Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Stargates

The Complete Morgaine (Morgaine Saga #1-4)

Have you ever thought about going through a gate to another time or place? The idea has been around fantasy and SF for years and I've always thought it fascinating. Whether people fleeing through a gate to another world to avoid a catastrophe or being able to pass through time itself, there is so much potential with this kind of story. And I just love the imagery of a stone arch or construct of strange metal, with swirling energies or perhaps another landscape on the other side. To step through and enter another world...

The idea of stargates too- a free standing construct in space that ships can pass through to come out somewhere else. Or even somewhen?

Here are some of the books I've read or come across that involve Gates.

Gate of Ivrel (Morgaine & Vanye, #1)Well of Shiuan (Morgaine & Vanye, #2)Fires of Azeroth (Morgaine & Vanye, #3)Exile's Gate (Morgaine Saga #4)Star Gate

I'm sure there are many more, but my favorite is probably Morgaine by C.J. Cherryh. The gist is that Morgaine has been sent as part of a group to close the space/ time gates that are spread throughout the universe- and after many years she's the only one left. Every gate must be closed because they are affecting the fabric of space/ time- so she goes through each gate, destroying it behind her. The problem is some cultures have adapted - for example when a world that is being flooded wants to use a gate as an escape valve, can Morgaine consign a world to death? These are the kind of moral dilemmas she has to face.

So they're a mash up of fantasy and SF and a good read. If you're interested they've been released recently in a omnibus edition- there are four books total.

To close out here are some images I've found - they certainly inspire the imagination.  


ArtStation - The Portal Picture Collection, Espen Olsen Sætervik:



Gate by LeonovichDmitriy on DeviantArt:

25 comments:

  1. Interesting to see so many story lines with a similar premise. And those Pinterest images are awesome. Strangely, the book covers don't seem to utilize the epicness of the imagery that is available. I'd definitely pick up a book with a cover such as the Pinterest artwork but the actual book covers don't appeal to me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those images something? I agree- the images are superior to the covers! Although those are older books- I've actually read some newer books with the concept but didn't think of them when I did the post!

      Delete
  2. You're looking at a huge fan of Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis here! I loved the concept of whole other world through something so innocent looking! I would love this kind of travel experience instead of airport nightmares...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of those shows but have never seen them. Can you believe that? Although I liked the Stargate movi. And I agree- a gate over an airport for me !

      Delete
  3. I like time travel so the thought of going through a gate into another world really appeals to me. As a matter of fact, on some days, I wish I could go through a gate for a few hours! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does me too. To explore another world- just as long as I could get back!

      Delete
  4. Oh gateways! I always love how different gateways are imagined. I think we need one now... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. they do appear in those forms in a lot of fantasy and sci fi don't they? two genres that are both different and alike at the same time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup very similar roles in both genres, which is interesting. I'd like to find more tales with them!

      Delete
  6. I always love all the pictures you find! They're so perfect for a lot of the stories. And just neat to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually I don't think I have really thought about that, but it is a cool concept. Well, wait, that's not entirely true. One of the books I'm planning involves a portal, though there's no fancy gate, just kind of an opening. The whole aesthetic of an actual gate would add a lot to the experience though! And that sounds like an interesting premise with those Morgaine books, what with the moral dilemmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool that you're planning a book with a portal! I like the idea- being able to go somewhere else. Do you know where yours going to?

      The Morgaine books, while older, have a certain writing style and I love that premise. :)

      Delete
  8. I used to think that stepping through a gate or portal into another world would be amazing, but then I read The Thinking Woman's Guide to Practical Magic. In that book, a grad student (like me) gets sucked into a Medieval fantasy world and her life is soooo horrible. It's a shit world for women and she doesn't have any real skills, and has to pretend that she's just odd and not from another realm. Good book, but it definitely changed my perspective on portal fantasies!

    Side note: can you believe I've never read a single book by C.J. Cherryh??? I really need to correct that, since I've heard nothing but good things about her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing that book. And good point- an actual medieval world would probably suck! I think if I were to go through it would have to be like a Narnia- type world or something where you have the fantasy elements but it's not all shitty, like you said! And I need a little luxury anyway, like electricity. lol

      I haven't read any other Cherryh either, she's one of those older SF writers that you hear about but I never read any of her stuff until Morgaine.

      Delete
  9. oh yeah! I LOVE GATES!!! I've seen many :) I'm old enough that I watched Stargate back in 1994. One of my favorite EVER! There was Timecop too. And now I'll stop giving away my age like this LOL! There are indeed stories with lots of potential. Love the images. Especially the last one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Stargate, I saw it at some point. And thanks- they are fun!

      Delete
  10. I am a HUGE fan of Stargate-SG1 and think the Stargate system in that show is the bomb. Step from planet to planet as long as you have the correct 7 symbol address - Fun!

    I like when these show up in books to though I can't think of a ton of examples that I've read. Definitely want to check out this series by Cherryh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- I LOVE that concept. I want to go to other worlds. What better way right??

      Morgaine is good- older but decent.

      Delete
  11. At first I thought this post was about the series stargate, as I am currently watching that. I personally haven't read or seen many other books that used gates, so it's interesting to hear about these. Although I do read a series where they travel to other world by a tunnel system. Oh and you found some great artwork for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those images are like fuel for the imagination, I LOVE them!! Especially the first and second images for some reason? I love portal worlds and alternate worlds/dimensions but I don't think I've read any books with stargates specifically. I've added Morgaine to my tbr shelf so I'll be checking it out sooner rather than later! Thanks for the rec my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete