Monday, April 10, 2017

Riverdale In A Lonely Place

Image result for riverdale images


#PollyCooperKilledMyBrother

So tweets Cheryl after her friend Ginger overhears the gang talking in the student lounge about Polly escaping from Sisters of Quiet Mercy. So begins a twist- filled episode which mainly shows us Polly coming back into circulation after the Blossoms try to trick Betty into turning Polly over to them. A lot happened in this one so let's jump right in. Spoilers abound as always. 

There's a lot of Jughead and his dad FP in this one, along with the Polly revelations. Jughead has a pretty distant relationship with his dad, to the point that he's not even staying at home. And it's clear that FP and Fred have a history too, as we learn that they co- owned Andrews Construction together until they had a falling out. FP has a drinking problem of course, and there's that inconvenient gang membership thing too, which we're reminded of when Hermione walks in to find him working with Fred again. No, that won't be awkward. 

I wasn't crazy about the FP revelations to be honest, I'm not that into the character, and Jughead being implicated in Jason Blossom's death caused similar eye- rolling. I love how all these kids hang out together even as their parents are manipulating or being manipulated. It's all interconnected and messy. And awkward, one would think as they're all hanging out? 

Far more interesting to me were the Polly revelations. Alice Cooper gets the better of the Blossoms when she announces that Polly is pregnant with Jason's baby, and won't she please come home? This is shocking to Cheryl, and not for the first time are they not-so-subtly hinting at a little, mm, twincest? Cheryl certainly seems devastated by the news of Polly's pregnancy, and when they meet at the diner she goes to touch her stomach before stopping herself. And again we see a familiar pattern here, of Cheryl going in like a shark before realizing that she's a guppy compared to her own mom. Faced with the reality of what her parents want to do, she breaks with them and warns Polly. The queen bee who does the right thing when the chips are down- that's Cheryl. 

So we're left with Polly taking refuge with Hermione and Veronica. To be honest the idea of Betty, veronica and Cheryl working together against the Blossoms (and let's face it, the Coopers as well) is appealing- are all the parents on this show assholes? And all the FP/ Jughead stuff is vindicated, I suppose, by the reveal at the end and a certain varsity jacket in FP's closet. Is he a killer? 

Random Thoughts

"Honestly, guys, we should just move," says Veronica when they're all sitting around talking about how f'ed up everything is. 

#PollyCooperKilledMyBrother and #NoWhereToHide - imagine being on Cheryl's Twitter feed. Seriously. 

As bad as the Blossoms are, are the Coopers any better? Both of her parents lie to her when they tell Betty that Polly wants to give the baby up- not knowing that Polly told Betty her parents would MAKE her do that. 

"She's ten years old and listens to Pink Floyd on vinyl. I don't think she could get any cooler," says Jughead referring to his sister Jellybean. Seriously, the names???

9 comments:

  1. I've seen you mention this show but knew nothing about it so I just had to read a summary. This sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Now I just need to find it! And yeah the Jughead/Jellybean name thing is definitely a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little over the top but it's fun! :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you Greg: as much as I feel for Jughead and his horrible home life, I didn't really care for the FP reveals. They felt very over the top and ham-fisted, honestly. Too many cliches around alcoholism and how people act when they're alcoholics, in my opinion. I do like his character more in later episodes though...just saying! ;)

    Cheryl's twitter feed would be lit but also kind of scary. Imagine the subtweets! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah FP's not really working for me. Although as they make him more three dimensional (rather than just stereotypical drunk gang dude) I think I'll like him better. And I liked Jughead a lot!

      Yes no doubt! The DRAMA! lol

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to watch this. I've read really mixed reviews for it but I only vaguely remember the comics so I won't be comparing or expecting anything so it might go better for me.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read the comics so I kinda went into it blind. I know their take doesn't sit well with some as it deviates from the comic but taken as its own I like it.

      Delete
  4. I couldn't get into this one. I think it is such a departure from the comics that I had a hard time just getting rid of my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's common reaction, they do seem to deviate from the comics a lot. I'm usually a purist so if I knew the comics I might not like it either!

      Delete
  5. Oh you have some catching up to do. I liked Jughead and his dad simply because I like Jughead. I like tragedies. I read Jughead's backstory in the new version of Archie so there is a reason for his name. Not one I can remember exactly... I don't know what's up with Jellybean either. I'm we will get to meet her one of these days.
    Cheryl's hash tagging was killing me lol.
    Are you caught up on the show and just not the reviews? I want to know what your reaction is to the last episode now.

    ReplyDelete