Wednesday, July 5, 2017

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries #1)

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)

Okay this was awesome. I tried this on a lark, having read Martha Wells before, and this was a pleasant surprise. Murderbot (yes that's its name) is a security cyborg, part machine and part organic- but the thing that sets it apart is it's free. It hacked its own behavior chip and now, unbeknownst to all, its free to do as it pleases, including disobey orders. Security units are typically lent out to survey teams and planetary expeditions, and that's what Murderbot has done- accompanied a planetary survey team down to a harmless planet. Except it's not so harmless.

It turns out there are two survey teams on the planet, but when things start going wrong and the other team goes dark, Murderbot and its clients realize something is very wrong.The other thing going on is that Murderbot really doesn't care. Since hacking its chip and essentially freeing itself from control, it mostly does the minimum necessary (slackerbot?) and prefers to spend its time watching downloaded entertainment. Think Netflix dialed up to eleven? However when disaster strikes Murderbot realizes maybe it does care- just a bit- and it's a good thing too, or the survey team would be wasted.

Murderbot was awesome and hilarious. This is a novella so it's fairly short and I read it in one setting- I literally felt like I had to finish it. It's that good. And it's surprisingly compelling- I cared a lot for Murderbot and the survey team. The team itself is not super developed but I thought they were developed enough for me to care about them- and Murderbot takes a lot of punishment too trying to protect them! Good thing it can regrow or repair parts or it'd be in serious trouble! And there's a  good amount of tension as the team tries to figure out what's going on. A survey team, stranded on an uncharted planet with a self- aware murderbot (their only chance of survival), and some unknown group trying to waste them- it's as fun as it sounds.

I loved the planet and the general worldbuilding too. The planet is only partially mapped and it has a few secrets, as well as a cool ring (you can see on the cover). The details of the corporate setting- the area of space this takes place in seems to be run by corporate interests and some independent systems- felt real and futuristic but at the same time familiar (corporations are about one thing- money) and even the space station they find themselves on at one point felt like a place I'd like to explore. This is the first science fiction book since The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet where I thought to myself can I live there?

If you like science fiction and space opera I'd say this is a must- read. It's entertaining, funny and well thought out, and will definitely be on my favorites list for this year. I bought this as an e-book but immediately ordered a print copy after reading- this is one I'd like for my shelf and will probably re- read down the road. And the great news is there's going to be more. I can't wait. 

46 comments:

  1. A space opera, that is something different. I also like that this has humor. I will have to consider this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously you had me at murderbot. LOL! You sealed it with humor. This one sounds like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robots are scary! Srsly they will take over the world

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fun! Might give it a go. I love the name Murderbot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very fun! And I got a kick out of that name too. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds amazing. I love sci fi, especially if there's humor involved as well, so I'm definitely going to keep this book in mind. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it! The humor's great and it was so good.

      Delete
  6. I love Wells' Raksura books, and I'm really excited to try this one because it sounds so different from her fantasy!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read those although I've read a couple of her other books. Thought this one was fabulous tho.

      Delete
  7. I love that a story about a murderbot has so much humor in it, LOL. I don't read a whole lot of sci-fi, but I'm totally intrigued by this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh this sounds really good! I am definitely a fan of humor in sci-fi books, makes them feel more realistic, more human, I guess. Murderbot is such a funny name, too. (Oh, and Goodreads says there will be 4 of them, so that's exciting!) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I'd love for you to read it and see what you thought.

      Delete
  9. Not sure this is for me, but I can think of someone who is hard to pick books for who would love this!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I hope it turns out to be a good gift idea if you go that route!

      Delete
  10. I don't read much science fiction which is weird because I love it in movies and TV. When I do read it I end up enjoying it. This sounds fun, Greg! I'm off to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it if you get a chance to check it out. The humor made it a winner for me.

      Delete
  11. Neat how it took you by surprise in a good way and you had to keep reading.

    Love cyborg sci-fi so I'll have to add it to my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it. If you like stories like that it might be a winner for you. It was definitely a pleasant surprise!

      Delete
  12. I love sci-fi AND space operas so i will have to read this.. I LOLed at the name Murderbot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not really a big fan of this genre but maybe as it's a short story I could try to see how I feel about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it if you get a chance. :)

      Delete
  14. Most sci-fi I have to watch in a movie or on television. For some reason it's hard to translate in book form for me, but glad you enjoyed it! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've been introducing me to some good sci-fi. I don't read it often, but when I do, I want it to be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I don't read a ton of it even though it used to be my go-to? And I'm glad if you found something you like here. :)

      Delete
  16. haha I think you had me at "Okay this was awesome" lol I always wonder if I like space opera. It seems like a hit or miss for me. I do love Sci-fi and you make it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha you should read this and let me know what you think. :)

      Delete
  17. Yikes, I don't think I'd want something named Murderbot having free will! But if just turned into Slackerbot instead or was helpful, then I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Kind of makes you wonder what robots would actually do if they've got free will. Maybe instead of trying to kill us all and take over the world, they'd just want to have fun LOL. Glad you loved this one so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome. And poor Murderbot just wanted to watch some shows, but they kept BUGGING him. lol

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the heads up on this one, its sounds great and I am glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh a novella! I think I'm going to give it a try. I was sold at *Murderbot* lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your enthusiasm for this book! I never read a space opera this one sounds great! Love the name Murderbot! Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Slackerbot. Ha! That's too funny. Sounds like a good time. Been WAY too long since I read a space opera. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, I'm always on the lookout for a good novella! It sounds entertaining. So happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really need to get my hands on this one. I love novellas, and this one obviously sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hiya!

    Sounds like a lot of fun. The cover's brilliant! I'm here as I also joined the Monday linky!

    Luv
    Sassy
    Alternative-Read.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well this sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'm going to add this one to my Goodreads TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I don't know how I could pass up a character called Murderbot. Classic! Glad you loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You had me at "Murderbot" - that's pretty awesome:). Space Opera with a sense of humor really appeals to me and this sounds like t has a really great premise!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This does sound original, although for some reason it just strikes me as weird to read about a character named murderbot. I had to smile about your slackerbot comment. And that sounds fun it was a funny read, that's hard to find. Glad to hear it has good world building,t hat's always a good thing in my opinion :). Great review!

    ReplyDelete