Thursday, April 27, 2017

Dead Girls Society

Dead Girls Society

Dead Girls Society is the fourth book I've read with a premise centering around a dangerous game. I read Panic by Lauren Oliver a few years back, and Need and Nerve more recently. You'd think maybe I would be tired of this premise by now, but I guess not- when I read the synopsis I knew I wanted to read this. And it was pretty good. This one had the added benefit of having a disabled protagonist- Hope has cystic fibrosis and that plays a large role in the story, as you would imagine. I liked the way the author wove it into the story- and not just the disease itself, but the way Hope deals not only with her illness, but also with the knowledge that she is dying. 

Hope's life pretty much revolves around being sick and receiving treatments. She doesn't even attend school regularly, and her mother works a low paying job with flexible hours so she can take care of her. Her mother is totally devoted to her, but Hope wants more. She wants to go to school, she wants to live a normal life- and she wants Ethan, her best friend who she's in love with. I liked Hope and admired the way she challenged her limitations and refused to let her CF run her life. Her life takes a dramatic turn, however, when she receives a mysterious invitation to play a game of dares. 

The invitation leads her into a dangerous invitation with four other girls, and they find themselves working together even as the ultimate goal of the game is to be the last one standing. All the girls come from different backgrounds and they make a pretty unlikely group- but oddly enough the shared dangers forge a bond between them, and they become close. Or if not close, then at least they share a purpose. The game is different enough from previous versions of this idea that I felt like I was reading something new- this didn't feel like a rewarmed version of Need or Panic. Yes there are similarities, but mainly the premise. 

There are the expected twists and surprises, and the biggest thing for me with these is- when the reveal comes, is it plausible? I can suspend belief enough to go along with this idea, but it needs to be at least somewhat plausible. And it mostly worked here. If anything this reminded me of Pretty Little Liars, with the gradual revealing of secrets, and even reminded me a bit of Gretchen McNeil's Get Even from a few years back. And like other books of this sort, the Society behind the game have their tentacles so far into everyone's lives that you wonder just who could actually pull it off. 

I did not guess the eventual perpetrators, although I wasn't trying that hard. I was content to just go along for the ride, and I'm glad I did. This was a fast read, and very much a YA read- you have the girl who loves her best friend but a hot popular guy makes a move, she's not popular and the usual other stuff- but nevertheless this was a good read. The disability was a nice touch, and the reveals included some things dealing with stalking and unforeseen consequences and how class differences can complicate life in high school. A solid read. 

16 comments:

  1. I've heard a few things about this book and I've had it on my TBR for a while but you've officially re-peaked my interest for it. It sounds really interesting and like something I'd enjoy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I have had this one on my TBR for a while, and I am glad you liked it. I have read Panic and really liked it. Now you have me thinking about how many books I read like this.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this around but had no idea the premise. I like the dangerous game idea - and liked it in Panic too. I will have to add this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your review makes me want to read this even though YA has become so stale for me as of late. I do like the sound of the MC with cystic Fibrosis, that is different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love the sound of this! Having a main character with cystic fibrosis is such a unique and welcome change. I enjoy a fast read with twists and surprises, and everything you say has me adding this to my TBR! Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds good! I've only read Pretty Little Liars in your comparisons and I liked it but this one sounds even better. I like the sound of Hope as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this on my TBR for quite a while and totally forgot about it! After reading your review I'm really interested now...Also yay for disabled MC! you don't see that everyday! Great review Greg :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't read a ton of books like this (though I have read Panic) but I am definitely intrigued! Glad it was a read for you! Great review, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this one and I need to try those books you mentioned as I have heard of them but not read them. :) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had my eye on this one for a while, mainly because I love any sort of "secret
    teen society" storyline, but hearing that the protagonist has CF has me even more interested! And apparently it's also set in New Orleans? My favourite city I've ever visited! I don't mind a bit of implausibility so long as the story's fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, I totally fall for those storylines! And the CF was a nice touch. And yes NOLO played a pretty big part in the story... :)

      Delete
  11. Great to see disability being rep'd! I've read one book about a character with CF. It sounds like it was handled realistically here, so that's good. And I like the premise of the girls from different background all working together even though they're supposed to be the last one left. Not quite my kinda book, but I'm glad it was good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, I don't know a lot about CF but I thought they did a good job here. And I liked how the girls came together rather than just cutthroating it out. Frankly the MC couldn't have made it without the other girls becuase of her CF.

      Delete
  12. The cover had this on my radar a while back, but then I forgot about it. I didn't know about the CF factor. Thanks for sharing your review and reminding me about it.:)

    ReplyDelete