Saturday, August 9, 2014

Movie review: Guardians of the Galaxy

The five Guardians, sporting various weapons, arrayed in front of a backdrop of a planet in space.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a movie I wanted to like, but didn't think I would. To be honest, the trailers were not a good sign for me. As a kid I have fond memories of picking up Guardians of the Galaxy comics at the party store or up north, so I was disappointed to see the movie go with the newer team. It's not the team I grew up with, so naturally I was skeptical. Well, I liked it in spite of myself. A lot.

The movie starts a little slow (I thought) and seemed a little lame at first. It picks up though when they all get together on Kyln, the prison planet or whatever it was, and by the middle of the movie it's firing on all cylinders. I liked the interplay between Drax and Gamora- I still think the older version of gamora is more mysterious and dangerous, but whatever. She won me over too. I expected to hate Rocket Raccoon but ended up liking him too- go figure!

It was nice to see lots of nods to Marvel fans- lots of Easter eggs for the hardcore fans. And a Celestial- just seeing that brief shot of a Celestial passing judgment on a planet- woot! Also, seeing a fairly obscure character like Nebula get screentime was cool

Knowhere was awesome too- which brings me to the visual effects. They were great- finally a good sci fi movie with awesome visuals and a fun story. I want more movies like this- set in deep space with lots of cool ideas. The cosmic side of the MArvel Universe has always had so much potential, so many good stories- and they hit it out of the park here- something I didn't expect.


4 comments:

  1. I was unfamiliar with Guardians of the Galaxy until the movie came out. It didn't really appeal to me either but I've heard such good things about it I have a feeling I'll be seeing it very soon! I love that they put in little extras so that hardcore fans can enjoy it while the newbies (like me) can still follow what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie sooo much!! I really can't wait to see it again. I don't think it has very much to do with the comics at all to be honest. So don't worry about staying caught up with the newer ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you ended up loving this movie! I think it's better that it started off slow and got better than the other way around. I'll have to try to watch this soon, haha. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 99.9% sure that I wouldn't get any of the easter eggs because I've never followed marvel comics (or any comics - I just never got into them) but I'm wondering if I should reconsider this movie anyway. I mean I have serious doubts based on the trailer, but it looks like you did too and you liked it. I may watch it once it comes to Netflix or Redbox. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete