Monday, November 21, 2016

Cover Characteristics Retro Covers Part II


Cover Characteristics is a meme by Sugar and Snark- every week a characteristic is selected and we post 5 books with that week's theme.   

This week's pick- Retro Covers II 

The rogue topics continue as Cover Characteristics is officially on hiatus. This week I am revisiting the covers of retro science fiction reads- I had so much fun last time I had to do it again. In fact there could be more installments! Because if anything there are a lot bad awesome old SF covers out there. 

Image result for dean ellis callisto coversLester Del Rey - Attack From Atlantis (Ballantine Del Rey:1978) | cover art by Dean Ellis: Image result for dean ellis  artistEye of the Monster The Mysterious PlanetPolarisA Fall of MoondustThe Other Side of the SkyImage result for planet of no return art  



Image result for dean ellis callisto covers

This is a fun cover - there's a blue dude and a worm thing, who knows what's going on? Another tale of the world with sky high trees and a green sun. 

Lester Del Rey - Attack From Atlantis (Ballantine Del Rey:1978) | cover art by Dean Ellis:

I love the domed city. One of my favorites. 

Image result for dean ellis  artist

This one is cool with the dinosaur and the pillars or towers- I like how they're all wrecked and you can see the girders inside of them. Plus a cool title.  

Eye of the Monster

Yikes.

The Mysterious Planet

I like the sense of cold this one gives off, the feeling of being on another world. 


Polaris



The Other Side of the Sky



Image result for planet of no return art


10 comments:

  1. These are all pretty bad/awesome. Although I think the Eye of the Monster one is more just bad. Lol. And "there's a blue dude and a worm thing, who knows what's going on?" is cracking me up. It does look pretty crazy but interesting. The facility inside the asteroid is cool too! And I like the other planet feel of the last one. Plus that tagline is intense lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I actually like that blue dude cover the more I look at it, it's got stuff going on. But yeah that last one is a keeper lol. SO retro... I love a good tagline. :)

      So yeah I keep going back and forth between those two.

      Delete
  2. Haha! Thank you for sharing, Greg. These old covers are so bad they are rather wonderful. Retro is the perfect word for them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe I love these old covers. Some of them really are terrible, but interesting at the same time. I love it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old school covers are so much fun. Those Andre Norton books in particular have awesome covers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these make me chuckle. Like.. that "monster" just looks like a giant bat, right? And I can't even SEE its eye so... misleading title and/or cover art. I like Attack from Atlantis, probably because of the water. While Crossroads of Time cover is hilariously bad, I LOVE the sound of the title, because... that sounds intriguing. I love these old covers, thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking at old pulp covers, and I have collected a fair number of books over the years because of the cover art. Sci-fi and fantasy covers are sometimes so utterly crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These retro covers are really fun to look at...my dad had a lot of these kinds of things when I was younger and I liked looking at them. Modern fantasy covers can be really breathtaking with the great art out there but this stuff is fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These bring back great memories of cruising the SciFi section of a huge used book store we used to have in Binghamton in the 80s. I could spend hours there just looking at all the covers. :)

    ReplyDelete