Monday, July 28, 2014

Bookstore Spotlight: Leelanau Books



Leelanau Books is a small, independent bookstore in beautiful Leland, MI (also known as Fishtown). Leland is a picturesque tourist and fishing village on the shores of Lake Michigan, on the Leelanau peninsula. It's just up the road from the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, called the most beautiful place in America not long ago by Good Morning America. Whether that's the case or not, it is beautiful there, and Leland is a great stop on the famous M22 route and a nice place to spend the day.

Leelanau Books is located on Main Street in the heart of the little shopping district, and is bright and airy. It's air conditioned (for those hot summer days) and they have a great selection of local Michigan books. They host a book club and offer 15% off the book of the month, and offer free shipping as well. There is also a patio in back with a nice area for relaxing.



There is also a cafe in the store now, called The Lil Leland Cafe, which serves coffee and sandwiches and various other items. The owner of the local Redheads Cafe, in nearby Lake Leelanau, decided to partner with the bookstore and you can now get a great coffee to go with your favorite book! I like the laid back feel of this place, and and it fits into the surrounding area so nicely. This is not a bookstore that will have everything under the sun, but they do have a good selection of the areas they cover, and of course they can order anything you might need.



Leelanau Books is a great destination if you're ever in the area.





20 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! I will have to make it a goal to stop in the next time I am Up North.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful! I wish I was there now :) chilling in the cafe with an iced latte and reading a book about the Sleeping Bear Dunes!
    You had such a great trip, Greg. And I'm sure the bookstores were happy when they heard you were going to feature them. Indie stores rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, actually. :) Indie stores do rock, and I have been fortunate enough to encounter several good ones lately. It's fun to share them with everyone... :)

      Delete
  3. You take the best pictures of indie bookstores! I'm envious!! Thanks for the post on your latest bookstore visit. I enjoyed reading it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and also for reading my post! :) They're a lot of fun to research -I get to hang out in a bookstore LOL!

      Delete
  4. Looks great, I wish I could go there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice place, I had fun checking it out!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this store looks super inviting. You're really doing everyone a service by putting a spotlight on these indies. :) Have you heard of IndieBound? It's a great Amazon alternative to buying books. It hooks you up with local bookstores in your area. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice, airy place- I like the layout. I have heard of Indiebound but wasn't aware of it- that's a great thing to know and I will definitely look into it!

      Delete
  6. That looks so bright and lovely. And who doesn't love coffee to go with your books? Thanks for sharing your visit with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsey for reading! It is a nice bright place and fun to browse through. And a little refreshments too never hurt- they have a nice patio area out back where you can relax.

      Delete
  7. Love it.. I recently was in San Diego and went to a cute little book store and it made me think of your feature here. I wanted to do a post on it but didn't take any pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun finding new book stores? If I see one I'm going in. :)

      Delete
  8. What a great bookstore! I love all the white shelving - it really gives it a crisp, open, airy feel. You're inspiring me to start taking photos and posting about some of the bookstores near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that too- the white throughout, and the open airy feel of it. It's got a nice vibe to it. Also the patio out back is nice, I didn't get any shots of that.

      Delete
  9. It's lovely and looks like a store where I could lose hours browsing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love this bookstore! And with an adjacent cafe, too...that is a reminder of all my favorite things. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of this place - very fresh and airy feeling! You're making me really want to explore and find the independent book stores in my area - that's something I've been really negligent about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very airy, I love the layout and the brightness of it. It's very inviting to walk into! I'm really liking exploring the bookstores... not a hard sell for me LOL!

      Delete
  12. I love this bookstore! My dad has a rental near there, that we go to just about every summer. This bookstore is a highlight of the trip for me. Lol.

    ReplyDelete