Monday, August 8, 2016

Cover Characteristics Cloaked Figures



Cover Characteristics is a meme by Sugar and Snark- every week a characteristic is selected and we post 5 books with that week's theme.  

This week's pick- Cloaked Figures   


This is another rogue topic. What would fantasy be without the mysterious cloaked figure? 

The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)

Kind of an old school fantasy favorite. 



I think this is a powerful cover, in spite of its age, with the white cloaked figures moving across the sand. It just seems very mysterious. 

Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1)

Another white cloaked figure and I think it's one of the better covers for this series. 

The Rogue (Traitor Spy Trilogy, #2)

This one's not bad with the staff and the mysterious nature of it. 

First King of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #0)

Some cloaked (I think) figures on a bridge in the distance- not bad. 

The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)

This is your quintessential faceless cloaked figure being all threatening and stuff. Could be a LoTR cover with a few changes.  

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)

It's kinda hard to see but he is wearing a cloak. Oh and forget the guy on the show- this is how I picture Jon Snow. 

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)

This is of course Melisandre and Stannis before a zillion re- releases. 

Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Untitled, #1)

I love this cover with the white cloaked figures around a well or portal of some kind- almost looks like a mysterious group of priestesses. My favorite. 

16 comments:

  1. Bright Smoke, Cold Fire is my favorite as well. I like cloaked figure covers. My daughter read a series called the Ranger's Apprentice for awhile and the covers were super spooky and if I remember right featured a cloaked figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a mysterious cover! And I have seen those Ranger's Apprentice books around- they do have nice covers.

      Delete
  2. I love the mysterious atmosphere that cloaked figures bring to book covers. I know this isn't a book, but the Assassin's Creed cover with a cloaked man gave me chills. And, of course, Game of Thrones! I finished the first one recently and am really really really excited for the second! Do you like Robb Stark? I have a bit of a soft spot for him, and Daenarys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. And yes I think I've some Assassin's creed artwork, and I agree- very nice.

      Love Game of Thrones, and hope you like the second one. It's a good book. I do like Robb, he tries a lot to be like Ned and I admire that. Dany has quite the story too- books two and three are fabulous and I hope you enjoy the story!

      Delete
  3. Nice picks!! I love cloaked figures on book covers. The Falling Kingdoms and Bright Smoke Cold Fire covers are my favorites on here, but I really like most of these covers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. great picks! I like the Morgan Rhodes and the Rosamund Hodge covers the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright Smoke Cold Fire is definitely my favorite. I saw that one on Edelweiss and was so tempted to request it lol, but I refrained since I'm not sure I'd actually like the story itself. I also like Falling Kingdoms and The Rogue. And you're right, that one cover really does have that quintessential faceless cloaked figure being all evil. I suppose no list of cloaked figures would be complete without one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't think Bright Smoke is my kind of book, but that cover... pretty amazing. Some books just have it. I always like The Falling Kingdoms covers too, seems like.

      Delete
  6. Oooh I like these! I agree with you about the cover for Dune- I probably would have never given it a second glance, but when I did, it IS quite compelling! And I LOVE the covers for Bright Smoke Cold Fire- though I have to say, the cover was better than the book for me, sadly. The cover for Falling Kingdoms is great too, I love the sense of action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about that Dune cover I like. And Bright Smoke, Cold fire has an amazing cover- sorry to hear it wasn't quite as good. I'm not sure I'll read it but I can look at that covr all day. lol

      Delete
  7. I like Dune -- it's obviously very retro, but that's why I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I like the retro nature of it... sometimes those covers work!

      Delete
  8. Bright Smoke, Cold Fire is probably my favorite as well. Nice choice of covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's definitely the fave of the bunch!

      Delete
  9. DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! I love the Dune books. Can you tell? XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never seen Falling Kingdoms before! Looks great!
    Thanks for joining in last week :)

    Sugar & Snark

    ReplyDelete