Thursday, March 30, 2017

Distress Signals

Distress Signals

Distress Signals is a chilling mystery about a woman who goes missing from a cruise ship and her boyfriend's quest to find out what happened. Sarah was supposed to go to Barcelona on business but when she doesn't return Adam starts to realize something was wrong. Their relationship might not have been where he thought it was. Instead of coming home she boarded a cruise ship and supposedly disembarked in France- but there's no sign of her. Adam eventually boards the cruise ship himself, after retracing her steps, but things just get more complicated from there. 

Cruise ship plus missing person pretty much had me at the premise. Add that atmospheric cover and I was sold. Unfortunately this was hit or miss for me. There are two stories here- one is Adam and Sarah's story, which I liked, and the other is from a different perspective, which I did not like. For spoilery reasons I don't want to say too much about the other POV, other than to say it brought the book down.  I couldn't get into it and at the end I had to wonder if it was even necessary. The main plot point is the disappearance of Sarah, but there are other things happening here and by the end they are somewhat connected. I say somewhat because I didn't think the secondary storyline was necessary. 

If you just stick with Adam and Sarah though, I liked the story a lot. It's tense and has several twists towards the end that really raise the stakes. Adam is forced to question everything he knew about his relationship with Sarah and is forced to confront some truths about himself that maybe he didn't want to see. And he's pretty realistic- he freaks out at times, and the author really sold the devastation he feels when he realizes he may never be with her again. 

Adam is determined though and even though he may be self- absorbed he does love Sarah. I liked the glimpse of her we get before she leaves, and would have loved to see more from her POV. The story touches on maritime law and the fact that there is not a lot of accountability, generally speaking, for crimes committed at sea. That alone could make one want to reconsider their next cruise! The locations range from Ireland to France and while the action picks u towards the end, I wasn't really buying the ultimate why of this. The payoff didn't seem very plausible to me. The twist though is nice and I thought was unexpected. 

I thought this might be in the same vein as The Woman in Cabin 10, and to some degree it might be, if you swap out the Norwegian setting of that one for the French Riviera in this one. I think this is a fine mystery, and a very thought provoking read about what someone might do if a person they love goes on a trip but doesn't come back. There's also a theme of a good person pushed past their limits- that I thought was done well- but again this would have been a winner for me if not for that secondary storyline. 

9 comments:

  1. Great review, Greg :) That premise does sound amazing, and I think this is a book I'd enjoy. The idea has so much potential, and I'm glad you said you liked the perspective about Adam and Sarah. That does sound very good.

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I'm intrigued. A person going missing on a cruise ship does sound interesting. And Adam sounds like a great character, I love those characters who actually come across as realistic. But ugh, I hate unnecessary POVs that don't add anything to a story. It always makes me wonder why an editor didn't tell them to cut it. Glad you enjoyed the one storyline at least though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally, totally intrigued!Cruise ships are massive so I can only imagine all the places this woman could hide. At the same time, plot twist dictates she was never on the ship to begin with. Dun dun dun. Kidding...I don't know how this story plays out. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, you featured the cover of this book earlier and I didn't like it. However, now I know the story, I am intrigued. Maybe I could try reading it and miss out the chapters with the unnecessary POV?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's too bad about the secondary story line. I hate when books are over crowded with subplots and the like that just aren't necessary. I do love the sound of it though a lot of that is because I loved Woman in Cabin 10! I know a little bit about the legal issues on cruise ships and that it's basically impossible to get a real investigation because the ship and the crew are different nationalities and then there's the location issues. It's enough to make me want to avoid a cruise ship altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whyyy do books have to have unnecessary secondary plots?? I read a book once that was awesome, but then had this completely random missing friend mystery thrown in and it made no sense at all- I felt like it was just there to make for more pages. Which is extra sad since you liked the one storyline! Maybe I will just read the Woman in Cabin 10 one and skip this hah. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so intrigued with the premise! But all the extra PoVs makes me worried! That could get annoying and confusing if done wrong! Great helpful review Greg :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Murder Mysteries are not my thing, but I enjoyed reading your thoughts about this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored my ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. i was so happy to met Dr. Aire how he help many people to bring there Lover back so i contact him to help me too. that was how Dr. Aire help me to bring my husband back.. A big thank to you Dr. Aire because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. if you are here and you need your Ex Lover back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:
    Email him at: drairehome@gmail.com

    You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2347036740271

    ReplyDelete