Thursday, May 11, 2017

Gone Without A Trace

Gone Without a Trace

Gone Without A Trace is a psychological thriller with a unique premise- a woman comes home from work to find her boyfriend gone. Not just gone- he has literally erased all evidence of his existence, including pictures on her cellphone, all his belongings, the whole works. And Hannah has no idea why- she thought they were happy, there were no warning signs. Hannah is desperate to find him- she wants to know why- and things take off from there when she starts getting strange phone calls and even more alarming- someone is entering her home when she's gone, taking little things or leaving something. She's convinced it's her missing boyfriend since the items in question are related to him. 

I thought this was a pretty good story, a little unrealistic perhaps, but not jarringly bad, and it was fun trying to figure out Hannah and what was going on. There are little clues sprinkled throughout the story that everything is not right with Hannah's family life, and that there may have been some problems growing up, as she's not close with her parents but we don't find out why initially. And her relationship with her best friend Katie is problematic to say the least- they seem to be tight but at the same time Katie seems jealous or vindictive or something. It's a fascinating but toxic relationship. 

The POV is all from Hannah and like I said there are little clues but I felt like not a lot happened for the first two- thirds of the story. In fairness there are the phone calls where someone calls her but doesn't speak- creepy enough- but the feeling that someone has been in her home is even worse. And she gets texts with cryptic and scary messages. So the tension is slowly ratcheted up that way, but I just didn't feel like enough was happening. I also found Hannah somewhat unlikable at times, she seemed to snap at her friends and be very short, and I could kind of understand given what she's going through but at the same time it seemed a bit much. Although Katie is a toxic friend to be sure. 

I feel like some people may figure out the twist and others, like me, will have a theory and be wrong. I had some ideas where this was going but was surprised that there were several twists and that complicated things. I did feel the author sprinkled enough clues in that by the time the twist occurred I could almost see it coming- it was the twist or two after that which surprised me. So it kept me turning pages, but again this is not the fastest paced book.  It's worth sticking it out though as I thought the ending was absolutely killer. And somewhat chilling. 

So on balance I think this was a good read. It asks a lot of questions about relationships and family secrets. And it gets you thinking about how well do you really know someone? Hannah never saw it coming with her boyfriend and when she digs deeper she finds all kinds of things out, and it was interesting to see how she reacted and how it affected the supporting cast around her. I think this is a pretty good read, and while it may have a few pacing issues, the payoff is good, so if you're interested it's worth a shot. 

21 comments:

  1. It does definitely make you think how well do you know anyone. I loved this book but agree with your review that it is not fast paced. I had no idea it would end how it did and all of my theories were wrong. Great review Greg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! It was a little slow paced but I agree about that end- the twist took me by surprise. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooo this sounds really interesting! I love books like this that mess with your mind a bit. Great review for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one does mess with your mind a bit!

      Delete
  3. I'm torn on giving this one a go. I've seen mixed reviews but you do make it sound worth a read. Maybe my library will get a copy and I'll have no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a library rental I wouldn't recommend paying full price for it, but it does have its moments.

      Delete
  4. Not sure about this one - it sounds a bit slow. But I do like the cover :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit slow especially in the middle, but it's okay. I like that cover too.

      Delete
  5. I always like the premise of exploring how well you know someone. I read another reveiw for this one, and I admit I am curious but I am not sure I am up for another unlikeable Main character. UGh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. She was a little unlikable though...

      Delete
  6. I'm not a huge fan of thrillers but this sounds like something I can recommend to my MIL.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she likes a good twist and a satisfying mystery this might be just the ticket.

      Delete
  7. I am glad that you enjoyed this one. I didn't care for it. It was just too slow for most of the book and by the time the twists happened, I didn't care anymore. I do like this cover better than the other one I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was slow. And I had a hard time finishing it because of that. I like this cover too!

      Delete
  8. I liked this one though Hannah got on my nerves! I wanted her to do something other than self destruct!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm this is interesting! I am kind of curious now! I love twists, so I think I would give it a shot just for those. Hannah doesn't sound like the best character ever, and the slowness would probably be annoying, BUT if the end was worth it, I think I could overlook it. Great review, I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think killer ending can really make a book!! I hate when I feel like nothing is happening though. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A thriller with good payoff is always a fun time, in my opinion. I don't know what's up with this plot line though, it seems to be all over the place! I've seen one or two TV shows around that have the same "my significant other erased all evidence of their existence" story. Guess it's on trend now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting - and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete