Thursday, October 25, 2018

Echoes

Echoes

Echoes is a book I approached with some trepidation, having heard mixed things about the ending and the rationale behind the story. I needn't have worried. This story totally worked for me, although throughout my reading of it I kept thinking that this had better make sense by the end! Well, it did- mostly. It's kind of a gutsy way to write a book- I mean this won't work for everyone, but if you just go with it and enjoy the ride, I think it's definitely worth taking. 

The other thing about this is- it's definitely a romance. Fiona and Miles wake up after a plane crash on a remote island, the only survivors, but they soon find that there's more to the island than they initially realize. At the same time they are also in Berlin, on a completely different story track, and the story thus shifts from chapter to chapter, from the island to Germany. What's the deal? Did the stuff in Germany happen before the island? Well, you gotta wait to find out! But as tense and fast moving as the narrative is, a lot of time is spent on the relationship between Fiona and Miles. 

Fiona is a kickboxer and comes from a family of modest means, whereas Miles is super rich. He's a bit of an arrogant jerk too, or so we're told- in actuality he's not bad in the story, as he and Fiona begin to reassess their relationship in light of the fact that they're stranded on an island/ on the run in Berlin. Are these alternate realities, or just time displaced events? That's part of the fun too- seeing how their relationship develops in two separate storylines. I thought that the relationship worked, and in spite of the fact that they talk a lot about their relationship, and the author spends a lot of time developing it, the action still keeps the plot moving. 

It's a neat balancing act and frankly I loved how realistic it felt. The story is told from Fiona's viewpoint and she has to struggle with how much she can trust him at first- after all, she's told early on she can trust no one, and yet Miles seems to come through. I kept wondering if there would be an ultimate betrayal and I loved the uncertainty. And speaking of the ending- wow. Now that's an ending. I had heard the ending was ambiguous or unsatisfying, and while I can sorta see that, I thought it worked. In fact it makes me want a sequel like right now. And again, it's kind of a gutsy way to end a book? 

So yeah I had fun with it. It's kind of crazy how you don't know what's going on most of the time- I mean I had a zillion theories- and it still managed to surprise me at the end. I love stories where people are not always what they seem, and there are surprising developments, and this one totally delivered. I can say with confidence I will be looking at anything else Alice Reeds writes. 

29 comments:

  1. This is kind of weird, not knowing what's going on with the two timelines/situations as you read, but at the same time the balancing act you mentioned and the author doing it well makes me very curious about it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I really enjoyed the question mark of not knowing, even though I kept telling myself this has BETTER make sense by the end lol.

      Delete
  2. I love that you challenge yourself with unique books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not sure what to make of this. If the romance takes centre stage, I better avoid it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romance might be a smidgen more involved than you care for, but it wasn't TOO bad?

      Delete
  4. This sounds really good, although that cover doesn't scream "romance" to me! Thanks for the review, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah nothing about the cover screams romance! And it wasn't overdone, it was just there.

      Delete
  5. I'm sensing a lack of cohesiveness between two timelines. But hey, the romance is a huge seller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha it actually wasn't bad, it just took a leap of faith that everything was going to resolve?

      Delete
  6. I've been curious and still may get to it eventually but I'm not in much of a mood for romance right now - that's isn't at least Christmas related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a read if you get to it down the road!

      Delete
  7. I like when a book keeps me guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep you guessing books are the best! I’ll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a read, and it definitely kept me guessing!

      Delete
  9. Now I want to read this one even more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a fan of being thrown into a story and being left to the authors whims. Though I will admit that I love it when an author makes me come up with conspiracy level rationale's only to pull the rug out from under me in a good way in the end. I'm glad you didn't let those negative reviews keep you from enjoying this novel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was curious about this one but it turned out great- and I'm with you, I don't always like books like that- I'm glad the author was able to pull this out!

      Delete
  11. What an interesting story-telling technique! Now I want to know if it's like an alternate universe situation, or just a different time in their lives, and what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need this book. I am really kicking myself for not requesting it for review when I had the chance. Because now I have to buy it but that's okay because the cover is very pretty. And now I am super excited to read it, so yay! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hell, I'm totally curious now. I like books that always have you questioning what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A zillion theories? Now I need to know what was up with that island

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm totally intrigued by this one. I love it when an author can keep me guessing and completely shock me in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh! I'll have to add this one to my TBR! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have me intrigued! Now I want to know what happens, how it happens, and if it works for me. I am glad you ended up liking it, Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one sounds really interesting I don't know how I'd feel about the switching from the island to Germany but the fact that you don't know and have to wait to find out but the ending is leaving me wary. I want to read and see how it goes because you've got me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete