Friday, July 18, 2014

Review: Legacy of the Clockwork Key

Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)

Legacy of the Clockwork Key is the story of Meg Whitlock, a young woman in Victorian London whose life changed forever when her parents' watch shop was destroyed. All Meg has from her old life is a watch that she recovered from the ashes- the watch is precious to her as it reminds her of all she has lost. However the watch is more than it seems-as she soon discovers when she meets the stableboy Will, and and they discover a secret passage leading to a workroom of sorts- a workroom filled with all manner of strange devices. She soon discovers the existence of a secret society, a group of influential minds from al over the world who develop clockwork creations. What is the connection to her? She soon finds that her parents, and indeed her grandfather, were part of this secret order, and her whole life is turned upside down. She finds herself the target of a killer- someone who is killing society members, and wants her dead too.

I liked this story- the writing is good and there is atmosphere and tension. There are clockwork beats to contend with, a mystery to solve and even a sea monster! It's action packed but the romance also plays large part in the story. Perhaps too large a part- I just thought the romance was handled clumsily. For example, early on Meg is told to avoid the groom- so the very next morning she gets up extra early to- you guessed it, go see the groom. I mean, really? And the author lays it on pretty thick when he touches her and she gets all swoony- I was rolling my eyes a bit. That's my only real complaint. tHe story moves along, the secondary characters are fun and I really like the concept of the  secret order hidden in Victorian society.

The conclusion isthrilling and Meg must make an agonizing decision- the kind that makes you wonder what you would do. I really liked how the author focused on the social mores of the era. This is a good, fast paced adventure with nice period sensebilities, an occasionally silly romance, and some fun gearpunk elements. I liked ti and am looking forward to seeing what next for Meg.


8 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! Victorian England is a good setting, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Rita, it was good and the setting was half the fun. I'll definetly be reading the next one to see whats next...

      Delete
  2. This sounds good - I've been seeing it on your Sunday Posts for a while and wondering if I should read it. The romance does sound a bit overdone with the swooning and all, but then, that would fit the Victorian style. It's definitely going on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, and look forward to continuing the series. You're probably right about the Victorian thing, I snickered a little at the swooning but yeah, for that period things we take for granted would be very risque- so maybe she was more accurate than I realized. I did think she tried to convey that period and mosly succeeded. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good! I just finished The Diamond Thief by Sharon Gosling which is also set in Victorian London. I loved the setting so I'll definitely check out this book =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy that setting too, i must say, and have been reading more things lately set in that time and place. I think you'll like this, it's pretty good and Meg is a great character- she's true to the mores of that era but very determined and tough as well.

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stormi. It's a good read and the first in a series, I'll definetly continue with it.

      Delete