping you would. The story with her dad is somewhat explained as you go, but I wish we had been given more of a backstory for that at the beginning.

    I really loved the issues with JJ! Her dark humor mixed with Katie's snark was fun to read. I wish we had seen a few flashbacks to her time training with Jessica.

    I think her relationship with the other Hawkeye/Clint Barton/Hawk-guy was sweet, but I also have no idea how that happened. She refers to her time spent with him every once in a while, but I would have loved for more story there, too.

    I think needing more of everything was my biggest issue, but I loved the light and fun that it provided.

    (The ending was... worth reading.) ;)

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so confused by all the superhero comics. All the different ones and the remakes and the crossovers and the same hero but multiple people and idk. So I'm kind of curious why there is a second Hawkeye too lol. But this sounds fun and chill! Bummer about the art though. It's frustrating when you like a story but the art just doesn't quite work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, cool! I was wondering what this was about -- I like the fact that Jessica Jones shows up. I wonder if she'll -- both of them really -- will ever be in the movies? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't read many graphic novels/comics, but this does sound fun

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you enjoyed it. This makes me excited for the Infinity War movie coming out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need more graphic based books in my life. Thanks for the heads up about this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good review! I'll have to try this one myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's too bad that the interior visuals disappointed, Greg, though it does sound like my kind of graphic novel (Heroine+Private Investigation=Key to My Bookish Delights). Great review!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard of Kate Bishop before and from the small snippets I've seen of her Tumblr I definitely think she's a character I'd like. Glad to see you enjoyed it even if you didn't know everything which was happening before you started.

    ReplyDelete