Friday, April 21, 2023

Sunday Post #501

 

 
Good news- my Movies That Suck posts return next week. And do I have a treat. 

In other news I am including chapter two of Camping, my latest story I didn't get to posting this past week.  


Here is this week's lyric. 

Lord, oh yeah  
When you need a friend  
 

Here is the lyric f/ last week and the answer      

And the sun comes like a god    
Into our room      


   Song of the week


PULP COVER OF THE WEEK: 


CAMPING

The alarms got louder as Joon and the others came out into the hall. Soldiers ran by, trying to avoid the newcomers, and the lights had dimmed to red. Stella led the way briskly back oto the operations center, her heels clicking on the floor. There was screaming somewhere. 

As they entered the op center everything was in chaos. The first thing they noticed was the Gate- it was humming and giving off strange flashing lights. Joon saw Maia start towards him, but then she hesitated when she saw who he was with. He made a hopefully surreptitious gesture for her to hang back... no sense giving anything away. The bigwigs were otherwise occupied, thankfully.    

"What's happening?" Stella demanded of a very shocked looking tech as she approached the Gate.

"There was an Incursion... ma'am," he stuttered. Joon noticed absently he had blood all over him. And what was that smell?

"The Gate started humming, and the alarms went off," the tech continued. Garza, according to his nametag. He looked like he was going to fall over. 

"Then the Gate went crazy and the... the tentacles came out. Started thrashing all over. Howe got grabbed..." Another tech came by to comfort Garza, and med staff were arriving. Soldiers were ushering people around and setting up a perimeter around the Gate area. Joon could see what was left of Howe, he was in two pieces. And there was a huge piece of tentacle not far away, still thrashing about even though it had been separated from wherever the rest of it was. 

"Guns don't work," the tech continued as he was led away. "The energy weapons, though..."

Mallory turned away in disgust. There was blood all over the floor. Stella was barking orders and the lights started coming back on. Joon had an uneasy feeling though. There were always risks, and unexplained occurrences, but if the Gate was just randomly going live now...

He turned to Stella. 

"Maybe we should shut it down."

"Are you serious?" she rounded on him. "That's not our decision to make."

"You could, for security purposes," he continued. "This research is important, but it'll benefit nobody if we get wiped out." 

 "Let me get this under control," she brushed an errant lock back from her forehead. "We'll talk about this later."

Joon nodded and went over to Maia. He wanted to embrace her- she had been in the room when it happened- but eagle eyed Mallory would no doubt notice and tongues would wag. He casually stopped as if checking on a co-worker. 

"It was a nightmare," she whispered. "One minute everything was fine, and the next... apeshit. Poor Howe got grabbed, and it... ripped him apart."

"They need to shut that down," Joon said angrily. "We are just losing too many people lately."

She nodded. 

"Are you going to be alright?" he asked her. 

"I will," she replied. He wasn't as sure. She was trying to be strong, he could see, but she had seen it close up.

"What was it?" he asked. 

"It was humongous. Some... thing... there was a green sky and all this heat. The tentacles came through and were thrashing everywhere. The guards opened fire and their bullets didn't do anything. Then a couple of the guys with the energy weapons... those pulse rifle things... cut loose and it retreated. Somehow they got the Gate closed, but this was... the worst yet."

"The whole place shook," Joon observed. 

"Yeah. It was chaos. The Incursions we've had previously never shook the whole place." 

Joon noticed Stella gesturing to him as her command group were heading for the exit. 

"I have to go. Talk soon... and be careful," he whispered to Maia. 

"I will... you too."

As he returned to the command group a soldier came up

"Ma'am"

"Now what?" she snapped. 

"the guards outside, ma'am. They're not responding."

46 comments:

  1. They need McGyver..or somebody. This looks like MAY DAY. Hope you find the solution. Love the suspense!

    Thanks for the tunes and of course another good one from INXS..a band that helped me through someone's deployment. I made a mega INXS mix for him and when he finally got it I was informed..he didn't like that group. I was crushed, but it wasn't enough to tear us apart (✿◡‿◡).

    Oh, its gonna be a cold weekend. I don't think we will got to our usual Earth Day celebration. It was a cold one just getting some last minute things at the grocery store. I guess another pajama day. Which is OK with me.


    Caitlin&Megan
    Ivy&Ellie
    Carefully Listening
    Ellie
    The Book Group
    Holly&Stevie
    Cherry Blossoms
    Better Left Unsaid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be stumped with these new lyrics. I am thinking of a couple..just not sure. Can't wait to find out who it is this time!

      Delete
    2. Oh your question from ELLIE - Makes me think of Changes by Bowie...actually Black Sabbath's song.

      AND MAYDAY..I didn't know Juliet was in that? Actually, I thought of the band..but anyway, I was thinking of the "May Day/Dooms day" predictument your story is in. I know you'll write us out of it..some way.

      Delete
  2. The book cover is so retro looking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh...giant tentacles! And now the guards outside aren't responding? Loving the suspense in your camping story! And I'm looking forward to your next Movies that Suck post. Have a great weekend, Greg! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uy lo dejaste interesante. Genial fragmento. Lindos videos. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You stumped me with this week's song (and the film). I cannot place that film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAAAAAAY for movies that suck! Your choice this week looks...interesting, lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to your no good movies next week. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That movie looks absolutely awful. I'm looking forward to your post! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for suffering through that movie. Sometimes, I find those negative reviews can be the most fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have INXS stuck in my head now. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the story. (I assume the oto in the second sentence is a typo).
    Charlotte Burt's Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. giant rats look scary....
    the review of Camping make me curious...
    Thank you for sharing videos.... interesting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh your short story is so suspenseful and awesome.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been wanting to watch Food for the Gods, giant rats! Love old horror movies! :)

    Have a great week and happy reading!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love INXS and nice pulp cover this week. Your story is suspenseful, I can imagine the creature with the tentacles. Happy reading and writing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. INXS is pure nostalgia for me.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the story and those poor guards outside... *sigh* Let's take a moment for all the hapless guards in allll stories who end up getting squished, splatted and generally disrespected in lethal ways! And thank you for yet another exciting sci fi pulp fiction cover, Greg:)).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see that you have your blogging mojo back Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like you Movies That Suck series!!! And now I have INXS in my head because I played that twice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. They should definitely shut down that gate, but is it too late????Thanks for sharing your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never heard of The Food of the Gods before reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow that movie clip. Sometimes I wonder how some movies get made. Like no one at any point said "Um, guys..."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Movies that suck is fun. Also I always enjoy the pulp covers.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy your segments - especially the movies that suck and the pulp covers! Have a great week Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooh! Cool! It's been awhile since we've seen the Movies that Suck posts! Hope you have a great week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    Please join the Book Photo Sundays and Cover Spotlight

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooh, Camping was fun! Like the monster (octupus?) out of control and the hint of romance. Looking forward to your Movies That Suck. I hope you get some consistently warmer weather in your neck of the woods, Greg! Have a lovely week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the pulp cover! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay, now I'm really curious about which movie you watched. I'll have to keep an eye out for that post. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looking forward to seeing which movie that sucks you'll be returning with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Woo-hoo! You better have an ending for this story and not leave us hanging LOL 😉.
    I love that you use words like "surreptitious" and "humongous" 👍.

    "And there was a huge piece of tentacle not far away, still thrashing about even though it had been separated from wherever the rest of it was."
    😱

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the INXS song... but this week's lyric has me totally stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm looking forward to hearing about Movies that Suck. lol

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooh, Movies That Suck sounds like a fun feature! I enjoyed your song of the week ... and the chapter you included! Good luck with your writing and enjoy your reading this week -

    Sue
    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, no! Poor Howe and the guards! I have to go back and read Chapter One, as I didn't do much blog visiting last week.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Food of the Gods...never heard of it but after seeing that vid I have no words, lol. Is that a hint for the upcoming Movies That Suck article? :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I wish I could still get two novels for $.35! Hope you're having a good week.

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete