Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thursday Quotable #1

quotation-marks4  

Thursday Quotables is a meme hosted by Lisa at Bookshelf Fantasies. This weekly feature is the place to highlight a great quote, line, or passage discovered during your reading each week. Whether it's something funny, startling, gut-wrenching, or just really beautifully written, Thursday Quotables is where my favorite lines of the week will be, and you're invited to join in.

The Vanishing Thief (Victorian Bookshop Mystery, #1)

"Ser Broderick's note says we need to turn you into a society miss. Not an easy task when everyone knows everyone else's family tree back five generations. I'm afraid you'll have to have a questionable pedigree. Would you prefer slightly wanton or deliciously decadent?"

Here Georgia Fenchurch, an antiquarian bookseller, is investigating an abduction of a thief and blackmailer who has been victimizing high society. There are of course multiple suspects and Georgia and her friend Emma are preparing to invade drawing rooms and society functions to learn the truth... oh, and stay alive too.

I like this book, it's a cozy I suppose that just came out and I bought it off the shelf. I liked the cover and after paging through it I thought it sounded good. I like this time period, Victorian era, and it's the first of a series. Started out a bit slow but it's rolling now and is a lot of fun.

From Goodreads:

Georgia Fenchurch appears to be an unassuming antiquarian bookseller in Victorian London, but the life she leads is as exciting as any adventure novel. For Georgia is a member of the Archivist Society, a secret association of private investigators led by the mysterious Sir Broderick. 

When a frantic woman comes to Georgia claiming that her neighbor, Nicholas Drake, has been abducted by the notorious Duke of Blackford, Georgia and the Archivist Society agree to take the case. But Drake is no innocent—he is a thief who has been blackmailing many of the leading members of London society. To find Drake and discover who is behind his abduction, Georgia and her beautiful assistant, Emma, will have to leave the cozy confines of their bookshop and infiltrate the inner circles of the upper crust—with the help of the dashing but dubious Duke of Blackford himself.

But the missing thief and his abductor are not the only ones to elude Georgia Fenchurch. When she spies the man who killed her parents years ago, she vows to bring him to justice once and for all…at any cost.

If you want to join in the fun, link up over at Bookshelf Fantasies and share your quotable. 



 

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'd like a questionable pedigree of my own, thank you! This quote is terrific -- I hope the rest of the book is as much fun! :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! It's getting good- some peril, a few zingers and a good mystery. It's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. That quotation is fantastic. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I liked it too... the book made me smile several times, there's some good lines and a little wry humor too, I really liked it!

      Delete
  3. Great quote! It makes me want to read the book. Maybe I will. Does this book have an ebook version? :)

    Here's my Thursday Quotables :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished it and liked it a lot. Yes there is an ebook version, according to Goodreads. Hope you like it if you read it. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete