Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Contagion

Contagion (Contagion, #1)

Contagion is quite the thrill ride. The action starts quick and doesn't really ever let up, making this a fast paced science fiction read with a strong dose of horror. Thea is a research intern being evacuated from a remote planet- inclement weather- when her team receives a distress call from another, even more remote, planet- Achlys. Since they are the closest team, they are sent to Achlys to assist, pending the arrival of a better equipped team. It's a ragtag bunch, Thea's crew, and they are not even remotely equipped for search and rescue, but their hard-as-nails captain Dylan insists on going. She has personal skin in the game, as her father is the commander on Achlys. The crew are resentful of Dylan's gung-ho approach to the mission, but they have no choice in the matter.

The story is told from several perspectives, including Thea and Nova, the pilot, as well as the lone survivor of the Achlys incident, who is still there. How did he survive? What is on Achlys? Well, that's the fun part. The atmosphere here is one of dread throughout, of slowly rising tension, and I loved it. The story is very cinematic, and felt like a movie- the author describes hissing vents, alert klaxons, shadows in darkened hallways. Catwalks and steam, emergency lighting- I felt like I was there almost, treading carefully through an abandoned spaceship, never sure what is around the next corner.

The pace is pretty relentless and I loved that. The crew is driven hard by Dylan, and instead of waiting for the full search and rescue crew, she makes them push on into the facility, which goes about as well as you'd expect. I liked Thea and Nova a lot, and was pulling for them throughout, even as I was hoping Dylan would die soon. The other members of the team were more or less expendable, in my view, although Sullivan grew on me. The doctor was interesting as well, with her personal connection to the crisis. I was never really sure who was trustworthy, other than Thea really, and that added to the suspense.

The only thing I didn't like was a certain twist towards the end that didn't really work for me, but I can't say much for spoiler reasons. Suffice to say it didn't really impact my enjoyment of the story- I had a blast with this- but it does impact the story going forward, and changes things quite a bit. I'm of mixed feelings about that, but nevertheless I'll be chomping at the bit when the next one arrives. And while it does have a bit of a cliffhanger ending, I was glad this didn't have a pat little ending that tied everything off. After the horrific events in this book, it would have felt cheap, perhaps, to have the survivors just go off into the sunset. No, it's more complicated than that.

So I highly recommend this if you want a thrilling, suspenseful foray onto a blasted planet, inhospitable to life, that holds a deadly secret and more than a little horror. I read this in two sittings, and the way the book is structured- with each section titled after a certain theme of the story- just added to the suspense. This would make a phenomenal movie, and while some aspects of it may remind of certain sci-fi horror or jump scare films, I enjoyed that. Just like the characters when their vital signs were displayed on the inside of their suit helmets, I think my pulse rate was probably elevated throughout most of this book! 

30 comments:

  1. I've been seeing this one make the rounds lately. I think I need to add it to my ever expanding TBR. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely reading this now, thanks to your review! I love space thrillers and this sounds like a good one😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed this a bit more than I did! I agree that the sequel can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have to know what happens next. Arg the wait!

      Delete
  4. I love the cover of this one and it sounds pretty exciting. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's usually not really my kind of books but why not

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fast paces and lots of action. I have been reading a lot more science fiction lately.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really exciting and I do like the sound of the female characters as well, even Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very exciting, and the characters are wonderful (well Thea, Nova & Dylan- the rest are lightly sketched).

      Delete
  8. Well this sounds like it was pretty damn awesome. I mean, it obviously had a few issues but I love how it sounds like the story was fast paced which a book like this would definitely need. It sucks a twist didn't really work for you the fact you want to read the next one is a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the next one, and I did love it! Highly recommend! I think the twist will work well for some, I just would have preferred a different tack, but that didn't ruin it for me.

      Delete
  9. It can be fun in a weird kind of way reading those books where the dread just keeps rising throughout and you just know something is going to happen, but you don't know what. But wow, you must've really hated Dylan lol. Sounds like you really enjoyed this one, and it must've been well-written to get your pulse pounding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was well written, and the tension was palpable. And yes I love books like that! What is it about dread ha ha and tension that gets us going? And oh yes I hated Dylan... :)

      Delete
  10. This looks like fun. Even with the twists that didn't quite work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've sold me. I really want to read this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear you had a good time with this one! I didn't enjoy it as much because I felt it was too derivative, but you're right, it is quite a thrill ride.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book might not be my cup of tea exactly, but gosh that cover is mesmerising!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love suspenseful and horror, so might need to keep this one in mind

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the premise that the cure is light years away! I haven't read a book that has a deadly virus in awhile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one sounds like quite a ride. And kudos to the author for not tying it all up neatly at the end. I’d much rather something feel organic than an unrealistic “and then everything worked out perfectly” ending.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not a lover of horror, but the cover speaks. The fast pace sci-fi sounds so suspenseful. Yay for the not-neat ending! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  18. RIGHT? This would make the BEST movie. Or show. Actually they should do a show so we'd have something fun to watch. I honestly cannot fully recall the twist at the end because I think I am confusing it with another book. I remember bits of it- and where the characters end up- but yeah. It was definitely entertaining! Glad you liked it too, great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am kind of loving sci-fi books set in space recently. I love books with a lot of action that have a sense of dread throughout, too. I'll have to check this one out, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like, excepting the twist at the end, this is a really good book worth reading! I like the sound of horror being blended with sci-fi and seeing how that works out in the book. And a consistent fast pace works well for me. It actually makes me think I would be hooked from beginning to end :D

    ReplyDelete