Wednesday, April 12, 2023

The Scourge Between Stars

 
The Scourge Between Stars was a good debut. A little shaky at first and I thought it took a little while to get going but by the end I was completely invested. It's short too, a novella... although a book this length wouldn't have been a novella years ago, lots of vintage science fiction came in under 200 pages. At any rate, this was a good book. 

Jacklyn is first mate on a ship traveling back towards Earth after a failed colony effort. Unfortunately they are having problems with shortages of essential supplies, as well as frequent incidents where they are buffeted by strange forces. Some cosmic threat they can't perceive? It's not very clear. It soon becomes clear that that is the least of their problems though, when strange creatures are discovered aboard. And why is the captain missing? 

This has a definite terror vibe and I liked the tension as things got worse. I really liked how the author made me care about some of the officers and crew even though we hardly knew them.  

Another thing I liked was the setting- this is a generation ship with a truly massive setting. Literally miles of passageways, some of them not well lit, some thirty thousand plus crew... I love generation ship books and this one hit all the right elements. 

18 comments:

  1. Yeah, a novella is under 90pages in my opinion. Anything over 100 is just a novel :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check this out. I love generation ship stories. I don't think I've read one about a ship quite this big! 😯

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy space stories, so thanks for putting this on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A generation ship does make for a cool setting. And I like that mix of science fiction and suspense. This sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great setting. Sounds like a page turner near the end. I am sure the possibilities are endless with this ship. Thanks so much for the delightful review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias por la reseña Tomó nota. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A huge ship with miles of passageways definitely gives me terror vibes lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. sound interesting science fiction after reading your review....
    I'll try to check it out.... thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something about a space setting makes the tension amp up. Maybe because there's no escape. Glad you enjoyed it, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not my favorite literary genre, but I'm not saying no.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "a book this length wouldn't have been a novella years ago, lots of vintage science fiction came in under 200 pages"
    Interesting observation! I'm not familiar with vintage science fiction, so i didn't know.

    A book that makes you care for its character in so short a page count is a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope to read this soon. I am loving the sound of the horror and tension!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked this but yeah it needed to be longer. And you make a good point about the page length- it was kind of... too long for a novella, too short for a novel? A novelette perhaps? OR even better, the author could have added another 100 pages, given us all the answers, AND we'd know for sure it was a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was good. I enjoyed it but it felt like a debut to me. But I'd love to try her next book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed this one. I hope we get to see more from the author soon though. :)

    ReplyDelete