Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Review: All-New X-Men Vol. 1



All-New X-Men Vol. 1 is a new direction for Marvel's merry mutants, and I like it a lot. I have not read the X- books in a long time, so I'm a little behind the times, but apparently Cyclops has changed- he has become the face of the mutant revolution and is now on the run , trying to redeem himself and at the same time protect newly emerging mutants from human oppression. The rest of the X-Men consider him a dangerous revolutionary, but are unsure what to do about him.

Hank McCoy (the Beast) decides to go back in time to bring the younger versions of the original five X-Men (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel and the Beast) forward to the present day- the logic being that the younger Cyclops will be so shocked by what he does in the future that he will stop his future self. Kinda mine bendy. So the stage is set for a people out of time story.

Beast manages to convince the younger X-Men to return with him to the future, and once they do so they are stunned and amazed by the changes that have occurred. At the same time the present day X-Men are shocked at what Beast has done.

Mean while, we see present day Cyclops and his allies (Magneto, Emma Frost) trying to control their powers, which seem to be out of control at the moment, while at the same time trying to reach newly emerging mutants and bind them to their cause, offering to train them in their new powers. They establish a new base of operations and begin to build a school of their own. What will happen when they come face to face with the time- tossed original X-men?

I like the way the writer handles the characters, for the most part. I have a hard time believing Cyclops would do some of the things he's apparently done- that's just a stretch, they seem to have really taken his character into left field in recent years. And I've never Scott and Emma as a couple So that half of the story doesn't really work for me. I like the twisted time travel concept so much that I can just go with it. I like that they're doing fresh and different here. It's fun and fresh, and works.



8 comments:

  1. Oh it's nice! I have never read a comics like that but I think I could like it, I should really try to see how it ends up. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for visiting it's a lot of fun if you get a chance to check it out!

      Delete
  2. Cyclops is now allied with Magneto? Wow, am I behind! I'm having a hard believing he'd be so revolutionary. I might need to start reading comics again. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time with it too, to be honest. They have taken his character in some strange directions... I miss the old Scott...

      Delete
  3. I used to read the comic books back in college and just after - in the 1980s. So I'm WAAY behind. And also confused, because the movies, books, and comics don't seem to be following the same track. I'm not sure where to jump back in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is confusing, the movie are definetly their own thing. I'm way behind too, and don't like some of the directions they have gone in... but this series is a fun and kind of a fresh start, so I was able to jump in and get up to speed quick.

      Delete
  4. Love comics!!! Who is the silver guy on the cover? Silver Surfer?? I actually haven't read Xmen comics. I used to watch the amazing cartoon series and that's how I got to know them. Then of course the movies came later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The silver guy is actually Iceman- from the original XMen. He's gond through a few changes over the years. :) I love Silver Surfer, by the way- one of my fave characters. anyway, get this series- it's pretty fun!

      Delete