Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Tarzan #3


 
That cover. 

The Altar of the Flaming God- not a bad title either. 

I love all the stories dealing with the lost city of Opar. Tarzan is preparing to leave for that place - and their recent houseguest Albert Werper has just left as well, with some of Tarzan's Waziri warriors guiding him. Werper's plan was to kill the jungle lord Tarzan so that Achmet Zek's pillagers could run wild, but after about Opar he now wants the wealth. Tarzan uses the wealth of Opar to finance his estate back home in England. Our rogue Werper soon ditches the Waziri and follows Tarzan to Opar. I haven't read the book in a while so I don't remember exactly how it played out there, but the idea of Werper following Tarzan and his fifty warriors- undetected- seems sketchy to me. At any rate we get a nice look at how wild the jungle lord truly is, even sinking his teeth into his prey when he hunts. 

It's not long before they reach the ramparts of Opar. The log bridge across a vast chasm is a nice touch. The art by John Buscema here is spare but good. Opar- an outpost of Atlantis ten thousand years ago- now inhabited by bestial, subhuman things. Conveniently there's a hidden passage leading straight into the treasure vaults. The jewels of Opar! There for the taking- and Werper observes Tarzan and his men taking over a hundred gold ingots. Unfortunately, an earthquake takes that moment to happen, and Tarzan is struck down, losing his memory. 

Naturally. 

Werper, for his part, is captured by the savage inhabitants of this lost city and about to be sacrificed on the Flaming God altar- and meets La, high priestess of that terrible deity. She's about to sink her dagger into his chest when the amnesiac shows up. La wants to know if he's returned to be her mate- she's long had a thing for him- but when he declines she demands his death. Wielding the sacrificial dagger Tarzan fights them off. It hasn't been explained yet but Opar is strange in that the priestesses are all beautiful women, but the men are degenerate beasts. The women are in charge and presumably don't mate with the men- or do they- I'd have to go back and look at the books.  

13 comments:

  1. ... pendetanya adalah wanita cantik, tapi prianya adalah binatang yang merosot. >>> aneh sekali.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books sound wild! A very energetic cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the cover sets up a very exciting storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These comics sound like they have almost more in common with the Conan stories than the Tarzan stories. Of course, I've only read 1 Tarzan story, like 30 years ago now, so I might be the best qualified to make that statement, hahaha :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Tarzan losing his memory! OH MY! Such great covers to get you inside the story! Imagine where he'd keep his phone if it were written today. Fabulous post! Epic and so vintage, too!🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒 Thanks so much for your comments! Interestingly, I have two stories of two couples moving on in my Caitlin & Megan stories. Thanks so much for being here. Our air quality isn't so good once again and I feel as if I might be coming down with something. I did buy some more masks, I'm afraid. All the best to a great weekend. So glad your daughter found a great room. I remember the new dorms were like so NEW inside while where I lived at the old one was made of history..and very communal. ... especially the big bathrooms. Later, the HIGHRISE would be torn down, but I think the place where I stayed became more of a museum.


    Caitlin&Megan
    Ivy&Ellie
    Carefully Listening
    Ellie
    The Book Group
    Holly&Stevie
    Cherry Blossoms
    Better Left Unsaid

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a huge Tarzan fan as a kid but really more because of the jungle animals that him lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. my favorite book when I was kid..... a kind of adventure to read it

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very beautiful comic story. Were I was young the Tarzán comics, and Tarzán films were my héroes. Tarzán ever is Brave, ever is a Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you read any of the Tarzan novels? I read one of them as a teenager, but I don't remember which one, so I can't add it to Goodreads, ha ha. I should read the first one. 📗

    I love the artwork for older comics. Thanks for sharing these. 🙌🙌🙌

    ReplyDelete