Thursday, May 4, 2017

I Found You

I Found You

 I Found You is one of the better psychological thrillers I've read lately. It's also the second book I've read by Lisa Jewell after The Girls in the Garden, so I was excited to see where she would go in this one. And I was not disappointed. This just seemed a notch above the usual psychological thrillers for me, maybe it's the writing, but this had me hooked from the get-go. And speaking of the writing, it initially set me back as it's a crisper, more staccato style- I'm not sure how else to describe it- but once I got used to it I was fine. 

The story is told from three alternating perspectives. Alice is a single mom who finds a guy sitting on the beach one morning, staring out at sea- he has no idea who he is. The second perspective is "Frank", the guy with no memory- Alice takes him in and tries to help him, against the advice of her friend and her own common sense. And the third perspective is Lily, a Ukrainian newlywed whose husband doesn't come home from work one night and is soon considered missing. These perspectives all felt different, I thought the author captured a distinct voice for each one, and that's just one of the things I really liked. 

So who is Frank? And where did Lily's husband go? Well it turns out to be intertwined with a story from thirty-some years ago, when two kids came with their family to the seaside town that Alice lives in. They were on holiday with their family, and we get flashbacks to that summer with the two kids, Gray and Kirsty. A local guy takes an interest in Kirsty and there's something about him that seems off to Gray, and as the story progresses we learn more about him and Kirsty even as in the present the clues seem to come together for Frank and Lily. 

It works very well and I was captivated by the unfolding story. I had to know more, and while sometimes I don't like flashbacks, at one point that was the most pressing story for me, and I got emotionally invested. Gray and Kirsty's story is a cautionary tale and I got very angry at something that happened- another sign that the author is doing something right! It also makes you think a bit about choices and consequences, and how a cascading series of events can change a life forever. 

So this was one of the better recent reads I've found in this genre. At this point Lisa Jewell is an author I would definitely like to read more of. If there was anything I didn't like it was the coincidence or two that seemed a bit of a stretch, and the plausibility of some events towards the end- a problem I have with a lot of these books. But I got my money's worth out of this one- characterization, tension, and a great story- and if you want to read a fabulous and atmospheric thriller this is a great one. 

27 comments:

  1. It's great to found a goos thriller like that! this one was new to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved this one, too, Greg, and yes, there were a few things that stretched the credibility of events, but then again, I like how that happens in real life sometimes, too. I am definitely a fan of this author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second rave review I read of this one. I've been seeing it all over the place. Definitely need to add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you liked this. I have an ARC and plan on reading it soon. I know what you mean about the unrealsitic stretches you find sometimes in these type of books. I hope you read I See You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so important that the different POVs have distinct voices so I'm glad you found that here. It sounds like an interesting story. I'm the same way with flashbacks, but I have found a few books that I thoroughly enjoyed the flashback sections. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure I've read something by this author but I can't remember the title! Drat.
    This sounds intriguing though. I don't read a lot of novels in this style but I like to shake it up every now and again with something different.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Lisa Jewell yet but I've been wanting too. I like the sound of all the plot lines and mysterious characters in this one. Those plausibility issues do get a bit irritating but it sounds like it really didn't effect your enjoyment too much so this is going on my must read list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of arcs by Lisa Jewell that I haven't got around to. For some reason, I just never made them a priority. After reading your review, it sounds like I am making a mistake. Time to give this one a read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a genre I should read more of, because I enjoy the tension and the search for the clues as I try to solve the mystery. This one sounds great. I have been wanting to try this author as well. Great review!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flashbacks don't always work for me, either, but this one sounds like it was well done! Amazon keeps recommending The Girls in the Garden to me, lol, so I may just have to check out one of Lisa Jewell's books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad this author is staying consistent for you. She is new to me so I need to try her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I am VERY curious! I love a flashback so I think that would be fine for me. And I LOVE that it makes you think, that is always my favorite in any book. The cover is so great too, it makes me want to read a story that takes place there, and since you said the atmosphere is well done, then I want to read it even more! Fabulous review, I will be adding this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flashbacks were pretty compelling. I was initially irritated a slight bit but after a while I was like go back to the flashback, I gotta know what's going to %^&& happen. lol it is a pretty atmospheric read, I think you'll like it!

      Delete
  13. I have read something by hers long ago, not a thriller though so this would be interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Girls in the Garden by her, and liked it.

      Delete
  14. I loved this one!! I waited to finish it today to read your review. I agree with it all. There some stretched you had to make at the end but I am ok with that. I was really captivated by the story, the characters, the setting. I couldn't stop reading!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! Ha ha that's the problem with reviews that come out right away- it's hard to read them! And yeah a little iffy at the end, but worth it. :)

      Delete
  15. Okay, I stopped reading after your first paragraph because I'm picking this up soon, but I'm so happy to hear you thought it was a notch above other psychological thrillers! Yay! I'll come back and read your review more carefully once I finish mine so I can compare thoughts, Greg! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did, I've read a ton of psych thrillers lately- and this one seemed better than most. And I'd love to hear what you think!

      Delete
  16. Delighted you loved it Greg. I love Lisa Jewel and haven't read this one yet. So I just ordered it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like something I would like! Need to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Huh, this sounds pretty interesting. I love when a thriller is smart and it sounds like it hooked you and kept you reading. I'm not a huge fan of thrillers, it's not a genre I've explored all that much but I may check this out if I have a chance. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, I am eye-ing this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had no idea this was a Psychological Thriller. Thanks for sharing your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review, Greg! I used to read everything by Lisa Jewell, hit a couple that I didn't care for much, and now I'm anxious to pick up something new from her. I'm definitely excited for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's been a while since I've read a well-written psychological thriller. So many of them seem to rely on cheap thrills and shallow emotional payoffs that I've started to grow tired of them. But from what you've said about I Found You, this is one that I need to pick up because it defies all those things! I love a good atmospheric read, too.

    ReplyDelete