Monday, August 4, 2014

Bookstore Spotlight: Horizon Books


Horizon Books is a full service, independent bookstore in Traverse City, MI. Located on Front St. they are in a prime location right in the heart of the shopping district, next to the historic, restored State Theater and the Grand Traverse Pie Co. Horizon has a long history in the area, having been in various different locations over the years, and have long been an anchor in the vibrant downtown area. The store has a main level as well as a downstairs cafe and coffee bar and upper level for nonfiction. They also have a small coffee kiosk on the main floor. They have a nice fireplace as well, with tables to stack your books on and read. And with great hours (open until 11:00 every night), you can spend as long as you want there. They also have tables and chairs outside, and Horizon is a prime people watching location as they're right in the middle of the action on Front St.

Horizon has a regular schedule of author signings and events, and they participate in the National Writers Series which frequently brings authors to Traverse City. Horizon offers a variety of book clubs to join and a list can be found here.






We spent a lot of time at that table!



Horizon is a family owned store and celebrated their 50 year anniversary a couple years ago. It's one of my favorite places in Traverse City and is just a great place to spend some time. We're in there all the time when we're in town.

This is a neat time lapse photo montage of downtown Traverse City, it showcases both Horizon and the nearby State Theatre which is the home of the Traverse City Film Festival. You can see Horizon at the 3:37 mark, and the nighttime view at 3:50 is very cool. The video was taken in winter so it doesn't do justice to the beauty of the area in summertime, but its well worth checking out.






16 comments:

  1. What a neat bookstore and how cool that they are family owned! I love the picture of your daughter! It's always fun to see kids turn into readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great place, and kind of a tradition for us to spend a lot of time in there on vacation! My daughter kept wanting to go in there and read, so that made me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bookstore spotlights! I have a couple I need to post that are all wrote up. There's just something so cool about seeing bookstores in other places though. I love when there's a cafe included and you can just sit and look at the books while drinking coffee and whatnot. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Candace. I agree, finding a new bookstore is a great thing! Some of these I've known for a while, but a few have been new to me too, and I've enjoyed that. And yes- this particular one has two places to get coffee, and it's a great hangout place.

      I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

      Delete
  4. This is a great bookstore! I wonder if they would let you bring in a piece of the yummy pie from GTPC and browse? Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question! I know with Grand Traverse Pie next door we went over and had a bite , it's pretty convenient now! Which is dangerous!

      Delete
  5. Lots of books with easy access to pie... this is my kind of place, lol :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it! The Grand Traverse Pie Company next door is pretty good, too! :)

      Delete
  6. They're family owned and still in business? Congrats to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they've been around for a long time, through diffeent locations. Pretty cool.

      Delete
  7. I'm jealous of those chairs as I usually sprawl out on the floor. I was absolutely mortified once when another customer had to step over me - I hadn't noticed them as I was so engrossed in hunting down my next book. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Hey whatever works right? It's good to be comfortable in a bookstore!

      Delete
  8. Traverse City is certainly lucky to have not just one but two good bookstores. The only one in my area is Barnes & Noble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for a small town (relatively speaking) they are quite the bookish town. I love hanging out on those bookstores when I'm up there.

      Delete
  9. That video was so neat! And it looks like the book store is fairly busy, which is great - especially since they're family owned. Good for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Tintin ! :) I'm all for independant book stores.

    ReplyDelete