Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Best Music Art #2


I'm a big fan of cover art, as many of my readers know, but something I talk about less is good music art. Actually I don't think I've ever talked about it. Whether it's vinyl album art or a CD case, or just promo art to go with streaming or Internet radio, concept art can be a powerful tool for conveying an artists' ideas or mood. I find that ambient music and so-called New Age music is especially rich in awesome cover art, but progressive rock and other forms of music also have great examples. 

So I thought I'd share some of my favorites. Let me know in the comments which are your favorites, or share your own.  

 

Heaven & Earth 

The Studio Albums 1969-1987 (12CD)  

Image result for song of the irish whistle

XXX

So there are two versions of this one. Censored and uncensored. 

Related image

  

This one I like for the cats jumping over floating rocks. 

Topographic Drama - Live Across America (2CD)  

Asia "Alpha" Geffen Records GEF 22508 12" LP Vinyl Record, UK Pressing (1983) Album Cover Art & Design by Roger Dean

Resonance [2 CD/1 DVD Combo] 


Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image 




Image result for wish you were here 

18 comments:

  1. Really, record cover art is a special art form in its own right, and you have chosen some beautiful pieces there! I have found myself tempted often to buy a CD based on its art till I looked at the song titles and knew in my heart that it wasn’t really my kind of music! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I do like good CD or album art and sometimes, just like a book cover, I almost buy it for the art!

      Delete
  2. I love a well designed cover for a book but I never put much thought into the image for an album. I guess because everything is online and I don't blog abut music so I don't really focus on the cover art. I never thought about the intent behind it and what insight it could give for the songs featured in that album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's easy to overlook? And I may spend way too much time exploring album as well as book cover art? :)

      Delete
  3. some of these are really cool and colorful. I like the Heaven & Earth one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great. Some of those I've seen but most I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I found a few new ones while researching this post!

      Delete
  5. The Great White uncensored cover is painful to look at! I thought she was just sitting on the hook, but it's clearly going through her leg! Why?!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it? I looked again and you might be right! Now I'm trying to find a close up version (which sounds bad, cause, you know...) lol. But yeah that seems a bit excesive?

      Delete
  6. I have that Great White album. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These covers are awesome. I love the Missing Persons one.

    Ash @ JennRenee Read

    ReplyDelete
  8. There were so, SO many drugs involved in the making of these. All the drugs. Still, they're quite creative. Idk what this says about me, but despite agreeing with Lindsi's assessment of the Great White one, I still like the uncensored version FAR more, so. I also like the one with the dragon and the creepy eyes, but also The Cranberries because that is just clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes had some fabulous album art, thats for sure. Funny enough, I ran across an old Yes t-shirt of mine when I was culling old clothes last week. I kept it, but I might sell it to the vintage clothes boutique we have downtown. Ha ha. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Duran Duran, and Great White awesome. Some of my favorites growing up.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete