Friday, August 4, 2023

Sunday Post 516

 

 
Thanks to everyone last week for the comments on my discussion about whether you'd want to prolong your life. For me it's a question of having enough time. The sense of optimism- of still having time- that for me is the big one. Not feeling like you're almost out of time. 

When you're young you have your life ahead of you, and life is like a road with no end in sight. As you get older you know the road is... not infinite. We celebrated my mom's b-day this past week and she was musing on how her mother lived into her 80's. It got me thinking- when the time is close, how does that feel? Like, imagining there are only a few mile markers left. 

At any rate, that's kinda heavy!! So, in other news... who's watching World Cup? I watched US/ Portugal  and man, Portugal almost won it. And the big showdown with US/ Sweden is Sunday. Also, I'm reposting two chapters of my ongoing story here since there were posting snafus and not everyone read 'em. Disregard those if inclined.  

This weeks discussion post throwback is Game of Thrones- What's Next At The Wall.   



Here is this week's lyric. 
She said her love for me could never die    

Here is the lyric f/ last week and the answer      

You do what you wanna do     
I'll leave it all up to you        
      

   Song of the week


PULP COVER OF THE WEEK: 

Image result for murder off the record image

  



Jen came to collect them.

"It is time," she announced. 

Joon and the others followed her, making for the Gate chamber. Howie was keening as if agitated. They could hear shouting and what sounded like heavy equipment being moved. There had been mention of unrest. As they came outside they were blasted by the wind and partially blinded by the sunlight. They hastened into another building and made their way to the Gate. It was humming quietly. 

Valerus was behind the controls with two technicians. He gave final instructions and then came over to the group. 

"I'm leaving you in charge," he told Jen. "Try to keep everyone calm and help Dr. Angelus any way you can. I'll be back as quickly as I can. It wouldn't hurt, though, to prepare for... evacuation, if that becomes necessary." 

She nodded, came closer. 

"Don't leave us here." 

He smiled and hugged her. 

"Let's go," said Joon. 

As they approached the Gate it began to swirl with color and other places began appearing. Joon could stare for hours at the vistas that appeared. If he had time, of course. The ops center at Sanctuary slowly came into view. They could make out emergency lighting, movement. Hopefully Stella was still in charge... 

Soldiers came into view. Black garbed, tactical gear, wearing what looked like gas masks. They didn't look like Stella's people. 

Joon was about to say something when a soldier began crossing the threshold. Everyone moved. Valerus turned back to the technicians. 

"Abort!" 

Hillier grabbed the soldier coming through, kneed him in the abdomen, to dubious effect since he was body armored, but she did wrench his weapon away and began firing indiscriminately through the portal. He fought her for control of the weapon and she bludgeoned him in the face with it. Valerus was back at the controls shouting orders. Joon tackled the soldier and shoved him through the portal. Then the view disappeared. 

Everyone stood there, speechless. Then Joon realized that of the entire group, only Hiller was now armed. 

Stella led the way through dark secondary corridors. She set a brisk pace. 

"What about the GOA? Could any of those Gates be... online?"

"They're all experimental, not actually reliable. I wouldn't risk that." 

 Mallory noticed that she hadn't been filled in on their destination. It was possible Stella didn't even know yet where they were going. 

"Stella. Stella Arios. Respond," Stella's comm piece came to life. 

She hesitated. 

"This is Stella." 

"Where are you? This is Rodriguez, tactical squad command. I'm ordered to secure the facility but you're not at your last known location."

"I had to move for security reasons." 

"Current location?" 

"I'm... not sure." 

"With all due respect, my orders are to secure the location and also protect your team." 

"Why are you shooting people?" 

"My orders are to secure the facility. We have rogue units as well as other unfriendly elements at large. When in doubt, my mandate is to liquidate. That does not pertain to your team." 

"What are your orders once you've secured us"

"My orders are to secure the facility- especially the Gate- and to await further instruction." 




Joon was watching the fish outside the window but his mind was elsewhere. 

Sabotage. 

Valerus had said it rather matter- of- factly, but the implications were troubling. Who could be the culprit? Did Stella have any idea? It was hard to ask her since they didn't have any reliable way to communicate, being on another world who knew how far away. 

He could see Howie, with his iridescent eyes and swaying tentacles, in the reflection from the viewport. The entire wall on one end of the room was transparent, affording them a view of the deep. They could see lighted walkways and immense domes in the distance through the murk. 

It would be completely dark here if not for the station's lights. He reflected, not for the first time, on all that they'd discovered. A water world, with multiple stations and an underwater base, and that wasn't even all of it. 

Apparently they had other facilities, on other worlds. It was all just too much to process. 

Maia came over and they stared together out the window. Neither spoke. It was enough, just to be together. They were both aware of their other companion Hiller, who was irritating Howie. Joon thought back to what Valerus had said, 


"We know all about you, I'm afraid," he had said to Hillier. "Metamorphs. Psychic vampires, in a way. Feeding off the emotions of others. Fear, primarily. Fear... terror. Those are the most delicious emotions, aren't they?"

Hillier made no reply. 

"Yes. I suppose Stella didn't share all that, did she?" he inquired, turning to Joon. "It's a tough position to be in. Stella's. What to say, what to share. In your case," turning back to face Hillier, "it's a matter of what to do. She was ordered by the Directors to figure out what makes you tick. Too big an opportunity to waste." He sighed. "Not wise, though. You're more trouble than you're worth. Too dangerous," he continued. 

"Did you know," turning to Joon, "that these... beings are believed to serve the very horrors that Stella is charged with forestalling?"

"There's been mention of that." 

"Yes, well Stella's in an impossible spot. Under orders to understand them, replicate their abilities if possible, but not let them get out of control. Rather like the Gates. But how do you control shapeshifters?"

"What is meant by... they serve the horrors?" 

Everyone looked at Hillier. 

She looked up, feigned confusion. 

Just then a technician came in, whispered to Valerus. 

"Would you excuse me?" he asked, leaving the room. 

"Yes, what does that mean?" jen asked. She was talking to Hillier. She had accompanied the group. 

She didn't get a reply, just a smile full of teeth. 

Valerus re- entered the room, flustered. 

"There have been reports of... unrest. Not sure what's happening. You certainly brought a storm with you." 

"Angelus asked about evacuations. It's possible word has gotten out that the Gate may be closing." 

"Yes. We have other settlements as well, but only one Gate here." 

"Rather much to risk around only one way in/ out," remarked Hillier. 

"Well, as I've mentioned, most of this was already here," Valerus replied. "But your point is taken." 

"What's our next move?" asked Jen. 

"I think we should go back to Sanctuary as fast as possible. Assess the situation, clear up what's going on with Stella and the Directorate, and make a decision." 

"There may not be a lot of time," Joon said. "The Directorate was sweeping the compound. Should we give these people a chance?" 

"I think," said Valerus, "that we go ASAP. Evacuating- or even preparing an evacuation- will take time that we don't have. And if the D deems us still open then no evac is needed." 

Jen looked uncomfortable. 

"Okay," said Joon. 

"Let's move," added Maia. 

Stella's heels clicked as she led the way down a passageway. Mallory was beside her attempting to keep up. They had abandoned Command - it was secure, but why be trapped there? The strike teams were closing in. She had wanted to stay, to remain close to the ops center. To the Gate. 

But she wanted to keep breathing too. 

"What do you think is happening?" asked Mallory. 

"Who knows?" Stella replied. "Knowing him, our good doctor will reveal too much. But what can I do?"

The complex shuddered around them. One of the soldiers took her elbow to keep her upright, but she steadied herself. 

"This isn't helping." 

They rounded a corner to find rubble blocking the way. Stella spun and everyone turned to retrace their steps. There were about thirty of them, mostly soldiers. She's split the Command group and sent them different places, for maximum safety. 

"Are we trying for the Hub?"

"Maybe. But the teams will zero in on that too."

There was shaking far away, and pebbles fell from overhead. One of the soldiers showed her a proximity scanner. Movement close, and now they could hear gunfire

45 comments:

  1. "It got me thinking- when the time is close, how does that feel? Like, imagining there are only a few mile markers left."
    I know how you feel. And I wonder about it sometimes, especially since my own parents are 84 and 85. I've also taken to think - how many summers, or winters, or birthdays, or whatever, do I have left? This is a recent development...

    Am I wrong, or the second of the two chapters is chronologically the first? I'm also sure I read it before, maybe as a flashback in one of the previous chapters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The team is advancing towards more uncertainty. With regard to longevity, it is also about quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sammy! I need more of his tunes!

    Just this week a chick died as he was working so hard to get out his shell. It felt bad not to be able to help him. I don't think our children's lib. will go through this again.

    So great that you celebrated with family.

    I have not gotten into the World Cup this year, but I am sure it will be one to watch for soon enough. Got some unexpected rain. It's been so muggy. I have been having to look through some of our Science Fiction TV series at the library wondering if we should kill them or not. Many libraries are phasing out DVD anyway..but this summer we have had a lot of checkouts for DVDs which I know sounds so unlikely, but then you wonder about our economy too.

    Stargate is the one I'm having to decide on. Unfortunately, we got the latter part of the series before we got the newer part since the DVD library is mostly through donations. Of course, we have to hang on to Star Trek and Star Wars.

    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! Oh, the sun is shining but I have been staying in. I did get a little writing in too. Hopefully, I can some endings which of course, lead to new beginnings. I haven't quite caught up to all the different stories I've got going. It is funny after letting something rest then to come back and find ..well, what about this. I think part of being a writer is seeing if the audience will buy it. Of course, I don't worry about it as probably as much as I should. I used to have a writer friend who could write the best prose. He also wrote stories about squirrels too which I was never smitten with. Of course, I wrote him a story once about a couple hanging out in a tree inspired by squirrels no less..he did not take kindly to that.
      Well, I guess I better write some content..somewhere. I hope your weekend is smooth and lots of burgers and rootbeer float waiting for you.

      Delete
  4. Te deseo un buen fin de semana. Genial fragmento. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great to reach 80's and healthy...

    # gunfire?.... interesting to know more....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I find interesting about aging is how some people's idea of what old or young is changes. I think because of my science background, I am more stringent (I compare it to average life expectancy), but my mother. One day, I said I was middle aged, and she said I was not middle aged because she was middle aged. I let her know she most likely won't be living to be in the 140s. LOL! People who are 90 die, and my mother says, they were young. WHAT? We just have to make the most of the time we have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess aging and being "old" is very relative. My mom is 78 but does not consider herself old. (ahem) And I've noticed that the older I get, the older "old" gets. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been watching the world cup, I don't watch sports. Sports are just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't mind living at the Poseidon base. 🙂 I'd be telling them to close the gate and not worry about me. 😄

    Baz and I used to watch the World Cup faithfully, I even bought vuvuzelas after they were used at 2010 World Cup, ha ha. I haven't watched in six or seven years, since he doesn't watch television with me anymore. It's one of those things, like movies, that aren't fun for me to watch alone. I did watch some of the Olympic soccer games last time. Maybe I will watch the final matches. ⚽

    Have a wonderful new week. ☀

    ReplyDelete
  10. That did get heavy! I wonder about that too, milestones and being in your 80s and beyond. On a lighter note, Murder Off the Record has a fabulous cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I confess that I avoid thinking of the time remaining Greg! And truthfully, no on knows how lonh he or she has!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I try not to think about getting older and having less and less time, it's so depressing! My strategy has always been to focus on the present, hopefully I can keep doing that😁

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandfather will be 99 in October. Its amazing! But, my husband and I had lots of talks about the end of life this week and what we want/don't want. It's so difficult because you don't imagine what its like but you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. More tension and suspense in your story! Hard to know who the good guys are. Can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, tough question indeed! I think I would like to prolong my time, IF I could ensure my health as well as that of my loved ones too. And I guess that's the most difficult and uncertain part about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oof, that is a heavy discussion topic! It makes me scared to think that my time left is limited.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recognize that I have finite time and thus things like dusting or vacuuming which eat up time irritate me. lol. I want to do things more interesting but with audiobooks I can learn more while doing them so I guess it's ok.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a tough topic. My parents and a lot of aunts and uncles who were considered wise elders in the family have passed. I realized I'm next in line to be one of the wise elders. I just hope I can at least try to emulate the generation before. Here's my SP: https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2023/08/06/sunday-post-beware-the-turtle/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aha! I definitely know today's lyric. I even saw them in concert when I was in high school! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't watch any sports so not paid any attention to the world cup. Hope your enjoying it though.

    Have a great week!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been thinking more and more about the age discussion. It's a very heavy discussion and I guess it means something different to everyone. I love the Pulp Fiction cover. It's really a nice one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Turning 70 has been an interesting mix of feelings / thoughts. Mostly I feel like it's just a number, like turning 50 or 60. That's because my husband and I are lucky enough to be in good health. But as I look around at my friends caring for elderly parents or even within the family and see older siblings dealing with serious health issues, the idea of mortality has crept in a bit. It's a balancing act - keep the positivity and activity of 'young' but don't be afraid to face the reality of 'old' (and be prepared). BTW - really like your vintage cover this week! :)
    Have a terrific week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-58

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't watch the game, but my dad told me about it today. Wow, what an to that game! Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm not into soccer. I'm more of a baseball and American Football fan.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not to sound morbid, but we could all be close to the end of our lives, we just don't know. I had some of my (previous) youth group over and one a 21-year old was telling me how her group of friends fell apart when one of them died in a car accident. And, then she said how a guy she went to high school with killed himself, they are all just so young.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll Fall In Love Again is one of my favorite songs. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I guess as we realise the time is running out it may make us want to live life fully. - if we can, don't wait though, I find as I age I am more easily tired.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't been watching soccer. It's one sport I haven't gotten into "watching" on TV. (Note: When I "watch" a sport, I usually have the volume off and I'm surfing the net or reading and not paying close attention.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I know that I am getting older but don't really think about how few years I likely have left to live. I tend to concentrate on the now and try to live it as best I can. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and that thought crosses my mind. My mother is in her 90s and I hope I have her health and longevity. Therr is never enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Deep conversations for today. I pulled a muscle in my back sneezing today if that tells you how I'm feeling. :) You always post such neat content. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My parents are into their 80’s (my Dad is 87) and I wonder what it would be like too. Is this the last time I’ll experience _____? Heavy indeed but likely something most of us think about at some point. Have a great week Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You did bring up a good point about not having enough time, I guess I do have an infinite TBR and my favorite authors keep adding more books and I find new favorite authors with backlists I need to go read still. Lol. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've been thinking about life expectancy and aging too. Not just for my mother and my in-laws, but also for myself. Recent health issues for both my husband and I remind us we aren't young anymore. Some days I feel so old and other times, I feel less so. My father-in-law's health situation has brought it even more into the forefront lately, just how short our time is. His appointment with the oncologist is next week and so we don't have a prognosis yet. Given the diagnosis, it doesn't look good. I can only imagine how he must be feeling--and what thoughts are going through his head. I know what a difficult time this is for my husband--the uncertainty, wanting to hope but not sure he should, and being so far away. He's struggling with how easily his mom, dad, and brother have accepted that the end may be near, but my husband wasn't there when his dad was diagnosed and is not living with him day to day. I am glad we were able to visit his folks this summer.

    Now it's time to turn our attention to the beginning of the school year.

    I hope you have a great week, Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have thought about my mortality a lot during my adult life. My dad was only 54 when he died suddenly. I was 20. I stopped taking time for granted on that day. Now that I am getting closer to his age when he passed and am older than my mom was the first time she was diagnosed with cancer, it seems even more real. Have a great week, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've thought about my mortality for a long time. My mom passed away at 42 from breast cancer when I was 21 and it impacted my life in so many ways. For years I was afraid I'd also get it. I still worry sometimes, but I'm 53 now, 11 years past her age. I try to stay in shape and live healthy, do my checkups. There isn't enough time to do everything you want.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's wonderful to be able to live till 80 or 90 and is still healthy. My grandmother was 100 when she passed. My mom was 60 when she got lung cancer; and she didn't know about it until it was the final stage. For me, I try to be positive and also to enjoy and appreciate the time as it goes as no one knows what'll happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your take on aging, and you are exactly right - it's about feeling like you don't have enough time. I suppose that's why we should strive to live life to the fullest, so that when you're near the end you have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yeah, you really start to question life once you hit your 40s. I know I have been. We've been watching the World Cup highlights every night and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. My dad is 80 and thinks he's going to live to 100. He doesn't think he's old. It's weird how perception changes as you age.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Time, death, prolonging life, immortality.... these be heavy existential questions indeed. My parents are getting old too, so sometimes we do end up with those same philosophical questions. As dear Dumbledore said in the Harry Potter books, death is only the next greatest adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  42. I wonder sometimes if my grandparents think about the future that way, it's interesting but definitely heavy.
    In other news I'm sad Canada got out of the world cup so soon. Being the reigning Olympic champs I had much better hope for them.

    ReplyDelete
  43. My dad is 96, and I don't think he even thinks about death!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I remember my grandfather talking about how he wouldn't be around at the next holiday or birthday or whatever for most of my life. He lived to be 99! He was counting his days for at least 30 years. That's not good for anyone's mental health.

    Your Tahitian blues are stirring up my travel blog. We pretty much live like we're on vacation but we're on active vacation. We're both ready for a week on a tropical island somewhere, where the most difficult thing we do is raise a finger for another cold drink.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete