Saturday, July 12, 2014

Bookstore Spotlight- Vault of Midnight

Bookstore Spotlight is a new feature featuring local, mostly independent bookstores. I was surprised to realize just how many good indie stores we have here in Michigan. I easily thought of five right off the bat, and there are more throughout the state. I'll be including pics so read on and enjoy. And if you have any ideas for a good bookstore to spotlight- feel free to let me know, or share it yourself!



Vault of Midnight is the coolest comic store I've been in. They've been around Ann Arbor, Michigan for years and I was thinking of doing a feature - so when I saw that they had opened a store in my town I about fell off my chair. Of course I had to immediately check 'em out, so we loaded the kids in the car and went down there to see what's what. They 're downtown in a very happening area- I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship. :)

The first thing about VoM is- it's large. And clean. And the staff are friendly. There was a vampire on duty the time we visited, and she cheerfully took pics with the kids. What's not to like? They have all the new comics you could want- a full wall going all the way back, plus shelves of all the comics, graphic novels and toys you can imagine. It's just a total destination if you like any of this kind of stuff.

8 comments:

  1. What a delightful surprise to find! The local comic store I used to shop went out of business years ago. There's another in a different town but it's for hardcore comic fans; if you're not hardcore, get out and don't waste their time. :(

    This is such a neat feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea! I'm having a lot of fun w/it so far. That's too bad about the "hardcore" comic store- they just shoot themselves in the foot when they do that, alienating potential fans (and customers) You need a Vault of Midnight ha ha! It is a cool store.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have a new favorite local store. I've never been in a comic book store. I've thought about checking one out, but I would have no idea what I was looking for and sometimes I feel weird just browsing in small stores, especially if I'm the only one in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be intimidating, and frankly some stores aren't very friendly or are just small and not very inviting. VoM is nice because it's big and clean and they're friendly- if more stores were like that I think more people would go to them!

      Delete
    2. I checked out the websites of the two in my area and one looks promising. I might stop in one day.

      Delete
  3. Very cool - sounds like they're more than a comic store but a real destination with the games and even a vampire behind the counter! I need to check and see if they have any in my area, I know my stepson would absolutely love it! Love this feature Greg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Berls! They are an awesome store, if you have anything like it by you check them out. A very fun place. :)

      Delete
  4. What a great discovery! I love the vampire behind the counter - the folks that run and staff this store are definitely cool, if that's anything to go by. I haven't been in a comic store in years, but this one sounds terrific. And again, I love the new feature!

    ReplyDelete