Monday, August 4, 2014

Bookstore Spotlight: Horizon Books


Horizon Books is a full service, independent bookstore in Traverse City, MI. Located on Front St. they are in a prime location right in the heart of the shopping district, next to the historic, restored State Theater and the Grand Traverse Pie Co. Horizon has a long history in the area, having been in various different locations over the years, and have long been an anchor in the vibrant downtown area. The store has a main level as well as a downstairs cafe and coffee bar and upper level for nonfiction. They also have a small coffee kiosk on the main floor. They have a nice fireplace as well, with tables to stack your books on and read. And with great hours (open until 11:00 every night), you can spend as long as you want there. They also have tables and chairs outside, and Horizon is a prime people watching location as they're right in the middle of the action on Front St.

Horizon has a regular schedule of author signings and events, and they participate in the National Writers Series which frequently brings authors to Traverse City. Horizon offers a variety of book clubs to join and a list can be found here.





Horizon is a family owned store and celebrated their 50 year anniversary a couple years ago. It's one of my favorite places in Traverse City and is just a great place to spend some time.


8 comments:

  1. I love bookstore spotlights! I have a couple I need to post that are all wrote up. There's just something so cool about seeing bookstores in other places though. I love when there's a cafe included and you can just sit and look at the books while drinking coffee and whatnot. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great bookstore! I wonder if they would let you bring in a piece of the yummy pie from GTPC and browse? Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of books with easy access to pie... this is my kind of place, lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're family owned and still in business? Congrats to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous of those chairs as I usually sprawl out on the floor. I was absolutely mortified once when another customer had to step over me - I hadn't noticed them as I was so engrossed in hunting down my next book. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Traverse City is certainly lucky to have not just one but two good bookstores. The only one in my area is Barnes & Noble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That video was so neat! And it looks like the book store is fairly busy, which is great - especially since they're family owned. Good for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Tintin ! :) I'm all for independant book stores.

    ReplyDelete