Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Obsidian and Stars

Obsidian and Stars (Ivory and Bone, #2)

Obsidian and Stars is the second book in the Ivory and Bone series, and picks up right after the events of the first one. Mya and Kol have survived the battle with Lo and the renegades and are preparing for their life together, but tragedy strikes and changes the clans forever. In addition, Mya's brother Chev decides to marry her younger sister Lees to Morsk, threatening the relationship Lees and Roon have. Lees resolves to run away with Roon, and Mya feels she has no choice but to take Lees herself, so that she'll be safe, while Kol talks to Chev. The story thus involves Mya and Lees fleeing to an isolated island, where they encounter people from another clan and other dangers. 

This was a solid follow up to Ivory and Bone, only this time the story is told from Mya's point of view.  I liked Mya in this one, I thought perhaps I might have trouble with her POV since it took me a while to warm to her in the first book, but that wasn't a problem. Her and Kol are solid but if there was one thing I didn't like, it was the angst over things like leadership  of the clans and the way forward. I can't say too much about that without spoilers, but suffice to say that the tradition of throwing everything but the kitchen sink in the way of our heroes is alive and well! I seriously wanted them to stop mewling over things and just deal. 

Having said that, I have little else to complain about. This was a fast read and I blew through it just like with the first one. This is set during the prehistoric era or perhaps the Ice age, it's not really spelled out, but it's clearly in that vein and so it's a little disconcerting when the people behave remarkably like modern people. Other than the fact that they use spears and hunt mammoths, they could be the protagonists in a YA story of another era. This probably sounds like a criticism also but while it's not what I was expecting (I mentioned this in my review of the earlier book as well) I still liked this story a lot. 

The sequences on the island are pretty thrilling- you have fights against other clans, natural disasters and even waterfalls. There's an action packed battle on a clifftop, and in general this one has more action. I liked the sense of exploration too as Mya and Lees find themselves alone at sea and then on an island with more dangers than they were planning for. I thought this would be a story of the two of them alone against tough odds, but surprisingly many of the supporting cast show up early on, so we get to see more of characters like Seeri and Pek, as well as Kol of course and a new face that adds something to the mix. 

There's a nice examination too of leadership and customs, and the sacrifices one must make. Mya and Kol have to wrestle with their own desires versus their responsibilities to their clan, and if those two things can be reconciled. Here again is where some of the angst came in, but at the same time it really allowed the author to explore the character of these two. The characters here are quite compelling and while, again, I'm a little skeptical that Ice Age clans were this sophisticated, this is a thrilling foray into a savage world, and a fun read. 

32 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series or this author, but readers are clearly loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've read anything during that time period. I might give it a shot.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have either. They're not bad reads.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh, unnecessary angst is a pet peeve of mine. Reading YA will get you over it ASAP. Glad you were able to enjoy a POV you thought you would not. I need to pick up this series soon :)

    Sarah @ A Weebish Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I thought it was pretty good- sure a few issues but by and large I would recommend!!

      Delete
  4. I've just picked this series up from my library... I'm not sure I'm going to prioritise it (because yikes, ARCs!!!) but you're making it sound like it's worth a read. :) Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I hope you get a chance! Would love to see what you think. I liked this one better...

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of this series but I'm intrigued. Sounds a bit frustrating with everything being thrown at them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little frustrated at times, like I mentioned, but all things considered I enjoyed this.

      Delete
  6. Sounds pretty interesting. And yay for a character pulling through when you'd been a bit iffy on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was nice to come around and like her. She just had a lot going on. :)

      Delete
  7. Follow up books have always been a struggle for me as of late, as there haven't been many that have lived up to my expectations, but I'm glad to see that you enjoyed this one Greg! Also the cover is pretty stunning! Great review as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that cover too, and yes this one was better for me than the first one. Yay! I think a lot of it was the environment, it felt more like an Ice Age survival story, you know?

      Delete
  8. It's nice when you're not crazy about a character but then they grow on you once you get their POV. Glad to hear the modern thing isn't getting in the way of your enjoyment of these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really come around on Mya . she was enigmatic in the first one but here she comes into her own, you know her better and I clicked with her right away.

      Delete
  9. " I seriously wanted them to stop mewling over things and just deal. " LOL I totally understand that statement. Sounds like an interesting read. Cool cover. ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yea I thought that a few times! Still it was a good read. :)

      Delete
  10. I love the covers, but the modernizations would pet too many of my peeves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea that was my biggest issue, it just took me out of the setting every time.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like an interesting and exciting read even if the whole Ice Age setting doesn't seem very genuine. Glad to hear you're enjoying it in spite of the angst. I'm wondering if there's a 3rd book. I guess I'll see when you review it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad because she had the whole wild/ isolated nature of the setting right, but then she's talk about kitchens and pants lol and I was like did they really use those terms? :)

      Besides that I enjoyed these. I don't think there's a third book, but now that you mention it I should go double check!

      Delete
  12. It sounds like at least more stuff happened than in book one? Because in the first, it felt kind of... easy? I think I'd prefer drama over ease, but I also am still kind of salty that the time period doesn't show through in this one either. I will probably read it at some point, but like, when it is on sale or something hah. I am glad that you enjoyed it, at least! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh it is nice to see that you had a good time again with book 2 there. That's for sure that we don't find a lot of books during this period

    ReplyDelete
  14. I struggled with the first book, but it looks like more is happening in book 2! I'm glad it was a fun read for you even if there were some ups and downs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't read this review too closely since I haven't read the first book, but it sounds like this is a marked improvement over the series debut! Any time a YA story examines the weight and responsibility of leadership it makes me think of The 100...poor Clarke and Bellamy. *weeps*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am more intrigued by the series after reading your review for this second book. I am still a little hesitant, though. I mean, it sounds good but I need to be able to make it through the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still kind of want to read this series... I dunno, the initial concept is so intriguing. Even though you said for the first book that it wasn't really that great (how the setting was portrayed). Still. Might give this one a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like such an interesting series. I believe that my local library has both books. So, I might put them on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow yes, it has to be a challenge to write a YA in a prehistoric time! I can imagine there will be room for a lot of disappointment. I think that may have probably ruin it for me :(

    ReplyDelete