Thursday, November 23, 2017

Top Ten

Top Ten

Top Ten is the first book I've read by Katie Catugno and I thought it was a lot of fun. Gabby and Ryan are total opposites who are thrown together by circumstance and the friendship that results is surprising to them both. Ryan is the super outgoing hockey player guy who all the girls want, while Gabby is quieter, has anxiety issues and doesn't like to do anything Ryan does, at least when it comes to parties and all that. But... somehow their friendship works. And is it more than friendship? They both wonder that at various times, and in spite of some near misses, their friendship stays mostly intact. But if friendship becomes love, what then?

I really liked this look at a high school friendship/ romance. We all know what high school is like, and I thought Catugno did a great job capturing the hits and misses, the angst and terrors of first love, as well as the minefields that come with high school as a whole. Gabby's family was a hoot too, they're very stable and play Monopoly every Friday night- a family event that Ryan gets invited to (or invites himself) and loves to be a part of, even though he could care less about Monopoly. And the problem for Ryan is his home life is not very good.

So Ryan, in spite of being party boy, loves spending time with Gabby and considers her his best friend. She feels the same, even though they're so different. Both initially are interested in more, but then reconcile themselves to being friends only. Ryan is one of a few people who doesn't just expect Gabby to "get over" her anxiety, and while she occasionally worries about being seen as his sidekick, he makes it abundantly clear he doesn't see it that way.

I thought the portrayal of anxiety was done well, and the story is divided into ten chapters, each one showcasing an event in their high school years or just after, and I thought that worked well. The ending is iffy, some may love it and some may hate it- I was kind of hoping for a slightly different result- but I think it does work. I really enjoyed this book and will most likely read more of Cotugno's work. If you want a fun, breezy contemporary this is a good choice. 

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read!

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, overall, adored this book. I have so many feelings and when I think about this book, I can't help but get a little misty. I was NOT thrilled with the ending, but the rest of the book was so good, I forgave Cotugno for doing that. I would have loved a jump ahead for the ending. Who knows, maybe in a few years, she will revisit Ryan and Gabby. We are getting a sequel to 99 Days (which has me happy dancing, because that story was NOT over).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good book. And frankly I agree about the end- I would have liked a little more, although on th one hand I did like how it signaled Gabby's freedom, in a sense, given everything she's been through. Almost like a moment of triumph, like "I've got this." But you're right I would LOVE to see these two again, maybe in a year or two and see where their relationship is then.

      I would definitely read more of her work!

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one. I really liked it and how it was set up and the look at friendship (and more). Great review and Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good read. I'd definitely like to check this book out. And I think that's an awesome cover!
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds so relevant. I know teens these days suffer from anxiety and I am glad that there are books for them to read about it. Thanks for the review! (Adds book to teetering TBR pile of books)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the library might have one of hers..hmm, she does sound familiar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a cute book. I’m not sure about that cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read one of her other books and liked it, glad this was a hit as well, it looks fun! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving (if you celebrate!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you thought the anxiety was portrayed well! Thanks for sharing - I've heard mixed things about this one, though mostly good!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you completely! I really liked this one (except I wanted the ending to be a bit different too hah) and think that the anxiety part was handled really well. I also liked how realistic it seemed, and how differently they experienced the same high school. I liked the way the chapters were done too, it felt different, but worked for the story. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review, Greg! I really enjoyed this one. I loved how realistic their friendship felt and how Cotugno showed the ins and outs over the years. My heart hurt for Ryan when it came to his interactions with his horrible father. And while I wished for a little more from the ending, overall I was satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like it is worth picking up. I like how you say that each of the 10 chapters are focused on a different event. High school can be such a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any of Katie's novels. However, because of the eye-catching covers, I have always been interested in them! Perhaps at some point I will give them a try - and maybe her newest one is an excellent place to start. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's surprising sometimes the people who click as friends, people who seem completely different. And this sounds like a sweet, fun book! It's nice when books can portray high school experience well, and it sounds like the anxiety was handled well too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cotugno's books are hit and miss. They never quite hit the mark for me and too often it's because the characters are making far too many bad decisions for me. This does sound like a sweet book and one of her books which might actually work for me. I have given her books two chances, if this one doesn't click Cotugno will have to be one of those authors who just doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete