Thursday, November 2, 2017

Everything But The Truth

Everything But The Truth

Everything but the Truth is my latest psychological suspense read and a well written debut by Gillian McAllister. The premise here is something that could happen- Rachel is almost asleep one night when her boyfriend's phone lights up. She looks at it and sees an email that gets her thinking- how well does she know this guy? They've been together a while, less than a year, and she's pregnant. She loves him, but she can't get the email out of her head. Does Jack have a secret? And if so, what is it? 

I was actually hoping for a little more suspense out of this one, I guess it's a thriller but it's more of a character study almost- a slow burn examination of their relationship and whether it will survive. It's probably no spoiler to say Jack does have a secret- but Rachel has one too. She left medicine for reasons unknown at the outset, so even as she digs deeper into Jack's past, she realizes on some level she's not being honest either. It's an interesting conundrum. Most of the psychological thrillers I've been reading lately have involved deadly secrets or murders, you know stuff like that, where the protagonist is in dire peril. I never really felt like Rachel was in peril here. And to be fair I'm not sure that's what I was supposed to think- it's not a failure of the author, it's just a different book than I was looking for. 

I also thought it was kind of slow going. I mean two hundred pages in and Rachel is still struggling with guilt over not trusting Jack, and she carries guilt also over her own secret. Jack comes clean a bit but then Rachel discovers there may be more. But not much happened. And not a lot of suspense, to be honest. But the book does take a look at just how private our online lives are (hint: not much) as Rachel digs into his social media past and even dabbles with the dark web a bit. 

Rachel was okay, I could sympathize with her- I mean if you're going to marry someone and have kids you want to really know them, right? And Jack seemed like a nice guy, even if he was a little dodgy on his past. The thing that got me though was if Rachel expected the full truth from Jack, why was she holding back her own secret? She clearly planned to tell him- at some point- but I would have liked to see a little more on when exactly she was going to do that. 

The supporting cast was good- her sister, her best friend and their respective husbands. No unrealistic drama there. There were times when I thought Rachel went a little overboard. In fact this would be a good discussion book- how much is too much? What lines can you cross when researching someone? There's even a discussion guide/ reading questions section, which was a nice touch. And the ending was good- it redeemed the slow pace a bit. I didn't dislike the book per se- it just was slower than I was hoping for, and not very suspenseful. But if you like the idea of peeling back the layers of secrecy in a relationship, this may work for you.

15 comments:

  1. This sounds like it would be way too slow for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have been disappointed if I went into this thinking it was a thriller. You're right, it sounds more like a character study. Although, I could probably relate a little to Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like this might be more interesting if you know what it's *not* before going in. Seems there's a lot to discuss but not much in the way of thrills.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny when the main character doesn't make as big an impression as the supporting cast. Happens frequently and now I have a rather extensive list of secondary characters I love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one just sounds weird. Most people that get married don’t know a lot of things about their future spouse. It makes me wonder if the secrets are disturbing enough to make this one interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rather rip off the layers. LOL Just kidding. Sounds like it would be a good movie though. I'd watch it. Great cover art too.
    Welcome back. I hope you are recovering okay:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title of this book reminds me of a friend. (lol)I enjoy a good psychological thriller, but it's super hard to finish when it's so slow moving like this one sounds. Two hundred pages in is a lot! (lol) Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer more suspens than psychology as well so I understand. Too bad it was a bit slow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the cover makes it look like the story should be more sinister than it sounds. Does not sound like one I would have enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds a little slow to me but I've been finding thrillers hit or miss lately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cover makes it seem like dude is going to try to off this girl. On a boat presumably. So yeah, I feel like it isn't a stretch for you to have thought it would be more thriller-y? I would have assumed the same, no question. And if she isn't in any danger, then the stakes don't really seem all that high, either. I do like that it poses some thought provoking questions but... I don't know if that is enough to make it worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think whenever you read a thriller you're kind of expecting mortal peril. And the tagline 'we're all hiding something' does add to that sinister sounding thing of murder and intrigue. I don't blame you for expecting something different to what you got. I don't think I'd have made it through the book to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah bummer... I'm a bit burnt out on slow-burns. Thanks for the heads up with this one. Wonderful review, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I get annoyed when one character gets all mad that the other is keeping a secret but they're keeping a secret too! I'm not sure about this one. I do like the how much is too much but there seems like a lot of handwringing and worrying.

    ReplyDelete