Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Sands of Time Ch 27


 

"Poseidon. The third world we made contact with after mastering the Gate."

Mallory looked sideways at Stella's mention of mastering. 

"Roughly the size of Earth, mostly water, indigenous life forms- including an intelligent race- we have several locations there. You'd be going to Harmony-1, our principal location, connected via tube to Farpoint Station."

"That's the underwater base?"

"Affirmative." 

"Several?" 

"We've been there a minute."

"What's the scoop on this Valerus person?"

"He's my expert on Gate machinery. I didn't want him to go- I need him here- but he couldn't resist exploring. Mallory learned everything she knows from him."

"You aren't thinking of doing this?" Maia asked. 

"I don't know. I've never been to another planet. Not to mention we may not be around long, if we don't do something." 

"Why you?"

"Yeah," Mallory agreed. "No offense, Stella, but why do we want to send him?"

"I'm fond of Joon, too," Stella replied with a smile, "but he's also someone I can trust. There are few of those. I need someone who I'm reasonably sure can get the job done. And, frankly, I need someone who can convince Valerus I'm serious."

"Send me?" asked Mal, although it was clear she didn't actually want to. 

"I need you right here," replied Stella. 

"If he goes I do," declared Maia. 

"No."

Stella and Joon looked at each other, having both said no at the same time. 

"This is a..."Stella started. 

"I'm going to save all of us. I can't risk... started Joon. 

"Not negotiable. I already know too much, right? Who's to say she doesn't shoot me the minute you leave?"

Stella sighed. 

Mallory added "They do have a good track record."

"How long do we think we have?"

"Who knows? Probably not that long." 

"I want to talk to Hillier before we go."

"Why?"

"She may know things. I need a full briefing on them before I do though."

"Not sure we have time for this, frankly." 

"Well, you can always find someone else." 

There was an uncomfortable silence. 

"Alright. You can talk to her. Or it. Whatever it is. Quickly. Don't forget we have striker teams in the complex. Not friendlies." 

"Ma'am," a soldier cut in. "We have the... thing you were looking for." 

"Howie?" asked Maia. 

"Where?" 

"It's a distance away but is headed in this direction." 

"How is the Hub faring?" Joon asked. 

"The damage is extensive. It will take some time to repair... as long as the roving striker teams don't get there first." 

"What happems if the Gate closes by itself after they go through?" Mallory was thinking. 

"Not likely," Stella replied. 

"Probably not, but just trying to think of all outcomes." 

There was another uncomfortable silence. 

"Well, the point is to get it closed," Joon said. "So I guess that outcome would be ideal, for the greater good." 

"Are there any arguments for... leaving it, letting the Directorate sort it out?"

"They'll probably shoot us," Stella mused. 

"But... what if they're right? We have exploratory teams, even bases. Lots of personnel. Can we rightfully just abandon them and close it?" 

"That's a great question," replied Stella. "I don't know the answer."

"Maybe Valerus does," said Joon. "Look, I'm not looking forward to this. A new world, sure. But risking my life and maybe not coming back... and I don't want to risk you, either," he said, turning to Maia. 

"You did say we could run away to another world." 

Mallory turned away grinning. 

"Seriously, though," Maia said. 

Here's where you'd be going," Stella cut in. She'd been working with a technician at a nearby screen. They gathered around to get a look. 

It was beautiful. Crystal clear sky, with a hint of a ringed planet or moon in the background, and in the foreground was Harmony-1. An outpost of domes, and in the distance they could see strange floating structures as well. 

"We have... facilities like that?" Joon breathed. 

"Yes," said Stella proudly. 

"We're... colonizing the cosmos," Maia said. 

"With a little help from a Gate."  

7 comments:

  1. This is a very good story, that remember me the original film Stargate.

    And now, is ficción the exploración of space, but the advance of technology one day will do possible the physical human space exploración, like today we fly in Airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more you go on, the more I wonder why you decided to call your story "The Sands of Time"...I mean, I'm expecting them to get stranded in the Triassic now 😂.
    Yay Howie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks to be moving forward, somehow. & I'm glad Howie's back. One of my favorite C-drama Tomb of the Sea (from the Lost Tomb series) actually takes place in the sands. Looking forward to more.


    Caitlin&Megan
    Ivy&Ellie
    Carefully Listening
    Ellie
    The Book Group
    Holly&Stevie
    Cherry Blossoms
    Better Left Unsaid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you are having fun with your sci fi novel. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I would trust anything Hillier had to say but I guess it's worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't trust Stella. And I hope Joon and Maia don't get stuck on some other world. Can't wait to see what happens next. :D

    ReplyDelete