Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Hike


 
The Hike was a great read. I feel like Lucy Clarke has been on a roll lately.- I loved her recent One of the Girls. This one might actually surpass it. Although the formula is similar- four women on a vacation or spending time together, and bad things happen. In this case it's a trip to Norway for some serious camping. Rough hiking, and not everyone's on board. The women take turns planning the trips, and this time Liz- who is burned out and going through a trial separation- wants something that is a little more galvanizing than a beach outing. 

Everyone is in a different life place as this one starts, but they're a tight knit group. I liked all the characters, and the Norwegian setting is gorgeous. The imagery of the landscape comes through. And there are some hints that all may not be as serene as it appears. The women soon set out on their hike, little realizing that their lives will change. 

I don't want to say too much because spoiling some of the early parts could ruin surprises, but this is a perfect book for a cool fall evening. I settled in with this on a cold rainy night and it was perfect. There are themes of motherhood, changes in life, musings on marriages- this made me ponder things, which honestly was as compelling as danger on the trail. There's some misdirection too. Very short chapters. I didn't want to rush through but the short POV chapters really make the pages turn. 

 Lucy Clarke is an auto buy author for me now. I loved her The Blue and of course her previous book was a fave. Each of these characters has moments, and a few game altering things- like when a certain POV ignores warnings that you know are going to be prophetic- and you're like nooooo.

15 comments:

  1. Ooh a review!!! lol I'm glad you found a reliably good author and enjoyed this one. I'm not a thriller/mystery fan but I think the shorter chapters would work for me.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my list. I do like her and her thrillers. I was hoping you had read it. A long list on HOLDS for this one at our library. Thanks so much for the review! Thanks for your comment too! Oh, it's almost the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The undesirable twists are what your kinks are

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias por la reseña. Tomó nota. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to catch up on her books! I love how this is a thriller but explores other topics that are very relatable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the whole hiking aspect of this one that really makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read something by her since you reviews The Blue. I love the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Echoing Karen...oooh, a review! 😂 😉

    "There are themes of motherhood, changes in life, musings on marriages- this made me ponder things, which honestly was as compelling as danger on the trail."
    This is the greatest compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read Lucy Clarke yet but you've convinced me I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't a huge fan of One of Us Girls, but I still want to try another one from this author and this looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great when a writer can really convey the beauty of a setting. Glad this was so good and compelling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet I would like this one! I haven't tried anything by Lucy Clarke yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this author yet but this sounds really intriguing and I love the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not read anything by this author. 📗

    ReplyDelete