Thursday, February 23, 2017

Moon Called



Moon Called was a lot of fun. I knew that Mercy was a shifter- she can become a coyote- and that there were werewolves involved, but that's about it. And this is a werewolf- heavy story, no doubt. It also has a lot of paranormal elements besides- vampires make an appearance and the fae are a part of the story. 

Mercy is a mechanic  who lives close to the local werewolf pack and being that she's a coyote shifter they pretty much leave her alone. The pack Alpha seems to have a thing for her though. Adam lives behind Mercy's trailer and Mercy gets involved with the pack when a lone werewolf stumbles into their territory, and she tries to help him out. Things escalate from there and when Adam is targeted Mercy has to get involved and call on some old friends for help. 

Mercy is a character with a lot of potential. She's independent and tough and more than a match for any of the alpha personalities she runs across- and there are plenty. Being a werewolf story there are a lot of dominance and pack hierarchy issues to sort through, and if there was anything I didn't like it was the constant pack dynamics. On the one hand they were interesting but it could also get to be too much at times. A minor complaint though- on balance I enjoyed everything about this. 

This is also a world where the fae have come out to the world at large, and the werewolves are considering doing the same. I wasn't really crazy about that idea, I like it more when the fae or paranormal elements stay hidden, but this is honestly the only real worldbuilding I didn't like. It did feel like there was a lot of set up here but the ground has been laid nicely for continuing adventures. 

I think there's a good balance as well between the action and the romance. Mercy and Adam have a cool relationship even as Mercy has a little romantic baggage from the past. 

15 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this series (although I am not caught up). I am glad you enjoyed this first book, Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in for a treat! I love Mercy Thompson, but like with most urban fantasy series, I didn't think it got really good until maybe book 2 or 3. I'm hooked now though, and I've been devouring the books ever since :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been curious about this series, and it definitely sounds like my kind of read. Glad the series got off to a good start for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should start this series :) Mercy seems like the kind of protagonist I'd love <333 Great review Greg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This series has been on my radar. Will you continue on with the next book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you knew about this book going into is also pretty much everything I know about it lol. Well, now I know a bit more, of course, thanks to your review. She does sound like a character who could be good and the series sounds like it has potential. I'm curious now how I'd feel about the pack dynamics since I tend to avoid werewolf books and have never read a book that really focuses much on a whole pack. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these books! I actually like the Pack dynamics better than than the fae and vampire elements, except the cool Stefan and his van! Having a pretty dominant werewolf who was openly gay and has issues with Pack members because of it was one of my favourite things in this book. I love Warren!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed it! This is a favorite series of mine, but I've fallen behind. The fae really grow in prominence as the series continues - and I love the fae so that's great for me. You need to start reading Alpha & Omega too. The first book in that series coincides with the first book in this one. As the series progress they start to really feed off of each other (not that you can't read them as stand alones, but it's so much better when you get both sides)... and as much as I like Mercy, I like Alpha & Omega more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay - I love the sound of this!!! It sounds like a lot of fun and I love the UF genre but for some reason haven't been able to read anything from it lately! Werewolves, Vampires, Fae - I'm in. Definitely going to read this one...... eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went in pretty much blind to this book as well and I think I preferred it that way so I didn't have too many expectations. I do have to say, if you're thinking of reading the Alpha and Omega series as well then you may not enjoy it as the MCs are werewolves and there is a lot more exploration into pack dynamics and hierarchy. It does give an interesting insight into pack, though. I have read the next book and that explores other areas of the paranormal and think it'll be the same for the third book so the Mercy Thompson series is all areas of the paranormal and Alpha and Omega is more the pack. It's interesting, anyway.

    I didn't mind the fact werewolves were getting ready for the big reveal, I haven't read too much UF so for me it was interesting to think of them being in the open. The part which bothered me was the obvious love triangle thing developing with Mercy and Adam and Sam. It felt kind of unnecessary. I don't know. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do think the key to Moon Called working is Mercy and she is appropriately Kick Ass:)! That's interesting that you are a little put off by the paranormal cultures being out in the open - I don't think I've really thought about it before but I think I agree with you. Being hidden provides a little more potential for drama and mystery. Finally, the romance. I like a little romance in...well... all the books I read, lol but I am very nervous about the obvious love triangle Briggs is setting up. I like the romance to be there but to remain secondary. I hope it doesn't take over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, man, it's been a while since I read this book! I used to be IN LOVE with this series/world, but I stopped keeping up somewhere around book 7 or 8, I think. I love that Mercy, as a main character, isn't the cliche shifter animals, like most books with shifters tend to be.

    I do hope you continue with the series! I love that Briggs ends up exploring a whole bunch of different supernatural creatures throughout her series. I've been thinking about rereading them now that I live in Washington :)

    ~ Michelle @ FaerieFits

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had this book in my TBR pile for a while now and haven't touched it. I need to change that. Thanks for the review, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. As were-anything and shifter allergic as I am, this book would be my worst nightmare. Ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This series has been on my tbr shelf for ages and I still definitely want to get into it. I'm really happy that you liked things overall, despite a few minor issues/personal preferences. I can't wait to see how the series will develop for you over time :D Great review as always my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete