Thursday, December 21, 2017

Eight Hundred Grapes

Eight Hundred Grapes

Eight Hundred grapes is a story about the choices we make in life. Georgia Ford is an attorney who is about to get married- but when she learns her fiance has a secret she heads home to Sonoma County and her parents' house. Her dad is a winemaker with a small vineyard, and she has come home to get her thoughts together. But she soon finds that not everything is rosy at home, and that some of her family have secrets of their own.

I liked this book a lot. Georgia and her brothers, Finn and Bobby, grew up around the vineyard- their dad practices biodynamic winemaking. Sonoma County and the nearby Napa Valley are presented in a convincing way- the vineyards, with early morning fog and then the sun burning it off, the wine culture of the area- are a highlight of the book. Finn and Bobby have their own issues, and the reader- and Georgia- soon learn everyone is a mess! Georgia has to decide if she wants to go ahead with her wedding, and their subsequent planned move to London. As she learns more about her fiance Ben, and the secrets he's been keeping, she realizes that there may be no right or wrong choices- there are just different paths, and of course it's not always clear which one is best.

The family dynamics are fun, and I can see this as a fun movie (and it has been optioned, so maybe we'll get a chance to see it). Georgia has a hard time deciding what she wants, but when she finds her father's way of life threatened  that adds another complication to her thoughts. And of course Ben shows up, making things even more fun. The story plays out over a few days at the family home, and I really enjoyed getting to know the family members and their spouses. Choices are made and there are laughs along with the tears- and I did enjoy the humor, as well as a few twists that happened that kept the pace flowing. This was a good story about second chances, choices and the consequences of decisions- and about family too. Oh, and wine! A great go along with a fire and a glass of wine, if you're so inclined.

26 comments:

  1. It looks good and I'm curious to discover Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, and Georgia's a lot of fun. :)

      Delete
  2. I have this on my ever growing reading wishlist, but have read mixed reviews online from other bloggers regarding this novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you? I liked it but I can see where some might not...

      Delete
  3. I love the setting on this one - who doesn't like wine? I like stories about secrets, but they can be frustrating - you're about to marry someone, yet you're hiding all this stuff from them? Although, it makes me want to know what Georgia's fiancé is hiding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's an interesting secret, but I feel the same way. How could you NOT tell someone??

      Delete
  4. I’ve seen other people talking about this one. I think I’m going to need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really does sound like it has great movie potential.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is new to me! I really like the cover. I also really like wine, lol. I'll add it to my list and hopefully get to it before it's made into a movie. ;)

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound kind of fun to read about all the secrets, but I can't imagine it's all that great for Georgia to be living among them? I think she should ditch the lying fiance and maybe give her family a little space, too. These people sound a mess hhah. SUPER curious to know what the secret is though, hmm. Okay I looked up spoilers, because I had to and yeah, no, that is a HUGE thing to keep from someone! I mean- how does that not come up!? This guy sounds awesome (insert eye roll). The setting does sound quite lovely though! I love when an author can make even a contemporary setting feel special! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia has a complicated relationship w/ her family, we'll say. :) But they're a FUN mess ha ha. And yes can you believe that? Kinda beggars the imagination that someone would keep THAT a secret, but there it is.

      Delete
  8. I've never read anything about winemaking or vineyards, so that sounds like it'd be cool! And the family stuff does sound fun. Glad this was such an enjoyable and fun book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun book, and I really liked the atmosphere and how it captured the Napa valley feel.

      Delete
  9. books that I can picture as movies are always among my favorites! and well ANYTHING that has to do with wine too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds great! I love secrets and complicated family dynamics. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dynamics w/ the family were one of the best things about this one.

      Delete
  11. Oh this sounds fun! I'll have to add it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, this sounded great b/c of the setting but then I got REALLY curious and looked up the spoilers.... errrrggghhh... don't know if I could put up with that stuff. Man, you've got some major patience!! Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. From your review I can totally see this as a film and it would be a film I would watch but I'm not totally certain it would be a book I would read. It does sound interesting, I'm interested to see how the family dynamic plays out as the MC discovers the secrets of fiance. I am intrigued and I want to know what happens. I'll add this one to the library list I think.

    ReplyDelete