Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Nancy Drew #2


Nancy Drew #2 picks up right where issue #1 left off- with Nancy falling into a cave after the rope she's using to lower herself is cut. She's in Bayport, her hometown, investigating the caves at Deadman's Cliff with Bess and George, as well as the Hardy boys. Something in the mysterious letter she received days ago made her think of the caves, but she's hardly been in town for a day and someone is already trying to kill her! She meets Pete, a kid passing by who just happened to notice that her friends above were unconscious, so he came to help and found her in the cave. 

There's a bit of an attraction there so Pete sticks around, and together with her friends and the Hardys she continues to dig. We also get a look back at seven years ago, when Nancy first explored the caves with her friends, and the tragedy that occurred to cut their explorations short. Nancy and Pete pair off intending to visit the caves again, but there are a few surprises in store and... more dead bodies!

Issue #1 was interesting enough that I came back for #2, and this one reeled me in a little more as the mystery deepens. We see a little distance has developed between Nancy and George, and when the friends can't find Nancy there's a humorous back-and-forth as they and Nancy crisscross town, passing each other in the process! Stuff like that along with the snarky humor keep this a fun, breezy story. And the discovery at the end has me anxious for the next one. 

10 comments:

  1. The covers to these are amazing! Nancy Drew is great but I can't take her lowering herself from a rope into a dark cave seriously. If that's what it takes to solve a mystery then it's going to remain unsolved if it depends on me going into a dark cave. Great review! I may start reading these in the future for nostalgia's sake and all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! And right? Somehow I knew when she started going into a cave- by rope- that THAT wasn't going to end well! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to see if any of the ND's are on my Amazon Prime.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sounds amazing! Nancy Drew was probably the first series I fell completely in love with and I love this take on them! Nancy has a gift for getting herself into trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone either gets angry really quickly or they knew Nancy's sleuthing reputation before she got to town I think. How scary to get trapped in a cave like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling I'm going to end up getting these for my collection. I've gotten so nostalgic for my childhood with each of for these that you've posted. I just adored the series when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a ton of these books as a kid and played a lot of the video games, too! I love the idea of turning them into comics.

    ReplyDelete