Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Bookish Time Travel Tag

The Bookish Time Travel Tag is hosted by The Library Lizard. I was tagged for this by Mareli Thalk ink and thought it sounded like a lot of fun. And I love time travel. So here we go...

The rules are:

  • Answer as many of the questions as you can/ want
  • Tag other people- as many as you like. share the love!
  • Please leave a link to this post/ blog
  • Tag the post as "Bookish time Travel" 
  • Explore! Try and visit other people's Bookish Time Travel posts and leave a comment. 

The questions.

1) What is your favorite historical setting for a book?

I like the Victorian era, both for murder mysteries as well as fantasy or vampires/ strange creatures. There's just so much atmosphere... give me foggy streets, gas lamps and perhaps a werewolf or creature of the night on the prowl...

2) What writer(s) would you like to travel back in time to meet?

I would say JRR Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. To sit with them and discuss their creations as well as philosophy (I think Lewis would be fascinating in that regard).

3) What books would you travel back in time and give to your younger self?

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings #1)

Maybe The Lord of the Rings- although I did read it young I had read other, derivative fantasy first.

4) What book(s) would you travel forward in time and give to your older self?



Not really sure- I think maybe a Peanuts compilation or something humorous. There's a tendency to lose the sense of wonder as you get older, and as a kid these were a refuge from the humdrum. Maybe having these as an older person would remind me to lighten up? :)

5) What is your favorite futuristic setting from a book? E.g Panem from the Hunger Games.

I love futuristic, cyberpunk- ish settings so probably something like that. A futuristic city with starports and neon- something like Blade Runner. Or maybe Chicago from Divergent- it was a lot of fun wondering what was outside the wall. Too bad the answers were ultimately disappointing. But I always like ruined cities in the future...

6) What is your favorite book that is set in a different time period (can be historical or futuristic)?

A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)

A Princess of Mars is a childhood favorite that I'm still fond of today. I'm not sure it's a favorite anymore, but it had such a impact on me as a kid it deserves mentioning. It's set in Civil War times but the majority of the book is set on Mars and could be any time period really.

7) Spoiler time: Do you ever skip ahead to the end of a book just to see what happens?

I've been known to do this... from time to time. I don't do it as much now, but in the past I have done it, especially if it's something I'm really anxious to know. Sometimes in split POV books I'll skip a chapter if I have to know how a cliffhanger resolves. :)

8)  If you had a Time Turner, where would you go and what would you do?

Wow, tough one. I have several answers.

The age of dinosaurs. Forget Jurassic Park, I want to see dinosaurs in the primordial world and see what they really look like. As long as I could get out again...

Egypt at the time of the pyramids. How did they really build them?

The birth or crucifixion of Christ. So many questions could be answered... or maybe Easter.

9) Favorite book (if you have one) that includes time travel or takes place in multiple time periods?

Tunnel Through Time

As a kid my favorite time travel book was Tunnel Through Time. These kids and their scientist dad go back in time to the dinosaur era, and also visit the Ice Age and end up bringing a prehistoric girl back with them. If I remember right she jumps back into the past...

Time Salvager (Time Salvager #1)

A more recent might be Time Salvager. While it's not a favorite book necessarily, I do like the concept of going back in time to acquire resources- things that are no longer available but can be used in the future.

10) What book/ series do you wish you could go back and read again for the first time?

Probably the Lord of the Rings. When I read it as a kid some of the stuff in Fellowship bored me... all the Shire stuff. Now I appreciate it more and as an adult I think it would be a blast to discover for the first time.

So... there you have it. It's been fun traveling through the mists of time to answer these questions. A big thank you to Mareli Thalk ink for tagging me... and feel free to tag yourself and join the fun!

35 comments:

  1. Aaagh, just a pleasure! Thanks for the mention. If you do get to meet C.S. Lewis - ask him to just wait a second and open a porthole somewhere for me. I promise to bring tea and cake. I loved your answers and am checking out the Lady Emily series as I type here. Have you read the whole series? Seems quite good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for tagging me! It was fun to put together. And I do like the Lady Emily series although certain books I like more than others.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to doing this one too! I have the Lady Emily series on my TBR and that one especially looks good. I love country house murders! I love a Victorian setting too. Something about those gas lights. What a fun travel through time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your post. The Emily books are good (I think I've come across one I didn't care for, the rst have been good to varying degrees) and I hope you enjoy them when you get to them. the first one is actually one of my favorites because it gets into her love of antiquities. I agree about the Victorian setting.

      Delete
  3. Yay for country house murders! Gothic Victorians with servants, hidden staircases, and loads of secrets!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen this tag around. I imagine you could have some really interesting conversations with both Tolkien and Lewis. Enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! Would love to talk to bo th of them...

      Delete
  5. Ooo, cool book tag!! Glad you had fun participating in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Time Salvager has an EPIC cover!! I honestly don't read a lot of time travel books (although I read two this year! Loved one and hated the other hahah xD Oh dear....) But they can be super cool! And I would like to meet Tolkien and CS Lewis too. THEY ARE FANTASY GENIUSES.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah time travel can be hit or miss. Time Salvager was fun though!

      Wouldn't it be awesome to discuss with Tolkien and Lewis?

      Delete
  7. Very cool tag - I may be doing this one in the future! :) I'm looking forward to reading Time Salvager myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! And enjoy Time Salvager. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm with Lauren. Very cool tag! You skip ahead to the end?? I've been sorely tempted but have never done it. Even if it was a DNF book. Maybe I should read the end of those. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to... although I don't do it much anymore. :)

      Delete
  9. This is an awesome tag! I love your answers. My answer to #2 would have to be Oscar Wilde. His works are so funny and clever, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a conversation with him. Or maybe Agatha Christie would be a good pick? Hmmm...I may have to try and do this book tag myself. Really interesting questions to ponder here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great answers! Imagine talking to Christie, all the things we could learn... talking to a master of the mystery.

      I hope you do this one!

      Delete
  10. Oh this is a fun tag. I've heard about Time Salvager. It sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping! Time salvager was fun.

      Delete
  11. Ancient Egypt is one of my favourite time eras. Their art is so beautiful! I wish more books were based on that mythology, too. I know they were a slave-based society and that fantasy would probably romanticize that but yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, as a kid I always wanted to go to Egypt. See the pyramids... seems like you could do so much with the mythology and aura of that time period.

      Delete
  12. LOVE Victorian London and oh man...meeting Tolkien would be absolutely incredible!! And visiting Ancient Egypt would truly be a dream come true to me - just thinking about it makes me giddy :D This was a really fun tag Greg^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too... probably wouldn't want to live there lol but to read books there... yes please. :) And wouldn't it be awesome to see ancient Egypt??

      Delete
  13. These are such fun questions. I agree that Lewis would be fascinating to talk with.

    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only reader who skips ahead. Sometimes I just can't wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done it before, I have to admit. :) Although I don't so much anymore... and I agree about Lewis.

      Delete
  14. What fun! I enjoyed reading your answers, Greg. The Victorian era is a great setting for so many different scenarios, especially the ones you mention. I wish I had read Lord of the Rings earlier too. I was well into my adulthood when I discovered it. Such a great story.

    My husband kind of ruined time travel for me for awhile there--because he has issues with the concept--but I've read a few in the recent past and find I really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'd love to read more Victorian era stuff w/ just those elements!

      Time travel is funny, and when I did a post on it a couple months ago I discovered that a lot of people really don't like it- for various reasons. that was new for me because I've always found it fascinating. But I can see why it poses problems for people. I've seen bad ones and good ones... :)

      Delete
  15. Victorian London is just kind of the perfect setting for that mysterious paranormal vibe. I've actually read numerous books in that setting this year, and they did all seem to have some sort of creepy monster element.

    Oh yeah, you are always posting artwork of futuristic, cyberpunk settings, and that's where your story you've been posting is set. I should've known you'd choose that. I've been meaning to try more cyberpunk ever since reading Artificial, but idk, I guess I'm still hesitant about it? I do like those types of dystopian, ruined city settings you mentioned though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- something about the Victorian era that just screams vampires, werewolves, and things that go bump in the night. I'd like to read more of them actually.

      Cyberpunk is funny, when I look at "classic" (so- called) cyberpunk very little of it actually appeals to me, yet I love the idea of it and the whole futuristic, noir like setting. A lot of it just seems weird or not done in a way that interests me, you know? Maybe that's why I gravitate towards dystopians- at least I get SOME of that futuristic grim vibe anyway. :)

      Delete
  16. Love this tag! I totally agree about Divergent-Chicago, because I love the idea of being like, able to know exactly where something is set! And I think that Victorian London is definitely a great setting- so much potential! Love your choices for the Time Turner too- those would be SO fascinating, and I love that you'd be able to settle mysteries once and for all. That would be the best, having total peace of mind about life's unanswered historical questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true- all the questions that could be answered! And I did love the Chicago setting of Divergent- it was fun seeing the ruins and not knowing what was outside. Sometimes it's better not to know lol since the eventual reveal can be, shall we say, disappointing ha ha.

      And I need more paranormal Victorian books.

      Delete
  17. This is a great tag! I think I would pick the 50's for a setting. I loved the two Peyton Place books and The Outsiders. I think I would tell myself not to read A Clockwork Orange until I was older. Ha ha. I would love to see dinosaurs, too! I want to know if they really had feathers. I am hoping that Japan is successful in cloning a Wooly Mammoth before I die. I would love to see that. I am going to do this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post-- so many good to me answers, and similar to what I might have chosen. I too would love to travel to Victorian England for a visit, but not to stay long unless I brought modern medicine with me :) I would most likely choose The Shire or Rivendell, the places I always fangirl about, but for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun tag! Fantastic picks on the time turner question. Especially the dinosaurs one! I would love to know that as well. Oh and I love books in the Victorian Era! So many genres blend well with it.

    ReplyDelete