Monday, June 11, 2018

The Anti- Valentine's Day Tag


I was tagged by JJ at This Dark Material for this one and it looks like a lot of fun. Thanks JJ! I like that this is kinda different from a lot of the tags out there, and coming up with questions was tough! So let's have a little fun at Valentines Days expense. :) 

The Rules

1) Link back to the blog that tagged you 

2) Answer the ten anti- Valentine's Day questions provided

3) Come up with your own 10 anti- Valentine's questions for blogs you tag

4) Tag ten other bloggers

JJ's questions 

1) If you could banish one romantic trope from fiction forever, what would it be? 

Probably love triangles, honestly. Just not a fan. 

2) Name a book you loved that passes the Bechdel test.

Big Little Lies.

Big Little Lies

3) Name a book that features a male/ female friendship that doesn't turn romantic.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Katniss and Finnick. 

4) What's the funniest book you've read?

I'm going to go with Big Little Lies here again- it's not the funniest book I've ever read (I'm actually not sure what that would be), but it is frequently hilarious.

5) If you had to choose between only reading romance novels or horror novels for the rest of your life, what would you choose?

Probably romance, oddly enough. I mean I don't read romance generally, but all horror all the time would get old. So hopefully I can cheat and read all YA or fantasy with romance in them

6) What's your favorite parent/ child relationship in fiction?

I... am not sure but will say, off the top of my head, Tom Sawyer and Aunt Polly, or Madeline and Chloe from Big Little Lies

7) What upcoming release are you most looking forward to in the second half of 2018?

Probably Record of a Spaceborn Few. I love this series.


8) Who was one of your bookish crushes as a child?

La, the high priestess of the Flaming God in the lost city of Opar. Wow, that's a mouthful. But yeah, I might've had a bookish crush...

"He recalled the scene within the temple when he had lain stretched upon the sacrificial altar, while La, with high-raised dagger, stood above him, and the rows of priests and priestesses awaited, in the ecstatic hysteria of fanaticism, the first gush of their victim's warm blood, that they might fill their golden goblets and drink to the glory of their Flaming God." - Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar

I mean, how could I not? :)

9) What was the last book you stayed up all night to finish?

Probably Bad Girls With Perfect Faces.

Bad Girls with Perfect Faces 

10) Name a love triangle that wasn't so bad actually 

I sort of didn't hate The Hunger Games? I honestly felt that Gale and Katniss grew apart as they got older and more experienced, and as much as I hate the trope I didn't hate it as MUCH

I nominate

LaLa in the Library
Booker T's Farm
Victorian Soul Critiques
A Dance With Books 
Adventures of a Book Nerd
It Starts At Midnight 



My Questions (mwa ha ha) 

1) Tea or coffee? 

2) What is the most surprising book you've read this year? 

3) Name a favorite book friendship and what you like about it 

4) Sentient androids have been developed and are affordable- and can be customized to have independent thought, for those who want a thinking companion - would you get one? 

5) Name a recent highly anticipated release that you were disappointed by. 

6) What is your favorite cuisine? 

7) Name three favorite musical artists 

8) You can shapechange into  a cat, an owl, or a dolphin. Which do you pick? 

9) You have access to a secret library, but must choose- the one from Beauty & The Beast, the one from a certain wizards school, or the library at Rivendell. 

10) You can play one of three roles in a virtual reality world A: an assassin who can take the form of others, B) a pilot of a giant mech/ robot in a futuristic world, or C: a highly skilled thief/ pirate vagabond in a medieval fantasy world- it's totally imersive and you can feel pain, be "killed" (not your real self)- who do ya pick?

12 comments:

  1. Finnick is one of my most favorite characters in The Hunger Games! I 100% support your cheating of reading romance by reading YA. The love triangle trope is overdone in YA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun meme to read on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your answers to these questions, and I agree with most of them (the others are references I don't know anything about!) I also hate love triangles as I find them a lazy way to insert drama into a plot and are generally not interesting or fair to the characters involved. I loved Finnick in both the books and the movie, and I also think that as love triangles go, the Katniss/Peeta/Gale one was tolerable. Though honestly I didn't really like her with either of them, but that's a whole different issue! I'm tempted to jump in and answer your questions - would you mind? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not love triangles! I like those! Oh yeah, that was a good choice of friendship! Have you seen the edition of Record of a Spaceborn Few (or maybe it's all the books and not a special edition, idk) with the artwork on the endpages??? Oh my gosh, it's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes love triangles just need to die!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always surprised that I enjoy love triangles now and then. As long as they are different with a twist😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the relationship between Katniss and Finnick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a romance lover, I'm a firm believer that 99% of love triangles should indeed be banned. They're almost always overly dramatic and annoying. 🤣I think the funniest book I've ever read is still Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper. I've re-read it at least five times and the jokes are STILL funny to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Record of a Spaceborn Few is up on Edelweiss and I requested it. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh this is fun! I definitely agree about Katniss and Finnick- it was never even a question, which is kind of rare! I need to read Big Little Lies soon. Like a lot. And Bad Girls with Perfect Faces, which I got because you so highly recommended it! I actually don't *hate* love triangles? I mean, if they're done well. Like in The Hunger Games, I agree with you there too!

    And thanks for tagging me! I think I have a few tags saved up to do a tag post now, yay! (I LOVE the questions, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your answer for the question about which you would choose to read between horror and romance for the rest of your life if you could only pick one. I'd probably go with that too. Romantic suspense counts right? Get a little mystery in there too. :-) In addition to paranormal/fantasy and YA. Haha

    I am not a huge fan of love triangles either. And Katniss and Finnick are a great choice. I agree with you too about Gale and Katniss growing apart over the course of the books. I know it's not a popular opinion among some fans, but I did feel that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you on the love triangle thing - and with Katniss/ Peeta/ Gale. I also really liked the relationship between Katniss and Finnick. :)

    ReplyDelete