Thursday, November 8, 2018

Scooby Apocalypse

Image result for scooby apocalypse

Scooby Apocalypse was a lot of fun! I tried this on a lark after seeing some of the cool cover art, and I was not disappointed. If anything it was a little better than I expected. This is a reboot of sorts, with the characters looking and sounding similar to their TV show counterparts, but they've been updated with new origin stories and the premise is apocalyptic, obviously. This first volume collects the first six issues of the series, and gets things off to a fast start. Velma is a scientist working for the Elysium Project, a top- secret endeavour to make the world a better place, but in reality the project has been disastrous, as a nanite plague has been spread worldwide and Elysium is the source.

Velma was having second thoughts about her place in the organization and had contacted Daphne, who is a journalist, to spread the word. Daphne and her cameraman/ best friend Fred arrive at the remote facility in the Nevada desert, but before Velma can get her warning out disaster strikes. The alarms go off and the facility goes into lockdown, and it soon becomes clear the nanites- or something- have changed people, and not for the better. The complex is overrun by monsters and they have to find a way to escape- but even if they do, if the nanite plague is worldwide, is anywhere safe?

This was a lof of fun, like I said. The dialogue is witty and I liked all the humorous asides- I also enjoyed the ongoing nature of it, the authors kind of seamlessly keep the story flowing through the issues collected here. This has the feel of a storyline that could be around for a while- they don't seem to be rushing it- and I think the interactions mostly work. It definitely had me laughing at times. The other thing is, even though the name of the cartoon is Scooby Doo, I was never that enamored of the title character or his buddy Fred much. However, here Scooby is reimagined as a prototype Smart Dog, with a rudimentary ability to communicate and a bond with Fred. As for Fred, he's described as a hipster doofus at one point, which seems apt, but he's not the stoner hippie he was in the original cartoon.

Another interesting touch is the relationship between Fred and Daphne. Daph is in the lead role here, while Fred is rather more hapless. He's got a thing for Daph, and a history of proposing to her, but she brushes it off, saying they're just friends. I don't believe that for a second, but it's a nice twist. And Velma plays a pivotal role here as well. Another thing I like is how the authors address the moral quandary of killing people that are not really people anymore. Some of the people they have to shoot were colleagues of Velma as well, and Daphne, being the only one skilled with firearms, still has a hard time with blowing the monsters away. They all struggle with it and I liked how that was handled.

The art is okay- I like the covers for this series, they're vibrant and they pop, but the interior art is a little less impressive. Still, it's not bad, and the scenery of the Nevada setting, and the interior of the Elysium base, are particularly well rendered. The colors in particular are there. It feels like a substantial comic too- the dialogue is extensive and funny, it's not one of those where you can read it in three minutes because there's hardly a story there. All in all, this is surprisingly deep and highly effective at telling a tense, apocalyptic story featuring characters that have been rebooted just enough to make them relevant.  

28 comments:

  1. I love the artwork, but I usually hate reboots. How far are they from the characters personality wise? 😯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they're pretty close in essence- I mean Fred is still the goofball and so forth, Daphne I guess I remember the least in terms of personality, but here she's more assertive, more of alpha female? Which I like. They're like the same characters just totally updated for the times?

      Delete
  2. Haaa Greg you just reminded me of my youths and countless hours in front of the TV screen! ;-) Sophie @bewareofthereader

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a Scooby Doo fan, but this sounds hella fun. I love Hipster Fred on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Scooby doo as a kid, and this cover is pretty amazing! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fun! I loved (and still love when it comes to it!) Scooby Doo and would love to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks fun, sad a little that the artwork on the inside could use some work. Different concept on Scooby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art on the inside was not quite as amazing as the cover art but it still has its moments. Some parts are better than others...

      Delete
  7. I want to be upset about how they different they look but they look so bad ass and I want to check it out.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I could get into this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun- I can't wait to read on!

      Delete
  9. Lots of fun and a super cool cover. Sounds great.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This doesn't quite look like the Scooby from my childhood :) Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea. I'm not really happy about Fred being reduced in this comic in favor of the girl. Why can't they both be strong? It's unfortunate the interior design isn't as well done, but it is still something I would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That really is a reset. I will grab it up out of curiosity, but I loved the classic so it might be a gamble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been so curious about this! Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I grew up watching Scooby Doo. My friends and I would pretend to be them and go around the neighborhood solving mysteries. They always made me be Thelma cause I wore glasses! I wanted to be Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a bummer that the interior art isn't as good as the cover because the cover is amazing. I'm glad to hear it's still a fun read though. Scooby and the gang have always been favorites of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'm going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds awesome! I had no idea this existed!

    ReplyDelete