Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Sky So Heavy

The Sky So Heavy

The Sky So Heavy is a post apocalyptic story set in New South Wales in Australia. This is the first post apoc I've read set Down Under and it was a nice change of pace, to see what a disaster of nuclear proportions might look like from the Aussie perspective. Fin is a teenager who is forced to survive the onset of nuclear winter when an unnamed country launches a missile strike and everything changes. 

I really enjoyed this book. Fin is likable- to a point- and he has an impossible task trying to take care of his younger brother Max when his father leaves and doesn't come back. Fin's parents are split up- his mother works for the government and is apparently in Sydney when the disaster strikes, and his father follows his girlfriend Kara when she leaves abruptly. Presumably he planned on returning, but he never does. As the nuclear winter descends Fin and Max are on their own in a world changed beyond recognition. 

Fin eventually finds Lucy, the girl he has fallen for, and together with another school mate they set out to find Fin's mother. Society has begun to break down, of course, with people resorting to more and more desperate measures to find food and stay alive. Lucy and Fin provide the one bit of hope in the story, as they continue to get to know each other amidst the chaos. Lucy has to make a tough decision- does she stay with her family or go with Fin, to try their luck in the city, and I felt for her as she made this wrenching decision. 

This story in the end was a bit depressing, if I'm being honest, but at the same time there were moments that were strangely uplifting and empowering. You know the odds are stacked against Fin and Lucy from the outset but you desperately want them to succeed, and to be honest my favorite moments were probably the quiet moments, when the two of them were just together and hoping for the future. This is the kind of book that also makes you think- what would you do to survive? Would you steal from someone- or worse- if that was the only way for you to eat, or protect your loved ones? Thought provoking stuff. 

No electricity, very little food, a government that realizes there aren't enough resources so they transition from serving the people to harshly deciding who lives and who doesn't- pretty heady stuff. And there are some surprises along the way that make you wonder- even if and when you reach your goal, or find your missing people- what happens next? And how does surviving the end of the world change you? 

Lucy was a great character- easily a favorite- and there was an underlying sense of tension throughout. It's also a quick read, with short chapters that handle the passing of time well. I thought it was realistic the way life changed with no power, and with neighbors turning on each other, in some cases- not everyone does- and there was also a nice examination of faith and how it holds up or is challenged when the world is literally disintegrating around you. Faith can sustain hope but not everyone has, or wants, faith and I thought the subject was handled very well. 

All in all this was a solid read. Thought provoking, a little chilling, it had me on the edge of my seat hoping that Fin and Lucy were going to make it. And I loved how it ended. A solid read.   

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book, too. And you're right, every time I read one of these end-of-the-world scenarios, I always end up asking myself: what would I do? Could I survive? I think that's why they're so fun. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lark! That's one of my favorite parts of these- the what if factor! :)

      Delete
  2. Got to add this to my list, Greg. It sound perfect for me. Can't remember the name of it, but I did see an apocalyptic movie set in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES I agree about Lucy, I feel like she had to make some awful decisions. That moment killed me when she had to leave her family. I did think it was kind of realistic in a terrible way, because you see how at first people are still kind of civil, and then it's just the worst of humanity. As it definitely would be. I agree about the quiet moments too, because it's like, at the end of the world there WOULD be a lot of downtime, right? TOO much downtime, too much time to ponder and ruminate, really. I am so glad you liked this too! Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I might be the one I will would really liked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun to find apocalypse books set in countries outide the US. I'm working on new features for horror, apocalypse and thrillers recommendations done by country. I'll remember to feature this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds pretty good. I always try to put myself into these kinds of stories and wonder If I could rise to the occasion and survive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like stories like this, especially when the event is something that could actually happen. Often times the characters are way more resourceful than I could ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow. I want to read this bc this is where I live, and at the same time, I'm slightly thinking: do I want to read about a apocalyptic future where I live? LOL It does sound like a powerful read though. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo A post-apocalyptic set in Australia this does sound good and like a bit of a journey to see how they would do post-apocalyptic. I will have to add this one to my TBR.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be a tough book to read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 📚

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recognise the author Claire Zorn but the life of me I don't know why. Like the sound of a post apocalytpic read set down under though. I can respect it being a little depressing too. It must be good to have you on the edge of your seat, that's what you want, to see how folks survive and to what lengths they'll go to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Immediately adding this to my list!!

    ReplyDelete