Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Queens of Geek

Queens of Geek

Queens of Geek is a cute story about three friends who go to a con and find love, laughs and acceptance- but not just acceptance from others. Acceptance from themselves. That's the main message of the book- to accept yourself for who you are, without apology. And it mostly works. I was attracted to this book mainly because it was set at a convention and between that and the diversity elements I was really curious how this would work out.

Charlie, Taylor and Jamie have just arrived from Australia to attend SupaCon, a huge convention (think San Diego Comic Con) and they're geeked to be there- but super nervous too. Or at least Charlie and Taylor are. Charlie is a famous vlogger and has been in an indie movie so she's a VIP guest, while Taylor is a cosplayer who wants to meet the author of her favorite books. Jamie is Taylor's best friend (as well as being the guy she's secretly in love with) and they're all looking forward to having a good time. But things don't go as planned when Charlie learns her movie co- star Reese will be there- he broke her heart after they got together on set- and Taylor misses her chance to meet Skyler Atkins, her favorite author.

Some good things happen too however. Charlie meets Alyssa Huntington, another Youtube star with a huge following, and there's an immediate attraction. At the same time Taylor and Jamie become closer as Taylor deals with her social anxiety and enters a cosplay contest in spite of it. The chapters alternate between Charlie and Taylor as they navigate their way through the convention- and their suddenly more complicated love lives!

Jen Wilde dedicates this book to the geeks and weirdos, the misfits and the outcasts, her people as she calls them- and I think anyone who has felt excluded or marginal can relate. Charlie has trouble opening up to Alyssa because of what she went through with Reese, and Taylor is on the autism spectrum and has social anxiety as well. Charlie is bisexual and Taylor has body shaming issues she deals with, so there is lots of diversity. I won't pretend I can declare it a success or failure in terms of representation but I was moved by their stories and thought it was done well.

The only issue I had were a few times where I wondered- do people really talk like this? I mean, in real life. I thought the points about diversity were almost being explained as teaching moments rather than just being who these people were (but not all of who they were)- as the story moved on that seemed to correct itself. I think the author is trying to reach out and show people they're not alone, and I respect that- it just seemed a little too on the nose initially. It definitely felt more natural and organic as it went on.   

39 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun book---I do get frustrated sometimes when I feel like I'm being "taught" about diversity, so I'm glad it got more natural as the book progressed.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! And I'm the same way, I was glad it seemed like a more natural discussion as it went on.

      Delete
  2. Awesome, review, Greg. I love the message and I can see the author is trying her best to represent it, but I can see your issue. I read a book before and had the same dilemma as you did. The message was great but the dialogues were a hit and miss at times. I couldn't relate to the story and couldn't imagine people would as well sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the only thing with this one was I wasn't sure the dialogues were how people really talk- not all of them, just some. But in spite of that this was a pretty good book!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like even with the issues it was a good read. I love the idea of it at a Con and having alternating POVs. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. And I loved it being set at a con!

      Delete
  4. I usually like books with alternating POV's and I think it makes for a really fast read most of the time. I love the cover - would love to have purple in my hair! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like alternating POV's too and it worked here. And yes I love that cover too!!

      Delete
  5. Heh. I am loving this one -- especially that it's based in a con! Be still my con-loving heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I know! I loved that it was set at a con...

      Delete
  6. "I thought the points about diversity were almost being explained as teaching moments rather than just being who these people were"

    You explained that so much better than I did in my review lol

    It was a great book and I really enjoyed it but I did feel the same as you at times. And you're right - it did get better as the book went on and felt more organic to the story.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like such a fun book! The cover is cool as well. Great review. ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that cover. And it was pretty fun.

      Delete
  8. I have the ARC of this book. I plan on reading it next week when I am recovering from surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds good and I love that it takes place at a con! I wonder if this is the author's first book? That could explain that teaching moment feel at the beginning. Once it gets through that it does sound great and I like that the characters learn to accept themselves as well as be accepted by others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that too. The con setting really added something. And I don't think this is her first book, but I agree that could explain something like that

      The acceptance messages were really nice.

      Delete
  10. I am ok with teaching as long as you're not preaching.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  11. I flip-flopped so many times on whether to get this for review. Unfortunately I flopped and didn't get it. I'll have to wishlist it. Now I'm super curios about how they talked. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit I got it because it was set at a con and I liked the cover. Am I shallow? Ha ha probably! Glad I got it though...

      Delete
  12. This sounds interesting. I have never been to a con so the setting is a big plus for me. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The con setting was a big part of the appeal.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a great message and like it does have lots of diversity. That's good that the messages got more organic as the story went on because yeah, it feels unnatural when it's, like, explained and spoonfed to you. Overall sounds like you enjoyed it though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of diversity. And handled well for the most part- again just a little on the nose in the beginning. I did like it though.

      Delete
  14. I adored this novel SO MUCH! It was cute, quirky and fun, and the romances were SO ADORABLE. I did feel like the book felt a bit lecture-y at some parts, but I overlooked it mostly, because maybe younger audiences will be able to learn from it. Anyhow, it was a solid four star book for me. :) Great review!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romances were very adorable. And I agree with you, I think this book could help a lot of people maybe understand themself more, or accept?

      Delete
  15. I'm not sure that I would have picked this up on my own, but after reading your review, I feel it's totally relatable for those of us who were bullied because we wanted to read and study while in school. It also sounds so adorably fun. This is proof that there's someone for each of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! It is fun, and it definitely has a you're-not-alone message, which I think is so important. The author even dedicated the book to people who feel marginalized.

      Delete
  16. Sure maybe, though mostly I just want pink hair like that

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the cover for this one, it just looks pretty with the pink hair. It sounds like it was a good read as well, the convention setting sounds fun and that's a good message the book has. I am glad that as the book progressed it felt less like teaching moments and more natural. The characters do sound interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that this is set at a con! I'm not crazy about books that kind of belabor the message they're trying to get across, but I'm glad to hear that the book eased up on that as it went on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had this on my TBR for a little while and despite the few flaws you point out I still think I'll read. I don't love teaching moments in books but if it corrects itself as it goes along I can work with that. Especially as it seems to include a diverse cast of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bought this recently and I am so excited to read it soon! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This one does sound fun. Thanks for sharing your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like the author gained more confidence in the telling of the story as it went along. I would be curious to read this one. I haven't ever really gone to a con before, but my husband has. I keep thinking of the couple that met at one for the Walking Dead and were featured on the Talking Dead not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you read this and liked it! It was one of the books I picked for my Birthday =)

    ReplyDelete