Sunday, November 12, 2017

Favorite Book Titles I

A Map for Wrecked Girls

This was inspired by a post over at Metaphors and Moonlight a while ago. Talking about book titles and consistency got me thinking about a somewhat different topic- the book titles themselves. I like book titles that convey a sense of wonder or mystery, or just have a good ring to them. So I thought I would showcase some favorites.    

TIDES

This one, combined with the cover, just gets me every time. It just has a sense of freedom to it.

Tides

DRAGONFLY IN AMBER

How mysterious is that?   

Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)

DRUMS OF AUTUMN

This puts me in mind of fall and changing leaves and perhaps tribal drumming or something similar. 

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)

CITY OF THE LOST

This was my first Kelley Armstrong, but more importantly that cover and the title grabbed me. I love the remoteness of the setting, and the idea of a haven for those on the run is encapsulated perfectly by the title.

City of the Lost (Casey Duncan, #1)

THE TROPIC OF SERPENTS

If you love dragons this is probably an irresistible one! I mean the title brings to mind a tropical area teeming with life- including draconic life.

The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #2)

THE HITCHHIKER"S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

I feel like we need more humor in SF and this is the gold standard, of course. One of the better titles ever?

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)

SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH 

I like this one even more.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide, #4)

THE NAME OF THE WIND

I had trouble getting into this one but I love the title. It makes me think of controlling a thunderstorm, or perhaps just a little zephyr, with but a word...

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)

DAYBREAK 2250 AD

Okay forget the hokey cover, I LOVE this title. Why?  This title makes me think of sunrise sometime more than two hundred years from now, when the world is destroyed and only ruins remain, but perhaps people yet live, to forge an existence from the chaos. And the cover's not THAT bad, I like the drowned city (and the cat's telepathic too- BONUS).

Daybreak 2250 A.D.

PLANET OF EXILE

This title just has a finality to it, as in a colony on a faraway planet that cannot get home. Combine that with seasons that last a generation and a tangible sense of loneliness, and this title absolutely fits.

Planet of Exile

27 comments:

  1. Yay I inspired you! :-P I still haven't read Tides even though seeing it all the time on your blog has got me wanting to lol. Ooh yes, Drums of Autumn def made me think of tribal drums too, like some special seasonal ritual or something. The Serpent one does sound lkike what you described, and Thanks for All the Fish sounds so random lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had this post in drafts forever and finally decided to get it out. I actually have a couple lined up cause you know, titles like cover art, are the gift that keep giving. :)

      Drums of Autumn definitely gives me that primal, tribal feeling, like a harvest celebration or something. And Thanks for All The Fish- I just love that one!

      Delete
  2. Daybreak 2250 AD is an awesome title but you can't go wrong with Douglas Adams - my favourite books as well as titles.
    I like Dragonfly in Amber too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on Tides and City of the Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's important to have a good title and a cover that both entice the reader...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own City of the Lost but haven't started that series yet. I just finished up the last Cainsville book by her and am still saddened because it's done. I love the title but honestly, every time I see it, I can't help but think of Land of the Lost - the cheesy series, as opposed to the cheesy movie! Titles and covers can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha that's funny. I hadn't thought of that, but I do vaguely remember that show. I think as a kid I really likd it. :)

      Delete
  6. These are good ones!! I like City of the Lost the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post! I really do love a good, unique book title. They can definitely make me stop and pay attention.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I didn't like the updated Outlander series covers, but they have grown on me. I do love City of the Lost cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should go back and see what the old covers were like, maybe I'd like those more?

      Delete
  9. I always love seeing the Tropic of Serpents series titles/covers. It's just the coolest thing ever.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband did not want to pick up The Name of the Wind because of the name at first as well, among other thing, but he ran out of things to read and started reading it and now he is hooked
    XD

    Great selection

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Map for Wrecked Girls is such a great title. Have you read the Marie Brennan dragon books? There are illustrations in all the books in the series by the same artist and it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Titles are so fun! Sometimes I do the bad thing and judge books by them, and think they're about something totally different, oops? I like a lot of these, though! So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is my favorite because how can it not be? I love your take on Daybreak 2250 though! Tropic of Serpents and Drums of Autumn are great too. Tropic of Serpents actually sounds like it should be a band name, someone needs to lock that down!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Certain books do have a way of making you think, gee, this is so not my genre, but the title is so damn cool that I can't help but want to take a look! A Map for Wrecked Girls is definitely one of those. Love that title!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  14. A map for wrecked girls has to be the best title I have ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love The Name of the Wind and City of the Lost. The titles definitely attract me. I love all of Douglas Adams' titles . His quirkiness is very clear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish is the ultimate book title!

    ReplyDelete
  17. DRAGONFLY IN AMBER is just perfect title :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are some great titles. i also like the title of CITY OF THE LOST as well as the book. And DRUMS OF AUTUMN has quite the vivid image indeed of drums and autumn. And the title SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH definitely made me smile, that sounds so random and makes me wonder what the title has to do with the story.

    ReplyDelete