Monday, August 15, 2016

Cover Characteristics Mountains



Cover Characteristics is a meme by Sugar and Snark- every week a characteristic is selected and we post 5 books with that week's theme.  

This week's pick- Mountains 


This is an interesting pick and since mountains often figure prominently in fantasy books I figured this one might be fun. And it was- although it didn't go the way I thought. That's the fun thing about this meme- you never know where it will take you! A misty, snow capped peak or a range of mountains reaching toward the sky- there's so much you can do with that. Mountains can hide many secrets. The great eagles of Tolkien, a hidden refuge such as Rivendell, an underground river leading to a sunless sea- mountains can fire the imagination like few other landmarks. 

Lore of the Witch WorldKillashandra (Crystal Singer #2)



 












Lore of the Witch World

Killashandra (Crystal Singer #2)

So this turned into a Lord of the Rings post until the very end. I didn't really intend it that way, it just sorta happened as I was perusing covers. So there you go- my picks. Which is your favorite? 

22 comments:

  1. Such a lot of mountains on Tolkien's covers! I chose The Hobbit too but didn't get the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went a little crazy with the Tolkien covers- there are so many good ones. :)

      Delete
  2. Love the covers! This looks like a fun meme. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord of the Rings covers are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous! I think the Fellowship of the Ring cover is my favorite. I love that stream running through the center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tolkien's books have some of the best covers! I have an almost complete set of the books in the style of the second Fellowship cover, I just need Return of the King and all of the extra Tales novels. They are some of my favorite landscape paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There are so many different art styles, and they all bring something. I have the old covers that I read as a teen, and I love Nasmith's rendition of Tolkien (his cover for the Silmarillion is a favorite).

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, Tolkien and his mountain covers. I think my favorites are the covers for The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those too. I'm not sure why there are so many mountains on the LotR covers, I mean I know there are mountains in the story, but I was surprised to see just how many covers had them.

      Delete
  7. I didnt' know Tolkein's cover had so many mountains. I haven't seen those covers before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either! It was kind of a surprise.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Heidi @ Rainy Day Ramblings. I didn't realize that Tolkein's covers had a mountain theme! Very cool :) I like the first Fellowship of the Ring cover that you posted the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I kept finding more and more of them! And I like that one too- it might be one of my faves.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, so much Tolkien! Lol. I'm not sure which is my favorite. I like the stylized, artsy version of the first two, but I like the beauty of the second two, and I like the kind of combo and adventure-y look of the third two. And the last two are nice since they've got some fierce women and nice artwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I went a little crazy with this one. I kept finding more and more and just adding them- then at the end I was like, I need something different. lol I tend to like the landscape-y versions, depending on the artist, and those last two I like a lot!

      Delete
  10. It is a fun meme. You should do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the Tolkien ones are so beautiful Greg. I also love your first paragraph, very well written. I've actually done Cover Characteristics again this week! Please have a look. http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/cover-characteristics-mountains.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent selection this week. I never once thought of Lord of the Rings...I even have these book on my shelves behind me >_<

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of this cover art. I must love mountains. XD

    ReplyDelete