Monday, July 11, 2016

Cover Characteristics- Mythological Creatures



Cover Characteristics is a meme by Sugar and Snark- every week a characteristic is selected and we post 5 books with that week's theme.  


This week's pick- Mythological Creatures   


This is a rogue theme I'm doing this week, I've been kinda holding this one in reserve for a topic that I wasn't feeling. So here we go... creatures of myth and legend. From winged snakes in a steaming jungle to the creatures of Greek myth, from dragons wheeling through the clouds to a unicorn in a sun dappled glade, there's no shortage of covers for this topic, so I went with ones I really liked or just wanted to showcase. 

The Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3)  

I've heard good things about this book, and I like the coloring of the dragon.  

Tides  

In some ways this is my favorite, I just think it's a great cover. It looks especially good as a hardcover and I'm glad I have a copy of this one. This book is about a selkie and is set off the shore of New Hampshire- I liked it.

Image result for faeries images

 Faeries are a favorite subject, I like their dark and mysterious nature and you can tell so many kinds of stories- from lighthearted romps to seriously dark tales. 

   
This is probably my favorite- I love the storm tossed seas and the perspective is like someone in the water.   

Dragon Magazine 158-A by Wizards of the Coast

Another favorite - I chose to go with dragons several times (let's face it, I like the covers). I like this one for the isolated nature of the setting- and notice the thief hiding below the nest. He better hope she's doesn't find him... 



Another issue of Dragon but this one I like for the whimsical nature and the rather varied treasure hoard.  

  
Centaur Aisle (Xanth #4)

I like this one for the cockatrices and there's a centaur too, so we have all kinds of stuff going on 



You can never have too many gryphon covers

Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)

I like this one for the brightly colored fae creatures

15 comments:

  1. I've liked the Marie Brennan covers but have not gotten around to reading any of them yet. I also like the faerie cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those too. I kinda want to read them!

      Delete
  2. I love the Basilisk cover too. It looks almost like an Audubon print. I also love both Dragon covers. The dragon sitting in the hoard of treasures just captures the imagination and how can I resist the unicorn? Great topic even if you did go rogue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Basilisk cover is a good one. It's the first one i found and I thought perfect! And I couldn't resist the Dragon covers- they seemed appropriate!

      Delete
  3. The Basilisk cover reminds me of my students discovering and arguing points of the megalodon during our Shark Week project this past year (it's really two months of project). I really like the TIDES cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this theme! I should do this theme some other time! Here’s my Cover Characteristic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was such a hard week, I love your theme! Fun to look for all the creatures. Thanks for stopping by my Covers post earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tough week. I had to go rogue. :) And thanks- you had some good ones!

      Delete
    2. I also like the color of that basilisk dragon thing. But Tides is my favorite cover, and it sounds like a book I might like.

      I don't love that one with the dragon in the water because that looks like my nightmare lol. I would never want to be in stormy seas like that! But really, their boat has a dragon head carving and a dragon on the sail, so they were kind of asking for it lol.

      I didn't even notice the thief on that one cover until you pointed it out! The thief makes it better lol.

      Delete
    3. Tides is my favorite- either that or the dragon in the water thing. I like the colors of that one- and yeah how ironic is it that they have a dragon sail and then- that happens! lol and yeah the thief is easy to miss- I kinda hope she catches him though. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, great idea for cover characteristics! I imagine you had a plethora of covers to choose from. I like the basilisk and faeries covers and all of the dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No man! You should have nominated it so that we ALL can list our favorite mythological creatures. Those I'll be able to find.... Balconies was tough. But I got a few. Love your post and the creatures. Imagine dragons.... http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/07/cover-characteristics-balconies.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great rogue week! Love all those covers :)
    Thanks for joining in last week :)

    Sugar & Snark

    ReplyDelete