Thursday, January 7, 2016

Desperately Seeking Susan



Desperately Seeking Susan is one of those guilty pleasure movies. Starring Madonna and Rosanna Arquette and a quirky supporting cast, it's a fun ride through 80's New York City and the bohemian scene. Susan is a free spirit and a drifter (played to the hilt by Madonna) but the story is really about Roberta, a bored housewife from New Jersey who gets mixed up in Susan's crazy lifestyle after hitting her head and losing her memory.

The title refers to the personals section of a New York City tabloid- when Roberta sees the ad for "Desperately Seeking Susan" she goes to the meet, but has an accident. She's been following the personals and realizes that Susan and someone else keep track of each other through the ads- and bored with her life, she's sort of vicariously living the thrill. After the accident she gets involved with a guy named Dez who is friends with Susan's boyfriend. The boyfriend Jim is trying to find Susan, and there's also some silliness about stolen earrings from an exhibit. This complicates everything, as Susan knows about the earrings- and the thief, out to get her, goes after Roberta due to mistaken identity. Susan joins up with Roberta's husband Gary, a hot tub salesman, to try and find Roberta.

This is such an 80's movie. Madonna is great as Susan, and Gary's sister Leslie steals a few scenes with her one liners. Poor Roberta is unhappy with the jerk she's married to, so even though she has an affair you kind of root for her and Dez- or at least I did. Towards the end of course Susan and Roberta meet, and Roberta has to decide what she wants out of life.

This is actually one of my favorite movies, it's just fun and quirky and all around awesome, as well as being a picture of the times. And it's got a great song- Into the Groove- by Madonna that captures the feel of the movie perfectly. Do yourself a favor and check this one out. Don't expect too much, but if you're sitting around some night with nothing to do, crack your favorite beverage and spend a little time with Susan and Roberta.

18 comments:

  1. I love this movie, too, Greg! I was a huge Madonna fan when I was younger, and anything she did, I wanted to know about... Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this movie in a while, but it's one I remember fondly. It was one of my favorites when I was younger. It really is a fun movie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, it's one of those movies I can watch and never get tired of. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I've ever seen this movie though I've seen enough clips and pieces of it that I feel like I've seen the whole thing. I need to fix that. It looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun movie (good music too!). You should check it out...

      Delete
  4. It's been so long since I've seen this. Love your review, and thanks for bringing it back to mind for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, glad you like it too. I need to watch it again too sometime...

      Delete
  5. I've only seen bits and pieces of this movie when it's on tv sometimes. The thing I always remember most about it is the outfits. Those are some quintessential Madonna 80's looks. I'm going to have to actually sit down some day and watch the movie in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it's fun to watch in its entirety. It's entertaining just for the clothes!

      Delete
  6. I used to love this movie!! I wanted to be Madonna when I was a kid. I mean, really what little girl didn't? Lol. I had lace gloves and everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I liked her look in this one.. the 80's were awesome fashion -wise (and music-wise). This movie is just too much fun. :)

      Delete
  7. Definitely a guilty pleasures movie; I still think fondly of the times we were in when it was first released. My kids were teens during those years...well, some of them were, and we enjoyed the movie together.

    I used to have a copy of it...I think it went somewhere during a purge...yikes!

    I'll bet I can find it on Netflix or Amazon Video....

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a new one for me! I was a kid in the 80s so maybe that's why. I will have to add it to my list along with Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club. I am familiar with the song "Into the Groove" at least. The 80s were a fun decade. I kind of miss the big hair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this movie! Watch it if you get a chance, it's fun. :) The Breakfast Club is great too, great music and awesome lines. Sure it's aged a bit, not sure if TODAY's kids would relate, but it's a classic.

      Love the 80's!

      Delete
  9. I was so into Madonna. I loved this movie. I just wanted to be her so bad. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I haven't watched this movie in a long time! I was a huge fan of Madonna and I even tried to dress like her lol. This movie isn't the greatest but I did love the song. This was a fun trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen this movie in a loooong time but I loved it when it first came out. I was a teen in the 80's so I was a total fan of Madonna.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I own the “Nefertiti” earring Madonna wears in the movie!

    ReplyDelete