Sunday, November 27, 2016

Cover Characteristics Underwater


Cover Characteristics is a meme by Sugar and Snark- every week a characteristic is selected and we post 5 books with that week's theme.   

This week's pick- Underwater  

The rogue topics continue as Cover Characteristics is officially on hiatus. This week I want to look at covers with bitchin underwater scenes. Have you read any good books set under the waves, or dealing with merfolk? If so let me know! Here are my picks. 

World of Water (Dev Harmer Mission, #2)Attack from Atlantis20,000 Leagues Under the SeaFear the Drowning DeepThe Girl from the SeaTidesImage result for underwater book coverImage result for underwater book coverUnderwater 

 World of Water (Dev Harmer Mission, #2)

This one might be my favorite. I like the sense of looking up and the seabase is kinda cool. Plus you also have a view of the planet rather cleverly integrated into the art. 

Attack from Atlantis

This is probably my favorite from an old school point of view. I love domed underwater cities and that makes this a keeper.  

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

A classic obviously and I like the SF/ eeriness angle of this one.   


Oh no- she's stuck. Where are her clothes?  


Fear the Drowning Deep

This was a very atmospheric book and I think the cover reflects that.  

The Girl from the Sea

A recent cover and a good one. Might be my favorite or very close.  

Tides

Selkies. What's not to like?  

Image result for underwater book cover

This one is different- and I like the tagline. 

Image result for underwater book cover

I like how the water is vertical here? 

Underwater

A different cover for Underwater but I like this one more? 

BONUS

I wanted to share some alternate covers for 20,000 Leagues. 

Image result for 20 000 leagues under the seaImage result for 20 000 leagues under the sea book coverImage result for 20 000 leagues under the sea book coverImage result for 20 000 leagues under the sea book coverImage result for 20 000 leagues under the sea book cover

23 comments:

  1. I'm partial to the Jules Verne 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea covers. Especially the one closest to the top of your post. It's one I'd never seen before but I love the eerieness of it. I really should read this one, as I love Jules Verne but I seem to be saving it because every time I go to read it something is stopping me. Maybe it's one I need to read in it's own time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that 20,000 Leagues cover! There's something about it- the underwater angle. I read the book and to be honest I wsn't that impressed- too many descriptions- but I still love the idea of it, and of course the Nautilus.

      Delete
  2. GAH underwater covers are some of my absolute favorites!! I love this choice! The Girl From the Sea is one of my favorites too- probably tied with Fear the Drowning Deep, I think. I like the second Underwater cover better too- I can't help thinking how soggy the couch on the first one has to be hah. I also LOVE the first of your bonus covers for 20,000 Leagues. LOOOVE. These are all such great choices, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE underwater cover. The Girl From The sea might be my fave, I keep changing my mind, but I like the pose. And the second Underwater cover- yeah that's good too. Both of those I really like. And there are so many 20,000 Leagues covers!!

      Delete
  3. Great topic! Underwater covers are often so pretty and atmospheric and sometimes surreal. But seriously, who. scuba dives. naked. ??? Lol. And it looks like HE has clothes on (I think that red spot in his shorts?), so why doesn't SHE? But anyway, Tides is my favorite, though some of those 20,000 Leagues ones are pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the underwater covers- I found so many but tried to focus on the atmospheric ones, or at least the ones that struck me that way. And I know? What is she doing down there w/ no clothes?? All tangled in seaweed??? Yes he is obviously clothed. Something's not right... :)

      I love Tides.

      Delete
  4. LMAO, oh man, you are right -- where are her clothes! This is such an atmospheric collection of covers! I don't know how you do these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know? What is she doing down there in the seaweed lol?? But yeah I like this one- these were fun to put together.

      Delete
  5. I love underwater covers so much!! I love all the ones with the women and their dresses kind of floating. I agree with you and like the other cover for Underwater. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love underwater covers- some of my favorites. And most of these were prety awesome I thought. Underwater is one of my favorites (that second one).

      Delete
  6. I picked up a few Jules Verne books free this weekend. I know I read them when I was at school but don't remember if I liked them so I'll try them again. When I think of underwater covers things like Jaws and jurassic monster type things come to mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I read 20,000 at one point and wasn't super impressed, but I love the idea of the book and the Nautilus and all that. And I never thought of Jaws- that one would have been awesome!!

      Delete
  7. I love the covers for Tides and Imaginary Girls. They both are awesome and that little seal pulls at my heart (I've always loved water mammals). Nice feature this week Greg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! Tides is an amazing cover, I've seen it in the bookstore and it really stands out. I'm glad I have a physical copy. Imaginary Girls is nice also.

      Delete
  8. I love ALL of these covers! These are some really good ones and I just love underwater covers. I haven't read 20,000 leagues under the sea yet, but WOW I had no idea there are so many great covers for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, are they the bomb or what? I can take underwater covers all day long. 20,000 was boring frankly if you ask me, but it was written in the 1900's so... yeah. A lot of descriptions of plants and stuff. But I'm glad I read it, and I like the covers!

      Delete
  9. I really like underwater covers. I think my favorite of the ones you posted are Fear the Drowning Deep. Underwater is pretty cool and different too. I like the tagline too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Tides cover. Gorgeous! And you are right, what's not to love about selkies? Pretty cool to see one in their seal form on a cover :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Tides cover, with the selkie transforming in mid dive. It's an awesome cover in person too, looks great on the shelf. :)

      Delete
  11. I like how the dress is all floaty in Fear the Drowning Deep and Imaginary Girls.

    I also like Of Poseidon:

    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12425532-of-poseidon?ac=1&from_search=true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also Madly:

      https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11849067-madly?ac=1&from_search=true

      Delete
  12. I also love the Tides cover most. In fact, I'd never heard of that book until today. (*adds it to her wishlist on Goodreads*) Imaginary Girls caught my eye, too.

    I'm actually hoping to read some fantasy stories with mermaid characters next year. Consider it part of a "market research project," since I'd like to write my own mermaid story in the future. So this post was helpful in giving me ideas of more books to check out. Thanks, Greg!

    ReplyDelete