You can see my non spoilery review but as this series is so twisty and fun, I wanted to post some additional thoughts and get your opinions as well. Have you read this series? If not, what are you waiting for? It's bonkers! But beware- this discussion will have spoilers for the entire series at this point.
I'm just going to do this in a stream of consciousness way, as things occur to me. As always, feel free to chime in- what do you think?
- I've always liked all three queens, but I think Mirabella is definitely my favorite now. Poor Katharine means well, and when she's herself I feel for her- but her Undead state is pretty wicked. And I guess Pietyr's toast?
- Mathilde the oracle says that Jules was once a queen and may be again. What does that mean? Are we going to find that Jules has some connection to Illiann or Daphne?
- I did not see the plot twist coming with Daphne having ruled in Illiann's stead. Wow- they were sisters, too. But it's not spelled out that Daphne killed her, or did I read it wrong? Although it certainly appears that Daphne did? Also, is Daphne really Roxane from the Prologue- the elemental queen who was supposedly killed?
- I loved the ambiguity of the mist- no one knowing what exactly it was about.
- Emilia pushes Jules pretty hard- and it's hinted she has feelings for her. What do you think of Emilia?
- I enjoyed seeing Arsinoe and Jules retain their close friendship when they were reunited- with the whole rebellion thing I was afraid Blake would have them be at odds, and so far she didn't go that way.
- Nice to see Bree struggle a bit with her loyalty to the crown, given that she was so close to Mira
- Did anyone else roll their eyes when Arsinoe didn't tell Mira what Daphne told her- about Mira needing to die?
- Mira loved Joseph! At least as much as she could, considering how little time they had together. I know Mirabella/ Joseph is a sore topic for some, but I'm glad she addressed that.
- Katharine killed the Lermont oracle- is she redeemable?
- The shopkeeper who tells Arsinoe it's nice to see a good poisoner- I liked that angle. I guess a poisoner could just as well be a healer, right? Have the Arrons kind of corrupted what poisoners could be, hence the hatred towards them?
- Mirabella tells Emilia they can't put Jules on the throne (at least not in her current state)- is that enough to sway her to Katharine?
Who is your favorite character- and do you have any predictions?